Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 168463 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #25: January 09, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
:spit:

In truth it doesn't look that much different than a late 80's/early 90's action flick, except that most of those movies have the added layer of nostalgia and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #26: January 09, 2012, 04:20:58 PM »
Chief - are you sure you don't post on the MLB Board under the name Edward J...

Offline The Chief

« Reply #27: January 09, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
Chief - are you sure you don't post on the MLB Board under the name Edward J...

Pretty sure, though if you're referring to EddieJC, he's a member here as well - doesn't post very often though.  Why?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #28: January 09, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
Pretty sure, though if you're referring to EddieJC, he's a member here as well - doesn't post very often though.  Why?

:crackup:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: January 09, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
Does anyone else think "Haywire" looks stupid and like a flop waiting to happen?  I can't believe the star power they put together for that movie just to put some MMA chick who probably can't act at the center of it all.

I think it could be ok, most female (and male) action stars can't act, and still manage to star in watchable movies

Offline The Chief

« Reply #30: January 09, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »
But that's just it, she's not an action star

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #31: January 09, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »

She's a hot MMA chick and thats all. I know that sounds terrible but its probably the truth. They decided that "Hey, she can fight in real life, she'd be cool in some action movie!"

Offline The Chief

« Reply #32: January 09, 2012, 06:34:21 PM »
She's a hot MMA chick and thats all. I know that sounds terrible but its probably the truth. They decided that "Hey, she can fight in real life, she'd be cool in some action movie!"

Yep.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #33: January 09, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »
Yep.

I'm not going to see the movie, even though I enjoy some of the male actors performances. Her acting is going to destroy my view of her.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: January 09, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »

How much worse can she be than any other action star then?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #35: January 09, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »

Shrug, not really my point.  She has no acting chops whatsoever, and they're just throwing her into a leading action role with all of these other established talents around her and asking the audience to accept that she's awesome on screen just because she kicks ass in real life.  It's a movie, aka fantasy/fiction - it just doesn't work that way, and frankly she's not hot enough to pull in the drooling tween audience either (esp with zero name recognition).  The only people I see going to see this movie are MMA junkies (even then, I'm not sure how popular women's MMA is compared to men's) and a random smattering of people who will just go see anything.

I'm probably coming across stronger on this than I actually care about it in real life, I just don't understand the decision from a business standpoint.  The whole thing looks like Bourne Identity but without Bourne.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #36: January 09, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »

Does she even have lines?  :shrug:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: January 09, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
The rock keeps getting roles; acting ability isn't a prerequisite to having leading roles

Offline The Chief

« Reply #38: January 09, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »
The rock keeps getting roles; acting ability isn't a prerequisite to having leading roles

How is that relevant?  He hasn't been in a movie that wasn't doofy kids crap since Walking Tall (which was actually halfway decent).  This is her first movie that I'm aware of.

Edit, I take that back, she was in one other movie that appears to be an MMA movie, a video game, and a TV series :hammer:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #39: January 09, 2012, 08:48:52 PM »

But the Rock is decent at acting. I mean he was part of WWE which has acting. MMA doesn't.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #40: January 10, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »
The Rock is a great actor. Look at Be Cool, The Rundown or Southland Tales. The man can act.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #41: January 10, 2012, 01:08:27 AM »
The Rock is a great actor. Look at Be Cool, The Rundown or Southland Tales. The man can act.

The Rundown is one of those films where I can always watch. The Rock was awesome in that.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #42: January 11, 2012, 12:16:26 AM »
THESE ARE MY DEMANDS.

Hollywood must make a movie where Nicolas Cage and Keanu Reeves are FBI agents who form an unlikely duo.

THESE ARE MY DEMANDS.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #43: January 11, 2012, 12:32:16 AM »
THESE ARE MY DEMANDS.

Hollywood must make a movie where Nicolas Cage and Keanu Reeves are FBI agents who form an unlikely duo.

THESE ARE MY DEMANDS.

Blood Alley. When a ring of Mexican coke dealers infiltrates the Ohio Amish country, slick, emotionless FBI agent Traynor (Keanu Reeves) must partner up with the violently alcoholic local deputy, McHart (Nicolas Cage), to stop the threat. They lay a trap for the local gang leader, Señor Gambas (Danny Trejo), but instead mistakenly capture his idiot stepbrother, Choco (James Roday). McHart and Traynor interrogate Choco endlessly but to no avail, so McHart inserts himself in the gang undercover in the hopes of busting the outfit. Things spin out of control when McHart learns that Traynor is banging his wife Stephanie (Summer Glau).

Spoiler alert: Summer Glau is actually the ringleader of the coke dealers. One night when Keanu Reeves comes over to bang her, after an explicit scene in which we see Keanu's orgasm face (which is the same as his normal face), she stabs him with something enormous and unwieldy, like a rifle bayonet or a walrus tusk. Nicolas Cage returns home, shouts hysterically, murders her, and goes on a psychotic rampage, running Amish carriages off the road and decapitating Danny Trejo in a biker bar. In the final scene, we see the retarded James Roday struggling with his new responsibility as leader of the gang, attempting to pull off his first big delivery.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #44: January 11, 2012, 01:19:47 AM »
Blood Alley. When a ring of Mexican coke dealers infiltrates the Ohio Amish country, slick, emotionless FBI agent Traynor (Keanu Reeves) must partner up with the violently alcoholic local deputy, McHart (Nicolas Cage), to stop the threat. They lay a trap for the local gang leader, Señor Gambas (Danny Trejo), but instead mistakenly capture his idiot stepbrother, Choco (James Roday). McHart and Traynor interrogate Choco endlessly but to no avail, so McHart inserts himself in the gang undercover in the hopes of busting the outfit. Things spin out of control when McHart learns that Traynor is banging his wife Stephanie (Summer Glau).

Spoiler alert: Summer Glau is actually the ringleader of the coke dealers. One night when Keanu Reeves comes over to bang her, after an explicit scene in which we see Keanu's orgasm face (which is the same as his normal face), she stabs him with something enormous and unwieldy, like a rifle bayonet or a walrus tusk. Nicolas Cage returns home, shouts hysterically, murders her, and goes on a psychotic rampage, running Amish carriages off the road and decapitating Danny Trejo in a biker bar. In the final scene, we see the retarded James Roday struggling with his new responsibility as leader of the gang, attempting to pull off his first big delivery.

The John Wayne movie?

Also, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is remarkably watchable except when the freaking gorilla jumps off the Golden Gate Bridge into a helicopter .

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #45: January 13, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
On a scale of 1 to 10, the movie "The Descendants" gets a rating of negative 3

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #46: January 14, 2012, 12:11:18 AM »

It's an Alexander Payne movie, what did you expect?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #47: January 14, 2012, 07:03:41 AM »
I'm not familiar with Alexander Payne

It's an Alexander Payne movie, what did you expect?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #48: January 14, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »

Wow, what for? - I mean, I already could kinda tell that I didn't want to see it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #49: January 14, 2012, 10:10:16 AM »
Wow, what for? - I mean, I already could kinda tell that I didn't want to see it.

I thought it was actually pretty good, a solid 6.  If I had to give it a triple slash, like I do with albums, I'd give it this one:

.250/.350/.400/.750

"Melancholia", on the other hand, get this:

.350/.450/.650/1.100