Author Topic: The Weather (2012)  (Read 44651 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: The Weather (2012)
« Reply #950: November 02, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
The one in Holland is a system of louvres that can be raised to keep out floodwater during the big storms they get every winter.  Most of the country is below sea level, and the old medieval dykes used to fail from time to time with catastrophic results...so they built these things.  I gather they have yet to fail despite some of the biggest North Sea storms ever recorded in the past 7 or 8 years.   

what exactly "is" that?

Offline blue911

« Reply #951: November 02, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »
This is America, our only "engineering" achievements are getting morons to play games on Fecesbook and building speculative pricing models based on faulty assumptions.

Hey now, we manage to freak up the Mississippi doesn't that count?

• babble on
« Reply #952: November 02, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »
Right, and it takes a great nation to make the everglades burn 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #953: November 02, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »

the everglades have combustable material- making a river burn takes skill

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #954: November 02, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »

This really belongs in the Food thread with alligator and Burmese python recipes.

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #955: November 02, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »

True.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #956: November 02, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
And here we go again, some models are showing a nor'easter hitting NJ/NY next week.  here's the NWS wind map (numbers represent peak gusts).

Still too early to predict anything with any measure of certainty though this bears watching.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #957: November 02, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »
^

most are saying it's going to hit NE rather than nyc/nj again.  regardless, it won't be anything near as strong as sandy.

Offline imref

« Reply #958: November 02, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
^

most are saying it's going to hit NE rather than nyc/nj again.  regardless, it won't be anything near as strong as sandy.

yeah, but still a major nor'easter in an area with a lot of tarp-covered roofs will suck.  Hopefully it does go somewhere else.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #959: November 05, 2012, 04:17:49 AM »
Great post. I lived through Andrew in FL; you simply don't understand the power and damage associated with a real hurricane until you live through it.

Also, all that old Jersey Shore infrastructure was simply not built to withstand hurricanes.

Yeah, but that's *exactly* what I said. We got hit with the majority of the rain. DC. NJ got worse winds, to be sure, but we had 60-80mph winds here and they only 20mph higher, at worst.

Andrew was devestating because it was a devastating storm with insane winds. Sandy was devastating because it hit a bunch of ocean properties that hadn't been hit in decades. My point was exactly that. We got hit with more rain and a little less wind. We are smiling and relatively unharmed, they have total devastation.

In regards to JCA's "I'm an jerk." That is unquestionably true. But the fact still stands. The Mid Atlantic seaboard got hit roughly equally, hammered by a nasty storm. Yet NJ is in ruins because it's on the freaking beach. Look, I feel bad for them, no one should have to go through that. But if you don't want to go through that, don't live on the goddamn ocean. It is exactly like I said: In a year or twenty years, I'm not going to have a ton of compassion when thousands are killed in LA when the big one hits. Not because I don't care they die or suffer. But because you couldn't pay me enough to live in LA or SF. They'll get hit with a major earth quake in my lifetime. Just like the midwest, chances are you live your life there and encounter at least one tornado. Or Katrina, living in a city below sea level on the sea! Or all these beachhomes on the East Coast or cities by the ocean will get wiped out by a hurricane or a tsunami. I wouldn't even live near Yellowstone in the infinitely small chance the volcano goes.

You choose to live on the ocean, that's great, enjoy it. But enjoy it knowing this event was almost a given to happen in your lifetime, and probably will again. 9/11 was horrible. If a terrorist blows a nuke here and kills us all, that's horrible. But humanity seems to have this expectation this is our planet, and we have every right to live anywhere despite the realities of nature. As I said, I'm sure Pompeii was a beautiful place to live. But earthquakes on fault lines happen, hurricanes and tsunamis reclaim beachlands on a frequent basis. It's the price paid for living there, but this "how could this happen, why us" stuff is nuts. We got hit with the same storm and fared infinitely better. Because we don't live on the ocean.

Rant over.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #960: November 05, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
Every location in the United States is subject to weather that can kill and destroy property,  it doesn't follow that there is no reason for sympathy when it happens

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #961: November 05, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »
Collie - the idea that the storm surge in the mid-Atlantic was near what hit from Atlantic city northwards just is wrong. 

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #962: November 05, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »
Collie - the idea that the storm surge in the mid-Atlantic was near what hit from Atlantic city northwards just is wrong. 

Dude's a dipcrap.  Put him on ignore and move on and save yourself the frustration.

• babble on
« Reply #963: November 05, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
Uh...Miami is not on the coast?  Or for that matter, the entire population of South Florida?

Yeah, but that's *exactly* what I said. We got hit with the majority of the rain. DC. NJ got worse winds, to be sure, but we had 60-80mph winds here and they only 20mph higher, at worst.

Andrew was devestating because it was a devastating storm with insane winds. Sandy was devastating because it hit a bunch of ocean properties that hadn't been hit in decades. My point was exactly that. We got hit with more rain and a little less wind. We are smiling and relatively unharmed, they have total devastation.

In regards to JCA's "I'm an jerk." That is unquestionably true. But the fact still stands. The Mid Atlantic seaboard got hit roughly equally, hammered by a nasty storm. Yet NJ is in ruins because it's on the freaking beach. Look, I feel bad for them, no one should have to go through that. But if you don't want to go through that, don't live on the goddamn ocean. It is exactly like I said: In a year or twenty years, I'm not going to have a ton of compassion when thousands are killed in LA when the big one hits. Not because I don't care they die or suffer. But because you couldn't pay me enough to live in LA or SF. They'll get hit with a major earth quake in my lifetime. Just like the midwest, chances are you live your life there and encounter at least one tornado. Or Katrina, living in a city below sea level on the sea! Or all these beachhomes on the East Coast or cities by the ocean will get wiped out by a hurricane or a tsunami. I wouldn't even live near Yellowstone in the infinitely small chance the volcano goes.

You choose to live on the ocean, that's great, enjoy it. But enjoy it knowing this event was almost a given to happen in your lifetime, and probably will again. 9/11 was horrible. If a terrorist blows a nuke here and kills us all, that's horrible. But humanity seems to have this expectation this is our planet, and we have every right to live anywhere despite the realities of nature. As I said, I'm sure Pompeii was a beautiful place to live. But earthquakes on fault lines happen, hurricanes and tsunamis reclaim beachlands on a frequent basis. It's the price paid for living there, but this "how could this happen, why us" stuff is nuts. We got hit with the same storm and fared infinitely better. Because we don't live on the ocean.

Rant over.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #964: November 05, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »
AtBC's 97 year old grandma lost power and heat for 3 days, and I assure you she is not on the coast in NJ.

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #965: November 05, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »
Uh...Miami is not on the coast?  Or for that matter, the entire population of South Florida?

Dude's a dipcrap, you'd be better off arguing with the Capricorn Victim lady that hangs out at Union Station than this maroon.

Offline imref

« Reply #966: November 05, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
we have a person in central NJ who just got power back on Sunday and is still struggling to find gas.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #967: November 06, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »

Wasn't that what I was asking in my original post? We got the worst of the rain. That was why I began asking what exactly caused the massive devastation in NJ and NY if it wasn't the coastline living.

In regards to Andrew - Yeah, most of FL is on the coast. But that was a storm with winds of divine apocalypse standards. Houses nowhere near the coast were destroyed by the winds alone.

At the end of the day, it's simple. I might enjoy having a tree's shade and environmental benefits 99% of the time. But there's a reason there isn't one in my yard, because eventually, live long enough, the freaker will come down. It's clearly different strokes for different folks, the loss and anguish from Sandy is horrible and undeserved. But it's like with climate change, the seas rise and these coastlines are all under water. I was simply perplexed and misanthropic at the "How could this happen? Why us?" crap that literally every broadcast aired.

Nobody bothers responding to the comparison to LA... If you have a brain cell, you know eventually, almost definitely in my lifetime, the city might be nearly destroyed by an earthquake. If it's worth the risk, more power to them. But there is a way to avoid this crap, and that's by not living in a place where once every century you'll have massive natural destruction. There is a reason I don't and never will live anywhere near the coast, near a fault line, near Tornado alley, near a volcano, in SE Asia where a tsunami is likely, etc. Etc. Etc. Why I have no trees and a generator. Short of God personally targeting my home, I don't have to worry about anything but the tiny possibility of a once a millennia Cat 5 with winds of total loss destruction. There is a way to avoid this type of stuff, and that's by knowing if, over a normal human lifespan, the odds of mother nature coming to rape you is a near definitive. Likewise I realize living here that if nuclear war ever happens, I'll be one of the first dead with DC the prime target. In that case I don't want anyone's sympathy, because that's a chance I take and accept by living here.

Andrew is the perfect parallel. This storm was barely a hurricane. If a Cat 5 ever hits, it'll rake across the land and kill folks hundreds of miles from the shore. Then there's a legitimate "Holy crap, who could have expected that?"

But when properties on the coast get washed away, the human toll is equally horrific, but there just isn't that "Who could have thought this would ever happen?" Because I can guarantee in the next century Sandy is gonna look like a joke. You'll get that one perfect storm in August, a Cat 4 or higher hitting the Mid Atlantic. Then everything they rebuild now goes bye bye again, and people miles away unmolested by Sandy will lose everything too. This storm, on the grand scheme of things, was basically a tropical storm. There is no cause for the massive impact save for the coastline thing, because like I said, when they have 160mph winds, 70-80mph of Sandy is going to seem laughable.

As far as this new jerk poster who needs to go bye-bye if for no other reason than unwarranted, unproductive and vile personal attacks, kindly freak off k thnx. Go back to rooting to the Redskins, any moron registering in the past month should stick with your lifelong passion for the Yankees or Red Sox.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #969: November 07, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »
:?

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #970: November 07, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
At the end of the day, it's simple. I might enjoy having a tree's shade and environmental benefits 99% of the time. But there's a reason there isn't one in my yard, because eventually, live long enough, the freaker will come down. It's clearly different strokes for different folks, the loss and anguish from Sandy is horrible and undeserved. But it's like with climate change, the seas rise and these coastlines are all under water. I was simply perplexed and misanthropic at the "How could this happen? Why us?" crap that literally every broadcast aired.

I hope somebody gets you a Columbian necktie for CHRISTmas.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #971: November 07, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »
I hope somebody gets you a Columbian necktie for CHRISTmas.

I was with ya through Columbian ....  I was thinking 3 fingers.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #972: November 07, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »
This is America, our only "engineering" achievements are getting morons to play games on Fecesbook and building speculative pricing models based on faulty assumptions.

Not true, we make these cool baseball stadia with roofs that open and close depending on the weather.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #973: December 04, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
We just had the reconstruction/restoration of our house from June's storm damage finished last week and moved back into our house 5 months almost to the day after the Derecho.   Nice to be back. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #974: December 04, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »
We just had the reconstruction/restoration of our house from June's storm damage finished last week and moved back into our house 5 months almost to the day after the Derecho.   Nice to be back. 

Good for you GNats.    Sleep well   ....