Author Topic: Barry Bonds Knows All About "Team"  (Read 584 times)

Barry Bonds Knows All About "Team"
« Topic Start: July 27, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/giants/2007-07-26-Giants-not-thrilled_N.htm

Some Giants not thrilled with Bonds' homer chase
By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY

SAN FRANCISCO — They want to get caught up in the media frenzy and show their passion for baseball history, but Barry Bonds' home run chase has turned into more of a nuisance than a celebration for some in the San Francisco Giants' clubhouse.

"We might have someone throw a no-hitter one night," shortstop Omar Vizquel says, "and nobody will care about the guy. Everyone will just walk over and stand by Barry Bonds' locker. No one's concerned about the Giants. They couldn't care less about what's happening outside Barry Bonds' locker."

Vizquel moved past Ozzie Smith into second place last week by playing his 2,513th career game at shortstop. Bonds remained two home runs shy Thursday of Hank Aaron's all-time home run record, and Vizquel wonders how many other accomplishments will go unnoticed in the shadow of all things Bonds.

"I don't think three people in here even know I passed Ozzie," says Vizquel, who donated his jersey to the Hall of Fame. "And if they do know, they couldn't care less.

"There's only one record anyone around here cares about."

And, unfortunately with the Giants' struggles (43-57 after Thursday's win vs. the Atlanta Braves), it may not be the team record.

"I don't know what the goal is here anymore," pitcher Matt Morris said last week after Bonds' two-homer game in Chicago. "It's just something we've got to deal with. We're almost waiting to get it over with."

It could be awhile. Bonds has homered in just one game since July 3, and despite his seventh-inning double, is immersed in a 6-for-42 (.143) slump.

"I can't explain it," Bonds said.

Despite his struggles, Bonds was in a cheerful mood before the game. He pitched to teammates' kids in the Giants' family game, pulled the tooth out of teammate Dave Roberts' 6-year-old son and was congenial with reporters.

Bonds didn't address any steroid topics but reminded reporters that the gene pool in his family is fabulous, helping produce boxers, football players, track stars, baseball players, and even a "wolf trainer."

"You're bound to get one," Bonds said, speaking of himself, "that's better than anyone else."

natsfan1a