Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40193 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #125: February 11, 2010, 12:32:14 AM »
Apparently Jason Puffenbarger walked through this blizzard to go to Olde Towne Tavern in Frederick.  Don't know who that is, but he is nearby so his buzzes show up ;)

yep. the mobile client is super-intrusive.

which shocks me that more people aren't talking about it. they too busy whining about their wife looking through their follower list to find their girlfriend on the side, to be worried about some stranger knowing EXACTLY WHERE THEY ARE.

priorities, people.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #126: February 11, 2010, 12:34:54 AM »
Not only that, but I'm apparently already following someone!!! :lmao:

I'm automatically following JMad :rofl:

got your pm.

:rofl:

you are following my old gmail account, that I deleted a while ago. it doesn't even exist anymore. that's from when I invited you to Google Wave.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #127: February 11, 2010, 06:34:09 AM »
some fun facts about this overblown Google Profile Privacy problem:

Your Google Profile only lists the Names of people you follow, that have Public Profiles.  If the person does not have a Public Profile, then they won't be listed. The Followers list says "And X other people who do not have public profiles".

You have to specifically create a Google Profile. And, as far as I know, unless you created it through Buzz(which requires a Public Profile to use), the Profile is Private, by default. You have to 1) Opt to make your profile public, and 2) add a sufficient amount of information (Normally, a Picture and a Link and a short Bio is good enough) before your profile is even seeable.

so if your GMail Contact(Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, Mistress, whomever) that you don't want listed does not have a Public Google Profile......they won't be listed. By default.

Now of course, if everyone on your GMail Contacts already has a Public Google Profile, then you are screwed. I don't have an answer for that one.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #128: February 11, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »
as far as I can tell you have to opt-in to Buzz in the first place.

when mine was activated, I got a splash screen asking me if I wanted to join, or if I wanted to just go to my email.

but then again, I'm probably the only one who got that choice. everyone else was forced at gunpoint by Teh Evil Google.

but beyond that I understand what you are saying.

After reading all this, I went to check my gmail. It prompted me with the same screen and I said "go to gmail" where I turned off buzz and that was that. Of course I don't have a Google Profile created so I don't think any "harm" was done.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #129: February 11, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »
And now for a different question:

I have the need to convert some charts from Powerpoint, Word & Excel into PNG files for posting to a web site.  I've found this approach to be the easiest method on my Mac:

- open the word/ppt/excel file
- zoom in to get the chart to the size I want
- Press cmd-shift-4 to turn cursor into a cross-hair.  Drag the cross-hair over the chart while holding down the shift key, when I let go it automatically generates a PNG file of what i've highlighted.

Is there an equivalent application/function for Windows XP?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #130: February 11, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »
JMad, believe whatever you like.  I'm tired of trying to explain things to someone whose attitude is at best dismissive.  You complain about the "football mentality" of politics, and yet you've displayed the same attitude in this discussion.  No one here was making this out to be an "end of the world omg" issue, but you seem intent to characterize any arguments that don't align with your views as such.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I was just trying to explain to you why this DOES matter to a lot of people, even if it doesn't matter to you.

Offline imref

« Reply #131: February 11, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »
some fun facts about this overblown Google Profile Privacy problem:

Your Google Profile only lists the Names of people you follow, that have Public Profiles.  If the person does not have a Public Profile, then they won't be listed. The Followers list says "And X other people who do not have public profiles".

You have to specifically create a Google Profile. And, as far as I know, unless you created it through Buzz(which requires a Public Profile to use), the Profile is Private, by default. You have to 1) Opt to make your profile public, and 2) add a sufficient amount of information (Normally, a Picture and a Link and a short Bio is good enough) before your profile is even seeable.

so if your GMail Contact(Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, Mistress, whomever) that you don't want listed does not have a Public Google Profile......they won't be listed. By default.

Now of course, if everyone on your GMail Contacts already has a Public Google Profile, then you are screwed. I don't have an answer for that one.

to boil it down, the basic argument is that Buzz users should be required to explicitly allow Google to publish your list of followers/following to your profile rather than assume you want it published to the world.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #132: February 11, 2010, 09:27:30 AM »
JMad, believe whatever you like.  I'm tired of trying to explain things to someone whose attitude is at best dismissive.  You complain about the "football mentality" of politics, and yet you've displayed the same attitude in this discussion.  No one here was making this out to be an "end of the world omg" issue, but you seem intent to characterize any arguments that don't align with your views as such.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I was just trying to explain to you why this DOES matter to a lot of people, even if it doesn't matter to you.

ok chief. i just don't think it is nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

and make no mistake about it, people ARE making out to be a "end of the world omg" issue. YOU may not be. but tons of people are. and it is silly. especially in light of all the OTHER issues that Buzz has at the moment.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #133: February 11, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »
to boil it down, the basic argument is that Buzz users should be required to explicitly allow Google to publish your list of followers/following to your profile rather than assume you want it published to the world.

understood.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #134: February 11, 2010, 09:35:16 AM »
And now for a different question:

I have the need to convert some charts from Powerpoint, Word & Excel into PNG files for posting to a web site.  I've found this approach to be the easiest method on my Mac:

- open the word/ppt/excel file
- zoom in to get the chart to the size I want
- Press cmd-shift-4 to turn cursor into a cross-hair.  Drag the cross-hair over the chart while holding down the shift key, when I let go it automatically generates a PNG file of what i've highlighted.

Is there an equivalent application/function for Windows XP?

I don't think there is anything that easy for xp (at least not that I've come across) thus I always use my mac like you mentioned.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #135: February 11, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »
Win 7 and I think Vista have a snipping tool that do the same thing you describe, but there is no such built-in functionality in XP that I'm aware of.  ALT + PRINT SCREEN will capture the entire application window to the clipboard, but then you'd have to paste it in paint or some other application, and you'd have to get rid of the window borders.  You could also try a third party tool like SnagIt.

If none of the above are practical or desirable options, I'd say just keep doing it on the Mac side.  No sense re-inventing the wheel if you've already got a method that works.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #136: February 11, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
And JMad, here is perhaps a less sensationalist take on the Buzz privacy issue.  Similar examples to the other article, but fleshed out in a bit more detail - http://gizmodo.com/5469101/google-buzz-is-a-dirty-snitch

I think most people are less concerned about the privacy issue itself and more annoyed that Google forced Buzz on everyone unasked.

Offline imref

« Reply #137: February 11, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »
Win 7 and I think Vista have a snipping tool that do the same thing you describe, but there is no such built-in functionality in XP that I'm aware of.  ALT + PRINT SCREEN will capture the entire application window to the clipboard, but then you'd have to paste it in paint or some other application, and you'd have to get rid of the window borders.  You could also try a third party tool like SnagIt.

If none of the above are practical or desirable options, I'd say just keep doing it on the Mac side.  No sense re-inventing the wheel if you've already got a method that works.

Thanks!  I need something for one of our window's users to do the same thing, hence my question.  I am looking at SnagIt, thanks for the tip!

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #138: February 11, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »
And JMad, here is perhaps a less sensationalist take on the Buzz privacy issue.  Similar examples to the other article, but fleshed out in a bit more detail - http://gizmodo.com/5469101/google-buzz-is-a-dirty-snitch

I think most people are less concerned about the privacy issue itself and more annoyed that Google forced Buzz on everyone unasked.

yep. I read that one too.  I couldn't sleep (since I slept till 4pm yesterday), so I read a whole crapload of stuff about Buzz.  and i played around in the app trying to figure it out.

there's an article on Cnet where some woman does everything short of proclaiming Buzz to be the Antichrist come to steal the souls of God's Children. :rofl: 

the reactions run the gamut from that extreme to "wtf are you nagging about?"

Buzz is clearly a love/hate thing and will be for the forseeable future.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #139: February 11, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
privacy issues aside...Buzz is frickin awesomemso far.  Even considering how much work and improvement it needs. (and it DOES need work, it's a very "green" product, so to speak)

It's what Wave should have been. I'm enjoying it immensely, problems and all.

I do think though, that this should have been attached to Google Reader, and not GMail. but I understand why they did the latter.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #140: February 11, 2010, 09:07:34 PM »
privacy issues aside...Buzz is frickin awesomemso far.  Even considering how much work and improvement it needs. (and it DOES need work, it's a very "green" product, so to speak)

It's what Wave should have been. I'm enjoying it immensely, problems and all.

I do think though, that this should have been attached to Google Reader, and not GMail. but I understand why they did the latter.

Wave is useful for work collaboration.

It does not reinvent the email wheel like they indicated, however.

Offline JMW IV

Offline imref

« Reply #142: February 11, 2010, 10:33:52 PM »
that was quick - such is the magic of SaaS!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #143: February 11, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »
Not sure why they made all those changes, it wasn't a big deal :stir:

Also, Ted Taco is an awfully serious looking dude :lol:  I wonder if there's an office prank involved in that.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #144: February 11, 2010, 10:49:26 PM »
Not sure why they made all those changes, it wasn't a big deal :stir:

they realized that most people need to be practically slapped in the face with a giant OFF button, and if that doesn't happen, they'll panic, nag, and moan, rather than seeing if a solution actually exists.

all they really did was make the Off button bigger, if you think about it.

I'm happy though, that this is settled. now they can get to fixing all the rest of the crap that is wrong with Buzz.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #145: February 11, 2010, 10:56:04 PM »
this is relatively funny:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #146: February 11, 2010, 11:00:27 PM »
they realized that most people need to be practically slapped in the face with a giant OFF button, and if that doesn't happen, they'll panic, nag, and moan, rather than seeing if a solution actually exists.

Gracious even in defeat I see :lol:

Oh and btw:

Don't be so gullible McFly :P

Offline The Chief

« Reply #147: February 11, 2010, 11:01:32 PM »
this is relatively funny:

(Image removed from quote.)

Ha, that's good.  Moreso because I used to work for Sprint and definitely had days like that

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #148: February 11, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »
anyhow. Buzz has a bunch of usability problems that need to be corrected.

Twitter integration is absolute crap. just terrible. takes forever for your tweets to show up in Buzz. something like 5 hours or so.

they need to invert the comments so that the most recent ones are at the top. they also need to give us the ability to manually collapse BuzzThreads. we can expand collapsed BuzzThreads, but we cannot collapse them back.

Buzz has a myriad of usability problems, but what is there currently is really good. they just need to fix the problems to make the app more easily usable.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #149: February 11, 2010, 11:36:18 PM »
Playing a little bit with buzz on the iPhone, I'm guessing they're using HTML5 because there were some cool effects going on.

Still a little peeved that they didn't ask me first before turning it on, but none of my contacts were imported except for JMad since he gave me a wave invite.