Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Watch  (Read 100487 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Stephen Strasburg Watch
« Reply #450: March 24, 2009, 09:37:02 AM »
but thats because he was a decent catcher, is Jenkins a better outfielder than Sizemore? Is JA Happ a better pitcher than CC or Johan?

None of these players are retired. Boswell bases his argument on retired pitchers. And as I stated won-lose record for starting pitchers taken with the first overall pick is inherently biased against them.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #451: March 24, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »
EDIT: This is especially true for the first pick overall. Who is likely to be rushed to pitch for a awful team.
Which is exactly what Boswell doesn't understand. That paragraph where he says "Look, Sandy Koufax was .500 his first six years" is just stupid. Who cares? He was SANDY KOUFAX.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #452: March 24, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »
None of these players are retired. Boswell bases his argument on retired pitchers. And as I stated won-lose record for starting pitchers taken with the first overall pick is inherently biased against them.

I'm not looking at win loss record, I'm looking at Prior and Benson. Hate to break it to you but there are retired middle relievers with rings and 6.0 eras and retired greats without rings.

Offline blue911

« Reply #453: March 24, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »
I'm not looking at win loss record, I'm looking at Prior and Benson. Hate to break it to you but there are retired middle relievers with rings and 6.0 eras and retired greats without rings.

What you are failing to understand is that won-lose (this is the third time) isn't the proper measure of whether the draft picks were valid or not.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #454: March 24, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »
What you are failing to understand is that won-lose (this is the third time) isn't the proper measure of whether the draft picks were valid or not.

What you're failing to understand is that I think its worthless as a metric, again I'm looking at Kris Benson and Mark Prior and Brian Bullington, and Matt Anderson

Offline blue911

« Reply #455: March 24, 2009, 11:06:01 AM »
What you're failing to understand is that I think its worthless as a metric, again I'm looking at Kris Benson and Mark Prior and Brian Bullington, and Matt Anderson

That what is worthless?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #456: March 24, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »
That what is worthless?
win loss, just like rings

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #457: March 24, 2009, 11:14:58 AM »
Which is exactly what Boswell doesn't understand. That paragraph where he says "Look, Sandy Koufax was .500 his first six years" is just stupid. Who cares? He was SANDY KOUFAX.

I think his point is that young pitchers have a learning curve, and even the great ones don't start off their careers at the level of performance they later achieve.  And by the time our 6 years of control is up, it's off to NY for the Boras $$ for Strasburg.

Offline blue911

« Reply #458: March 24, 2009, 11:17:46 AM »
I think his point is that young pitchers have a learning curve, and even the great ones don't start off their careers at the level of performance they later achieve.  And by the time our 6 years of control is up, it's off to NY for the Boras $$ for Strasburg.

Then Boswell needs to write food columns. No contract can circumvent the CBA,which means that Strasburg would be under Nats control for up to 9 years.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #459: March 24, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »
Then Boswell needs to write food columns. No contract can circumvent the CBA,which means that Strasburg would be under Nats control for up to 9 years.

3 years and then 3 of arbitration, that would be the fear if Boras pushes for a guarenteed major league contract

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #460: March 24, 2009, 11:21:57 AM »
Boswell is all wet on this ... it would be one thing if we were an established franchise with a history of winning -- we're not -- this organization cannot afford to NOT go after Strasburg at whatever price, the PR hit alone would be enormous -- if you're the Nats, you must go after one of the best pitching prospects to come along in 20 years -- it's a no brainer -- you go after the hitter you covet with 9a ... but you MUST go after the best player available with the number 1 pick, otherwise you're the pirates and the royals -- and this FO has made it very clear that they intend to be a championship caliber organization -- you can't do that without taking risks and spending money

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #461: March 24, 2009, 11:22:15 AM »

Boras is going to insist on a Major league contract, which means 6 years total.  However, I would expect the Nats would be willing to do this anyway especially if we see him in the rotation by year end.  To me it's more the $10m vs. $50m discussion that could mean trouble.

Offline blue911

« Reply #462: March 24, 2009, 11:24:18 AM »
Boras is going to insist on a Major league contract, which means 6 years total.  However, I would expect the Nats would be willing to do this anyway especially if we see him in the rotation by year end.  To me it's more the $10m vs. $50m discussion that could mean trouble.

NO. Three option years then 6 years at the MLB level. 3+6=9. I don't know much about finances but I can add like a MF.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #463: March 24, 2009, 11:26:11 AM »
NO. Three option years then 6 years at the MLB level. 3+6=9. I don't know much about finances but I can add like a MF.

Thats why he will be insisting on the guarenteed major league contract to avoid the three option years

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #464: March 24, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »

its not really 10 v. 50, since the 50 also includes his arbitration years

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #465: March 24, 2009, 11:30:07 AM »
its not really 10 v. 50, since the 50 also includes his arbitration years

That's true, but 10 vs. 50 sounded more dramatic.

Offline blue911

« Reply #466: March 24, 2009, 11:31:20 AM »
Thats why he will be insisting on the guarenteed major league contract to avoid the three option years

You don't understand option years? Son, you may work for a law firm but I doubt if you understanding of the CBA is better than mine.

« Reply #467: March 24, 2009, 11:35:26 AM »
You don't understand option years? Son, you may work for a law firm but I doubt if you understanding of the CBA is better than mine.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #468: March 24, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »
A player with six or more years of major league service is eligible for free agency, regardless of the amount of options remaining.

A player with five or more years of cumulative MLB service cannot be sent to the minors without the player's consent, regardless of options ("veteran's consent clause").

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #469: March 24, 2009, 12:05:02 PM »
You have to sign Strasburg at whatever the cost, but at the same time, as MrMadison and others have said ... there is no way he is going to get what Boras is supposedly asking for.  It's just like the Teix deal.  Some say he'd either get 10 years or 200 million and he didn't get either. 

Strasburg does look like to be one of the best prospects in recent memory and will get his money, but not what is being reported right now.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #470: March 24, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »

9 years until free agency?  Never heard of that one. (and don't say 3 + 6  :lol: )

Offline natinthehat

« Reply #471: March 24, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »
I don't have a problem with Boswell's article.  Somebody needs to temper the hype.  I don't see any way we avoid signing him, and we have very little leverage.  Boras knows the Lerner's have money to spend, and he's going to try and milk it.  These types of articles are in the organization's interest if they help gain any sort of leverage.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #472: March 24, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »
I don't have a problem with Boswell's article.  Somebody needs to temper the hype.  I don't see any way we avoid signing him, and we have very little leverage.  Boras knows the Lerner's have money to spend, and he's going to try and milk it.  These types of articles are in the organization's interest if they help gain any sort of leverage.

This is actually a decent point.  Strasburg is currently the best player in the draft by a long shot, but who is to say what college player will gain some steam in the last months of the season or what high school phenom will emerge on the scene (The Nats are probably going for a MLB-ready arm anyway).  At this point, even if a player did surpass Strasburg, the hype surrounding SS has engulfed the rest of the field.  Hype is a dangerous thing, because players rarely live up to it and Strasburg's praises are reaching unimaginable levels.  I'm not saying don't draft the guy, but I do agree we need to temper the hype.

Maybe it is good to take a step back every now and then and realize WTF is going on...

Offline blue911

« Reply #473: March 24, 2009, 12:36:25 PM »
I didn't realize how many people don't understand how the initial signing worked.

Briefly.

College player signs minor league contract

three years before he has to be added to the 40- man roster. (minor league contract)
three years of options (Major League Contract)
three years of team controlled salary
three years of arbitration.

Total = 3*4 or 12 years.

All Strasburg signing a MLB contract does is take away the first three years. Nothing more,Nothing less.

Now that being said, those are the outside parameters. Ryan Zimmerman and Justin Maxwell were both drafted the same year but Zimmerman is out of options but not Maxwell.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #474: March 24, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »
I didn't realize how many people don't understand how the initial signing worked.

Briefly.

College player signs minor league contract

three years before he has to be added to the 40- man roster. (minor league contract)
three years of options (Major League Contract)
three years of team controlled salary
three years of arbitration.

Total = 3*4 or 12 years.

All Strasburg signing a MLB contract does is take away the first three years. Nothing more,Nothing less.

Now that being said, those are the outside parameters. Ryan Zimmerman and Justin Maxwell were both drafted the same year but Zimmerman is out of options but not Maxwell.

that assumes that he's going to be spending time in the minors and not making the team the year after he's drafted