Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 168556 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #2250: April 19, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »
There are still movie theatres?  Hmph, I assumed they went the way of roller rinks and supper clubs. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2251: April 19, 2016, 02:11:27 PM »
There are still movie theatres?  Hmph, I assumed they went the way of roller rinks and supper clubs. 

3D/IMAX is like sittin' in a lawn chair in the intersection of 18th and Columbia Road on a summer Saturday night.    Doobie in one hand and a Corona in the other waitin' for your buddy to get back from McDonald's with some fresh papas fritas.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2252: April 19, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »
I bet you tweet though.    :)

I keep trying to like twitter but I keep coming back to my first love, facebook :oldy:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2253: April 19, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »
Seeing "To Fly" at the Air & Space Museum pretty much blew my mind as a kid.  In this day & age of sensory overload, I'm not sure what effect IMAX would have.
3D/IMAX is like sittin' in a lawn chair in the intersection of 18th and Columbia Road on a summer Saturday night.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2254: April 19, 2016, 02:23:27 PM »
Seeing "To Fly" at the Air & Space Museum pretty much blew my mind as a kid.  In this day & age of sensory overload, I'm not sure what effect IMAX would have.

Yeah, another great IMAX movie.     I attended the opening of the Air and Space Museum.     :old:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2255: April 19, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »

I saw Everest in Imax and for me anyway it was truly breathtaking at times, closest I'll ever get to knowing what it feels like to climb that sucker, I could totally see where certain movies are definitely enhanced watching them in Imax.  For the most part though I'll take a 2D movie over 3D, that gets to be a bit much to me after awhile. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2256: April 19, 2016, 03:44:37 PM »
Yeah, another great IMAX movie.     I attended the opening of the Air and Space Museum.     :old:
Weren't you at the Wright Brothers initial flight?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2257: April 19, 2016, 03:46:08 PM »
Weren't you at the Wright Brothers initial flight?

I gave Da Vinci the concept.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2258: April 19, 2016, 03:56:05 PM »

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2260: April 19, 2016, 04:05:52 PM »

Ain't that from the Kinks' album cover Lola vs Powerman?   :)

(Went down stairs and looked through my vinyl.    That symbol in on the back album cover of Lola vs Powerman by the Kinks.)

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2261: April 19, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »

I just saw my first iMax/3D movie - definitely had an effect

Offline PC

« Reply #2262: April 30, 2016, 08:13:40 AM »
Why are Captain America and Iron Man fighting each other?  Is this something we're supposed to already know or is it explained in the movie?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2263: April 30, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »
I think it was BrandonK and me who were "talking" about me hiding under my desk during nuke drills in the 50s.    He wasn't familiar with all that (too young) so I recommended "The Atomic Cafe".   I ordered it from Amazon.    I remember seeing it when it was originally released (1982).    As a kid of the MAD era, I can't wait to see it again.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2264: April 30, 2016, 10:02:56 AM »
Matinee is a decent movie about the Cold War crazy

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2265: April 30, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
Why are Captain America and Iron Man fighting each other?  Is this something we're supposed to already know or is it explained in the movie?

It's explained in the movie.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2266: April 30, 2016, 11:53:18 PM »
"Keanu" joins an increasingly long list of movies I am certain I will laugh hysterically at and end up being only somewhat amused by, where did all the funny people in Hollywood go and why won't they make funny movies anymore? :( 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2267: April 30, 2016, 11:56:27 PM »
"Keanu" joins an increasingly long list of movies I am certain I will laugh hysterically at and end up being only somewhat amused by, where did all the funny people in Hollywood go and why won't they make funny movies anymore? :(

Stiffs like Adam Sandler and Will Farrell taught Hollywood that you don't actually have to be funny to make millions...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2268: April 30, 2016, 11:58:43 PM »
Stiffs like Adam Sandler and Will Farrell taught Hollywood that you don't actually have to be funny to make millions...

Happy Gilmore made me laugh  :-[  but yea, we seem to be seriously lacking good comedic actors anymore  :icon_frown:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2269: May 02, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
Happy Gilmore made me laugh  :-[  but yea, we seem to be seriously lacking good comedic actors anymore  :icon_frown:
I don't think it's the actors - it's the writers and directors. Key & Peele are hilarious, they're even hilarious in the movie, but the script just didn't have a ton of great jokes.

I think the thing that's missing is discipline...the classic comedies either had so many jokes that you couldn't help laughing (like Airplane) or the people who made them took a lot of time making sure they were absolutely perfect.

BTW, I saw "Keanu" at the Alamo Drafthouse, which instead of those stupid trivia quizzes and Coke ads, did a 30-minute pre-show cat video compilation.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2270: May 02, 2016, 05:21:35 PM »
I don't think it's the actors - it's the writers and directors. Key & Peele are hilarious, they're even hilarious in the movie, but the script just didn't have a ton of great jokes.

I think the thing that's missing is discipline...the classic comedies either had so many jokes that you couldn't help laughing (like Airplane) or the people who made them took a lot of time making sure they were absolutely perfect.

BTW, I saw "Keanu" at the Alamo Drafthouse, which instead of those stupid trivia quizzes and Coke ads, did a 30-minute pre-show cat video compilation.

I think the cat video compilation would've probably made me laugh more lol
You might be right that it's the writing because yea Key and Peele had a couple of funny moments where I laughed but still, I just miss people who are genuinely funny.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2271: May 02, 2016, 05:25:54 PM »
I think the cat video compilation would've probably made me laugh more lol
You might be right that it's the writing because yea Key and Peele had a couple of funny moments where I laughed but still, I just miss people who are genuinely funny.
K&P are two of the funniest cats on the planet.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2272: May 02, 2016, 05:48:48 PM »
K&P are two of the funniest cats on the planet.

No I know it, that's why I expected this movie to be hysterical and was so disappointed that it wasn't.  Tina Fey makes me laugh every time she opens her mouth and yet her last movie was only mildly amusing as well, I guess houston is on to something thinking it's writing/directing making funny people just so meh  :|

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2273: May 02, 2016, 08:15:39 PM »
oh then this will be perfect for her, no violence whatsoever!!! I mean at one point one animal kills another but it is not prolonged or graphic or anything like that, over in a nano second, it's a a true family movie in every sense.  There is no foul language or stupid car chases or anything, just a really, really great story, awesome characters, it's funny and heartwarming and it looks absolutely gorgeous!

Yes, but the sex scenes are wild

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2274: May 05, 2016, 09:27:15 PM »
Missus and I saw "Barbershop" yesterday.    I expected more comedy.   It was a message film (right message) and got heavy at times.   I do like Ice Cube and Cedric.