Author Topic: Soccer thread (2014/15)  (Read 102536 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Soccer thread (2012)
« Reply #100: December 01, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
7 goals and counting in the first half?!?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #101: December 01, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
[from mitlen a few posts earlier - for some reason the quote mechanism isn't working at this London internet cafe I'm at right now]

Chelsea's in disarray.

---

...to put it mildly...watched them poop the bed at West Ham this afternoon (but at least I watched that in a pub, rather than pay £70 for a seat as I did for the Fulham snoozer this past Wednesday. At least they did score a goal for a change (Mata).

• babble on
« Reply #102: December 01, 2012, 01:37:13 PM »
Probably better not seen in person...Upton Park is like ASBO central.

• babble on
« Reply #103: December 01, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »
It's the Ghost of Dempsey Past vs the Ghost of Dempsey Present

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #104: December 01, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
[from mitlen a few posts earlier - for some reason the quote mechanism isn't working at this London internet cafe I'm at right now]

Chelsea's in disarray.

---

...to put it mildly...watched them poop the bed at West Ham this afternoon (but at least I watched that in a pub, rather than pay £70 for a seat as I did for the Fulham snoozer this past Wednesday. At least they did score a goal for a change (Mata).

TV guys on FOX soccer were speculating that Benitez may not make it to the New Year.

BTW   ...  none of our quote options is working like it used to.   

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #105: December 02, 2012, 04:32:47 AM »
When I was at the Chelsea-Fulham match the boo birds were out in force and 'RAFA OUT' signs were in the stands. He's about as popular at the Bridge as Manny Acta was with fans of the 2009 Nats.

And you may be right - he may not make it to the New Year (in fact there's a story to that effect in this morning's Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4676611/Rafa-Benitez-fears-Chelsea-axe.html) especially if they crash out of Champions League this coming Wednesday - I'll be at the Bridge that evening and everyone will be keeping an eye on the Shakhtar-Juventus score starting at 20.45 - we need help: Chelsea need to beat Nordsjaelland while we need Shakhtar to beat Juventus - if Juventus win or draw it's over for the Blues.

At least yesterday afternoon was redeemed right after the Chelsea fiasco with the England victory over New Zealand in rugby (with a good group of mostly England supporters in the pub).

• babble on
« Reply #106: December 02, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
It's hard to not like Norwich City.  I was worried that they would be one and done when they got promoted, but they look set to stay up.

• babble on
« Reply #107: December 04, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
Man City's European woes continue...

• babble on
« Reply #108: December 05, 2012, 04:10:53 PM »
Nordsjaelland are getting naged around (5-1 and counting), but it doesn't look like it's going to matter.

When I was at the Chelsea-Fulham match the boo birds were out in force and 'RAFA OUT' signs were in the stands. He's about as popular at the Bridge as Manny Acta was with fans of the 2009 Nats.

And you may be right - he may not make it to the New Year (in fact there's a story to that effect in this morning's Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4676611/Rafa-Benitez-fears-Chelsea-axe.html) especially if they crash out of Champions League this coming Wednesday - I'll be at the Bridge that evening and everyone will be keeping an eye on the Shakhtar-Juventus score starting at 20.45 - we need help: Chelsea need to beat Nordsjaelland while we need Shakhtar to beat Juventus - if Juventus win or draw it's over for the Blues.

At least yesterday afternoon was redeemed right after the Chelsea fiasco with the England victory over New Zealand in rugby (with a good group of mostly England supporters in the pub).

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #109: December 06, 2012, 05:57:05 AM »
Nordsjaelland are getting naged around (5-1 and counting), but it doesn't look like it's going to matter.

Nope...overheard at the match that Juventus were up 1-nil, and that's how that finished...on to Europa League, the sport's ultimate consolation prize.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #110: December 09, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »
That was a great game.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #111: December 09, 2012, 10:31:26 AM »
That was a great game.

Wow   ....   shame it got a little crowd rowdy at the end but what a comeback by MC and then the goal in extra time.   Wow   ....

• babble on
« Reply #112: December 15, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
Looks like Man U is going to easily scoop up another 3 points.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #113: December 15, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »
Looks like Man U is going to easily scoop up another 3 points.

Sittin' here watching the "match".   I'm not a soccer expert but what a difference between the skill of the top teams and the bottom teams.    Is it just the money?    Do they have a "cap" system of any kind?    How do you "loan" a player to another team in the same league?

• babble on
« Reply #114: December 15, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »
It's pretty much a combination of the money, plus the prestige (playing for Man U has a lot more cachet than QPR).  But the whole EPL is pretty much like OPEC, and relegation is essentially tantamount to economic death for teams that don't manage to claw their way back up the following season (as West Ham and Newcastle both did).  Some teams (e.g. Leeds United) just go into freefall after being relegated...I think they went all the way down to League 1.

Sittin' here watching the "match".   I'm not a soccer expert but what a difference between the skill of the top teams and the bottom teams.    Is it just the money?    Do they have a "cap" system of any kind?    How do you "loan" a player to another team in the same league?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #115: December 17, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
It's pretty much a combination of the money, plus the prestige (playing for Man U has a lot more cachet than QPR).  But the whole EPL is pretty much like OPEC, and relegation is essentially tantamount to economic death for teams that don't manage to claw their way back up the following season (as West Ham and Newcastle both did).  Some teams (e.g. Leeds United) just go into freefall after being relegated...I think they went all the way down to League 1.

They did (2007); back in the Championship now.

Last season Bradford City (a Premiership club briefly from 1999-2001) just missed becoming the first former Premiership club to go out of the Football League altogether, and Coventry City (in the first flight continuously from 1967-2001) are faced with a winding-up order from the revenuers, over unpaid stadium rent.

When they fall, they often fall hard.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #116: December 17, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
They did (2007); back in the Championship now.

Last season Bradford City (a Premiership club briefly from 1999-2001) just missed becoming the first former Premiership club to go out of the Football League altogether, and Coventry City (in the first flight continuously from 1967-2001) are faced with a winding-up order from the revenuers, over unpaid stadium rent.

When they fall, they often fall hard.

Can a team be so bad that they get "relegated" out of the Football League?    What happens to them after that?    Do they become a "club" team?    I'm curious about the inner workings of the British football leagues.     Can I get that info online?

• babble on
« Reply #117: December 17, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
At that point they join MLS  :mg:

But seriously, I think if a big team were to fall out of the national leagues, they would be liquidated before it actually came to playing at the county league level.  Down there is where you get teams that play in tiny little towns with a population of a few hundred and where most of the players also have day jobs.  Every so often such a team will knock out one of the big Premier League teams from the FA Cup...that actually happens more often than one would expect.

Can a team be so bad that they get "relegated" out of the Football League?    What happens to them after that?    Do they become a "club" team?    I'm curious about the inner workings of the British football leagues.     Can I get that info online?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #118: December 18, 2012, 06:12:12 AM »
Can a team be so bad that they get "relegated" out of the Football League?    What happens to them after that?  [...]

Happens, in fact, to two teams each season - bottom two in League Two (currently Bristol Rovers and Barnet) are relegated to the Conference, and two are promoted from the Conference to League Two (the Conference champion and the winner of a playoff series involving slots 2 through 5).

• babble on
« Reply #119: December 18, 2012, 02:42:09 PM »
How the hell am I supposed to get any work done today with no live footie on tv??

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #120: December 19, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »

Here is a fairly complete discussion of the structure of footie in England - it's a fairly intricate pyramid stretching from the Premier League to amateurs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

Offline mitlen

« Reply #121: December 19, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
Here is a fairly complete discussion of the structure of footie in England - it's a fairly intricate pyramid stretching from the Premier League to amateurs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

Thanks OC  ....

• babble on
« Reply #122: December 22, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »
Arsenal in 3rd place?  That snuck up on me.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #123: December 22, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
Arsenal in 3rd place?  That snuck up on me.

Wilshere has been awesome. He's going to be a superstar if he can stay healthy.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #124: December 22, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
Felt bad for Reading today.   Were they complaining on the goal that the MC player fouled or was there other action on that play that I missed?