Author Topic: P-Nats 2011  (Read 11762 times)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Re: P-Nats 2011
« Reply #125: July 21, 2011, 12:14:56 PM »
I'm with Rizzo on this one.  I actually think he comes out as the good guy.

The field is harmful to all players out there.  No matter how hard the groundscrew is working on improving it, it's still a piece.  There is no way, shape or form a professional baseball team should be playing there.  They've had years to upgrade and they never did.

And Rizzo's comments last week weren't that harsh, if you ask me.  These guys are just looking to get press and cover their ass. 

Just move on from the Pfitz and Potomac if they are going to be like that.  Find another spot somewhere in the NOVA area or play out there until we get a new spring training facility and play there. 

Two problems with the Spring Training facility. It would be the farthest south team in the Carolina league by far and it would interfer with the Gulf Coast League games.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #126: July 21, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »
I'm with Rizzo on this one.  I actually think he comes out as the good guy.

Rizzo bootlicker.  Rizzo should be fired for this.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #127: July 21, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »
Two problems with the Spring Training facility. It would be the farthest south team in the Carolina league by far and it would interfer with the Gulf Coast League games.

not play in carolina league, play in the florida state league. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #128: July 21, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
Rizzo bootlicker.  Rizzo should be fired for this.

S37 is that you 8)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #129: July 21, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
Stewart, IMHO, is an idiot.  Maybe he'll try and have Rizzo deported?

The Nats could probably take action against the P-Nats to break their affiliation based on the field / clubhouse issues (the visitors clubhouse is still not up to MLB standards), which would leave Silber and Stewart left with nothing - just as a new independent league team starts playing in a brand new stadium in Loudoun.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #130: July 21, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »
The Nats could probably take action against the P-Nats to break their affiliation based on the field / clubhouse issues (the visitors clubhouse is still not up to MLB standards), which would leave Silber and Stewart left with nothing - just as a new independent league team starts playing in a brand new stadium in Loudoun.
               Okay, I'll bite. Could the Nationals latch onto the independent league team in Loudon as an affiliate? I don't know how that whole things works. Is it a possibility?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #131: July 21, 2011, 01:18:10 PM »
               Okay, I'll bite. Could the Nationals latch onto the independent league team in Loudon as an affiliate? I don't know how that whole things works. Is it a possibility?
Not easily. As others have pointed out, the Nats have a development agreement with Potomac. Now, I'm no lawyer, but contracts and agreements can be broken. And maybe the Nats have a case that the facilities don't meet their standards. The fact that the Carolina League "condemneded" the outfield for a few weeks and made the team play on the road supports the Nats' arguments.

However, independent ball is just that, independent. Not affiliated with Major League Baseball.

The Carolina League awarded a franchise to Potomac. That affiliation remains in place until... it doesn't. If the Nats got out of their contract with Potomac, they'd need to find an open affiliation in the Carolina/California/Florida State/Midwest Leagues. That little dance happens every September/October; there's expiring affiliations every year. However, most teams stay with their partners. The Red Sox got so tired of not being to get a High -A eastrn US affiliate, they bought the Salem team. And affiliated them self the next time the agreement was available.

Offline imref

« Reply #132: July 21, 2011, 01:20:11 PM »
if i'm the owner of the Loudoun team, and there's an opportunity to become the Nats high-A affiliate, I jump at the opportunity.

I'm not sure how the league relationships work though - does Potomac "own" the slot in the Carolina league or could the Nats go to another club and slot them in?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #133: July 21, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »
http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-nationals/2011/7/21/2286639/potomac-nationals-field-situation-causes-war-of-words

This should go here. Calling for Rizzo's job is a little classless. Maybe they should fix the field instead. Kind of think the Lerners should buy a high A franchise for Fredericksburg or Alexandria and do to Potomac what the Braves almost did to Richmond.
Pretty unprofessional comments from the County Supervisor. Especially when the Carolina League shut down the field back in April.

One of the problems there - is they let others use the field, unsupervised. I played on the field in NABA (or was it MSBL) maybe 10 years ago. Our opponent was taking BP. The BP pitcher was standing in the grass about 5 feet in front of Home plate, the batter was in the dirt against the stands behind home plate. Their Guys were warming up on the infield grass. It was ugly. We had to set them straight.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #134: July 21, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »
if i'm the owner of the Loudoun team, and there's an opportunity to become the Nats high-A affiliate, I jump at the opportunity.

I'm not sure how the league relationships work though - does Potomac "own" the slot in the Carolina league or could the Nats go to another club and slot them in?
Potomac Owns the affiliation with the Carolina League. The Loudon guys would have to buy the affiliation from Silber and the Potomac Nats.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #135: July 21, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
This might provide a temporary answer.

http://www.wcti12.com/news/26158372/detail.html

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #136: July 21, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
This might provide a temporary answer.

http://www.wcti12.com/news/26158372/detail.html
That's part of a previously arranged deal. The Zebulon AA franchise was purchased and moved to Pensacola for 2012. Then the previous owners of the Zebulon franchise bought the Kinston franchise in the Carolina League and are now officially moving it to Zebulon. This leaves Kinston without a team for 2012. The P-Nats franchise could be moved there by the League if the field/relationship doesn't improve. Or, the Kinston people would have to buy the Potomac franchise with approval of the Carolina League.

But that's a 2010 story. Nothing new there. (to me.)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #137: July 21, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »
             Nyanburg = What the Hell does this mean?  I've been asking this question all morning....could someone please tell me what this new buzz word is and/or means?
It's from nyan cat, an internet meme started from this youtube video:

There's also a 3.5 hour long version.

Supposedly "nyan" is how the Japanese spell the sound a cat makes, like we would say "meow"

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #138: July 21, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »
catsNy!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #139: July 21, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
It's from nyan cat, an internet meme started from this youtube video:

There's also a 3.5 hour long version.

Supposedly "nyan" is how the Japanese spell the sound a cat makes, like we would say "meow"
You can also buy the t-shirt!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #140: July 22, 2011, 02:57:23 PM »
It's "Loudoun", not "Loudon".

:roll:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #141: July 22, 2011, 05:25:36 PM »
The stadium has to meet A league number f seats requirements .

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #142: July 22, 2011, 05:49:07 PM »
Could they temporarily move them to RFK at some point?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #143: July 23, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
Could they temporarily move them to RFK at some point?
it would have to be OK'd by the Carolina League. I'd have to think that the RFK rent would be too expensive for a vagabond A Ball team.

Offline imref

« Reply #144: August 18, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
so...whatever happened to that new stadium that would set a record for naming rights?

Offline RD

« Reply #145: August 18, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »
They need to get their crap together, because next year's pitching staff could consist of AJ Cole, Robbie Ray, Matt Purke, and Alex Meyer, and two kids in the OF in Michael Taylor and Kevin Keyes who have legitimate futures. Hate to see someone get hurt out there because the field isn't up to standards.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #146: August 18, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
They need to get their crap together, because next year's pitching staff could consist of AJ Cole, Robbie Ray, Matt Purke, and Alex Meyer, and two kids in the OF in Michael Taylor and Kevin Keyes who have legitimate futures. Hate to see someone get hurt out there because the field isn't up to standards.

I wonder if they would just skip some guys to AA and hold others back to avoid exposing them to that field

Offline RD

« Reply #147: August 18, 2011, 02:08:32 PM »
I wonder if they would just skip some guys to AA and hold others back to avoid exposing them to that field

I think its easy to do in a case like Harper, but not so much with the guys listed above.

Cole and Ray, absolutely not. High school kids fresh off year 1 of development on an innings limit. Neither are ready for AA.

Keyes is a college kid and he's come on strong in the second half this year but still got work to do. What if he struggles in AA? Can't send him all the way back down to low A. He's a guy who could reach AA next year, but most likely after a start in high A.

Taylor is another HS kid that is coming along nicely this year, but still needs work before hitting AA.

Purke and Meyer would be the most likely potential guys to get experience at Hagerstown, then skip Potomac but even still, I think for their first season, they need to get experience and accumulate innings before getting that aggressive with their promotions.

The fact that we're even discussing this is pretty bad. But realistically, I dont think we can have the idea of skipping better talents a level. It could have long term repercussions.

Offline imref

« Reply #148: August 18, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »

it's not an issue of someone getting hurt - they have a crappy OF drainage system so they have to cancel games after big rains, even a day or more later.  It's not as if there are big divots in the ground.

Offline imref

« Reply #149: August 21, 2011, 12:22:16 AM »
well, while the Nats stunk up the joint in D.C. the P-Nats swept Winston-Salem to pick up a half game on Frederick.  Eury Perez made a couple of highlight reel plays in CF, including climbing the wall to grab a deep ball, and running down another that most wouldn't have gotten to.  Destin Hood went 2-4 with a SB, RBI and 2 runs in the first, and hit a HR and stole a base in the 2nd game (1-2, 2R, and an RBI in the night-cap).

Hood is something special.