Author Topic: Marlins trade franchise to Blue Jays  (Read 23922 times)

Online blue911

Re: Marlins trade franchise to Blue Jays
« Reply #350: April 04, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
Hey, E5 could be Joey Bats clone, Morrow if healthy is a stud, Josh Johnson only has to play the JZ role instead of being the man, Buerhle still is chugging along . . .  A lot can go right.  It is just they are a higher Beta team than people are saying.

Besides they're Canadian it's only right to mock them.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #351: April 04, 2013, 09:27:38 PM »
They have shown so far that they can't pitch.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #352: April 04, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »
They have shown so far that they can't pitch.

Three games seems a bit premature to make any judgement on a team.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #353: April 04, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Three games seems a bit premature to make any judgement on a team.

Not making any judgments, just saying that the team is giving up runs right now.  Heck, up until Jordan gave up one HR to Ruggiano, the Nats looked to shut out opponents 162-0.  Obviously that won't happen and it didn't.  Still the Jays will be looking to make adjustments in the next series.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #354: April 06, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
Phil Wood and Mike Wallace are talking this morning about how Stanton is basically already mailing it in for the season.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #355: April 06, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
Blue Jays have been my fantasy farm team in the past couple years. Joey Bats and E5 I picked up as Free Agents (E 5 might have been my last draft pick actually) in their breakout years.

I'm going to suck this year because I'm out of sleeper Blue Jays.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #356: April 06, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
Phil Wood and Mike Wallace are talking this morning about how Stanton is basically already mailing it in for the season.
This FanGraphs post has some GIF footage of Stanton mailing it in (with snarky commentary)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #357: April 08, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
I feel bad for Mike Redmond. Guy seems to be a really good baseball man but that is a horrible situation.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #358: April 08, 2013, 10:21:18 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/crowd-miami-marlins-home-opener-002358718--mlb.html

Looks like the new stadium attendance bump is in full force in Miami

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #359: April 08, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #360: April 11, 2013, 07:48:56 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/group/9

...and here they are...in the long-expected sole possession of last place overall in MLB...your 2013 Miami Marlins!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #362: April 14, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
Stanton batting .083 over his last 7 games.

Perhaps more importantly than their fans, the Marlins screwed millions of fantasy players.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #363: April 14, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »
He's been out the last few games with injury too. 0 HRs on the year. He was one of my two keepers in my keeper league. Killing me

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #365: April 15, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
Stanton is terrible. The Marlins should dump him (to the Nats) for whatever they can get (Tyler Moore).

;)

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #366: April 15, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »
blue plate special!  And now the 7th inning sit, brought to you by Depends®!

From the linked story: 'On Thursdays anyone over the age of 55 can attend a Marlins game for free, and in the “best available” section'

...and what section wouldn't be available? (On top of that, I'd qualify since I'm 60.)

---

Oddly, there are actually three other clubs that are selling to less than the Marlins' 54.2% of capacity (White Sox, Mariners and Indians - full list: http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct).

Offline argh

« Reply #367: April 15, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
Should see attendance spikes every day Jose Fernandez pitches. And nobody at the park any other day.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #368: April 15, 2013, 04:47:06 PM »
From the linked story: 'On Thursdays anyone over the age of 55 can attend a Marlins game for free, and in the “best available” section'

...and what section wouldn't be available? (On top of that, I'd qualify since I'm 60.)

---

Oddly, there are actually three other clubs that are selling to less than the Marlins' 54.2% of capacity (White Sox, Mariners and Indians - full list: http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct).

My parents are going to see a game there when the cubs are in town. They are hitting up the friday game. I was messing with him saying that if he got in to town one day earlier, he could have made it to two games for the price of one.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #369: April 15, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »
Look at these specials:

Mondays:
-$22 seats, including all-you-can-eat concessions
-Free tickets for active duty and retired law enforcement personnel, first responders, military, etc.

Tuesdays:
-Half-price Tuesdays

Wednesdays:
-Kids eat free
-Buy 8 gallons of gas from Chevron and get $8 home run porch or $18 home plate (!) tickets

Thursdays:
-Free tickets for the 55+ crowd
-Discount vouchers from Subway

Fridays
-4 box seats, 4 pizzas, and 4 sodas for $60

Saturdays
-$27 seats including all-you-can-eat concessions

:lmao:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #370: April 15, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
Those are amazing deals.  :shock:  Too bad the onfield product for Marlins fans sucks balls. But if you're a fan of the opposing team you can show up to watch your team pound the fish for great prices and great seats.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #371: April 15, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »
-4 box seats, 4 pizzas, and 4 sodas for $60
WUT.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #372: April 15, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »
It's pretty sad when the locals prefer a free $5 Hot N Ready Pizza from Little Caesars (where the box tastes better than the pizza) over free Marlins tickets:

Miami Fans Would Rather Have $5 Little Caesars Pizza Than Marlins Tickets (Video)

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/04/miami-fans-would-rather-have-5-little-caesars-pizza-than-marlins-tickets-video/

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #373: April 15, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »
When made properly Little Caesars can make a good pizza.  When they've been sitting there for hour(s) they are terrible. 

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #374: April 16, 2013, 07:59:25 AM »
It's pretty sad when the locals prefer a free $5 Hot N Ready Pizza from Little Caesars (where the box tastes better than the pizza) over free Marlins tickets:

Miami Fans Would Rather Have $5 Little Caesars Pizza Than Marlins Tickets (Video)

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/04/miami-fans-would-rather-have-5-little-caesars-pizza-than-marlins-tickets-video/

That is dire. The Marlins have passed beyond the phase of passive avoidance (people not turning up for the club's matches simply because the team keeps losing) to active avoidance (people not turning up for the matches because the organisation has openly antagonised them, and many people won't go now, no matter what).

It's happened elsewhere - see the NBA's former Charlotte Hornets. They debuted in 1988 and were enthusiastically welcomed at first (one Knicks player said the old Coliseum was the loudest building he'd ever played in)...but then owner George Shinn got into one scrape after another with drink-driving arrests, sexual-harassment cases by two employees, and more...and then came the piece de resistance when, a little over a decade after the club's formation and the nice Charlotte Coliseum, he went before the county board whimpering about not having enough skyboxes and such and could the nice county board give him a new arena with the skyboxes he needs so he doesn't have to move the team out of town (meanwhile attendance was tanking, largely due to Shinn's shenanigans)...the county board told him to get stuffed and so in 2003 he loaded up the moving vans and headed to New Orleans. (The subsequent replacement team, the Bobcats, remain an NBA franchise in theory only with abysmal turn-outs.)

If North Carolinians can be un-sold on basketball, certainly Floridians can be un-sold on MLB.