Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 73219 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF
« Reply #500: February 01, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »
yeah you're right ... he's 22 and hasn't shown any kind of flashes of possibly being a good prospect.

we should totally write him or any other prospect his age off right now.

Star at 19 or GTFO

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #501: February 01, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
watch him play in person.

I did once or twice when he was in Potomac. 

I'm open to the possibility of him developing into someone decent, but until he does I see no reason to think of him highly.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #502: February 02, 2013, 08:44:47 AM »
he's 22 now, so that would put him on a path to make the majors by 27. 

Eh, he's a late bloomer. This is what happens when you take guys who are more raw talent than skill. It's worth re-visiting after this season, if he can show improvement in Double A. It's not like we can't get rid of Werth sooner.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #503: February 02, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
I did once or twice when he was in Potomac. 

I'm open to the possibility of him developing into someone decent, but until he does I see no reason to think of him highly.

good thing you're not the GM.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #504: February 02, 2013, 12:43:34 PM »
I'll preface by saying I've never seen him play aside from a few highlights.

But I see nothing in his stats that would indicate he should be penciled in for a starting role.  Not that good last year.  Hit OK in A ball for one year. 

Maybe he looks the part, but does he look the part more than someone like Bernadina?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #505: February 02, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
I'll preface by saying I've never seen him play aside from a few highlights.

But I see nothing in his stats that would indicate he should be penciled in for a starting role.  Not that good last year.  Hit OK in A ball for one year. 

Maybe he looks the part, but does he look the part more than someone like Bernadina?

Most of the Hood defenders (and baseball scouts) would argue "scouting the stat line" isn't a good idea here.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #506: February 02, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »
Hood is probably running out of chances.  We got a break when he was not taken in the Rule 5 draft.  I imagine if he shows anything at upper minors this year, he'll be added to the 40 man roster at the end of the year and will spend the next 3 seasons  as depth shuttling between Syracuse and Washington.  He could also become the 4th outfielder for a while if Bernie gets expensive.  That said, if he shows nothing in the minors, then he can be organizational depth until he is a MiLFA.

Get your mind out of the gutter.  Minor League Free Agent.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #507: February 02, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »
I like Hood but planning on him being a MLB starter for this team in 2-3 years seems like a stretch to me. JCA nails it: he either becomes a 4th OF at best with us in the next 3 years, or he sits around in AA/AAA for a few years before eventually moving on.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #508: February 02, 2013, 08:44:14 PM »
I'm not saying he can't blossom, but given Werth and Harper, Goodwin's projection, and Span's ridiculously cheap contract for the next 2 years and the affordable option, there really isn't a place for Hood to start here until 2016 /2017 even if he meets his high end projection. 

I could see Bernie beginning to get expensive when you have a pre-arb 4th outfielder with pop, so I could see Hood maybe taking that role when he is 25 or 26, or I could see perhaps Bernie and Hood being the backups to Harper, Werth, and the 2015 CF (Span?  Goodwin?).  It is unreasonable to project him as displacing a corner outfielder for until maybe the tail end of Werth's contract (2017).

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #509: February 02, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
I'm not saying he can't blossom, but given Werth and Harper, Goodwin's projection, and Span's ridiculously cheap contract for the next 2 years and the affordable option, there really isn't a place for Hood to start here until 2016 /2017 even if he meets his high end projection. 

I could see Bernie beginning to get expensive when you have a pre-arb 4th outfielder with pop, so I could see Hood maybe taking that role when he is 25 or 26, or I could see perhaps Bernie and Hood being the backups to Harper, Werth, and the 2015 CF (Span?  Goodwin?).  It is unreasonable to project him as displacing a corner outfielder for until maybe the tail end of Werth's contract (2017).

Exactly. He can play well in AA/AAA over the next 2 years, but all of our regular OF spots are taken for the next couple years and two, like you said, are taken until 2017. If he plays well, he can replace/add to Bernadina as a 4th OF with spot start duty when there are injuries.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #510: February 02, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »
good thing you're not the GM.

Where would he play?  where would he hit in the lineup?  He just does not fit at all into our future plans even if he pans out to be something decent.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
« Reply #511: February 02, 2013, 11:41:07 PM »
Where would he play?  where would he hit in the lineup?  He just does not fit at all into our future plans even if he pans out to be something decent.
Why does any of that matter? If he develops and you have no place for him you trade him for something you do need.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #512: February 03, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »

Aside from trading Hood, a team can never have too many players. There will be injuries. Somebody will slump, somebody else will just lose it. Think of the Nats OF a couple years ago: Werth + Nix/Gomes, or Hairston, or Cora, sometimes Bernadina. Before that Nyjer Morgan and Elijah Dukes. Nook Logan? Austin Crash?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #513: February 03, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »
Aside from trading Hood, a team can never have too many players. There will be injuries. Somebody will slump, somebody else will just lose it. Think of the Nats OF a couple years ago: Werth + Nix/Gomes, or Hairston, or Cora, sometimes Bernadina. Before that Nyjer Morgan and Elijah Dukes. Nook Logan? Austin Crash?

This,  quality depth information the high minors is exceedingly valuable

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #514: February 04, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »
This,  quality depth information the high minors is exceedingly valuable

I get that but it just seems like Hood gets way to much attention by people on this board.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #515: February 04, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »
I get that but it just seems like Hood gets way to much attention by people on this board.

he's a good prospect that's why.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #516: February 04, 2013, 12:27:34 PM »
he's a good prospect that's why.

He's like a C prospect at best right now.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #517: February 04, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »
yeah write him off!

giolito hasn't pitched above GCL for the nats system ... we should write him off!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #518: February 04, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »
Go to Harrisburg and watch the kids play. That's an advantage of living near DC...not such a long drive, and the Harrisburg stadium is a nice place to watch baseball. When Hood hits the ball, it looks bruised. When he plays the OF, he hustles. The kid is a definite "maybe".

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #519: February 05, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
Nobody is writing him off but I don't think it makes sense to include him in future starting lineups, either.  He's just a maybe at this point.  Let's see him hit well in AA and then go from there.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #520: February 05, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »
The term "prospect" for me indicates either a very high probability of being a 3 WAR contributor (think Espinosa as he proved the ability to maintain hitting ability in AA and AAA) or having a very high ceiling, like someone who could possibly be a 4-5 WAR player in the majors even if he's not producing great numbers in the minors (think Aaron Hicks in 2009-2011).

But Hood is a non-producing corner outfielder whose major league ceiling is probably .350/.475 and is nowhere close to reaching that ceiling. Non-prospect for me. Doesn't mean he can't develop and contribute eventually, given his youth and decent (but not great) tools.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #521: February 05, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »
The term "prospect" for me indicates either a very high probability of being a 3 WAR contributor (think Espinosa as he proved the ability to maintain hitting ability in AA and AAA) or having a very high ceiling, like someone who could possibly be a 4-5 WAR player in the majors even if he's not producing great numbers in the minors (think Aaron Hicks in 2009-2011).

But Hood is a non-producing corner outfielder whose major league ceiling is probably .350/.475 and is nowhere close to reaching that ceiling. Non-prospect for me. Doesn't mean he can't develop and contribute eventually, given his youth and decent (but not great) tools.

Those are some pretty stringent requirements to be considered a prospect then considering the vast majority of the players who actually stick in the show are only average (duh) which is around 2 WAR.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
« Reply #522: February 05, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

I'm not his biggest fan, but he produced well in the two years before this one when he dealt with injury. He's got all the physical tools in the world, he's shown the beginnings of using his body to hit for power and he's developed a propensity for getting on base. That's a good prospect. You're referring to a Brian Goodwin/Anthony Rendon/Matt Skole level prospect right now.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #523: February 05, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »
Hood is still a decent looking prospect, from my view at least.  He had good seasons as a 20 year old in the Sally League and a 21 year old in the Carolina League, when he was named a league all-star for both seasons.  Lots of players struggle with the jump from A ball to AA, so some growing pains are to be expected.  Add in the injuries he experienced this last year and you have a prime candidate for a breakout this up coming year.  It isn't surprising that the team didn't add him to the 40 man, given his struggles and fresh injuries.  I don't think another team would have had interest in adding him to their roster and keeping at the MLB level for an entire season.  Given all this, Hood is still relatively young for the league he is competing in and has shown glimpses in to the potential that he has.  His main issue is his approach at the plate and he just needs to develop a little more patience.  The home runs are going to come and with better pitch selection he should be able to hit for an average around .280-.290.  He already is a smart baserunner who could probably steal more bases if he wanted to and his defense has been very good especially his throwing ability.  Look out for him in 2013.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #524: February 05, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »
Hood is a project
Rendon is a prospect