Author Topic: Texas looks like the Nationals today...  (Read 2798 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Texas looks like the Nationals today...
« Reply #25: May 05, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »
...I believe when the Senators left for Minnesota the history of the Washington Senators remained in Washington because Washington got a new team immediately. Therefore, Minnesota has no claim on it. It all left Washington when they relocated to Texas. Honestly, I don't think anyone here cares about Guerrero's franchise record. But Frank Howard's numbers are revered by the Washington faithful, even if they technically belong to Texas.

Not true; the franchise takes the records with them.  All of the Washington Senators records prior to 1962 went to Minnesota, and the 1962 expansion franchise took its records to Texas later.  The lifetime hitting records of Harmon Killebrew are all in Minnesota, even though part of them were made in Washington.  If you look at Baseball Almanac, that's how all of the records are sorted, for all teams that have moved.  The Expos records all belong to the Nationals.  Look here: 

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teammenu.shtml

I do agree with the notion that players and records mean more to the home city where they were played than to the carpetbagger owners who found some suckers to pay them more.  If the game was guaranteed to be televised in Montreal, I wouldn't mind them wearing the Expos uniforms for a game, to say "thanks" to their fans for keeping the franchise alive.  I'd also get a kick out of playing the Rangers or Twins with Nationals playing against Senators-uniformed players (as long as we kicked their butts and ran up the score... and hung a SHORT STINKS banner in the outfield.

I believe that the NFL may have departed from this tradition, leaving the Cleveland Browns' records in Cleveland.  I think the owner might have put up a ring of fame with names from Cleveland in the Ravens' Stadium.  Somebody can confirm or deny all this, but I remember the controversy of moving that team, when it was still selling out its games.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #26: May 05, 2008, 04:08:28 PM »
I think Football does it differently because when they moved the Colts in the middle of the night to Indianappolis, they tried to take the Colts history from Baltimore (including all of Johnny U records).  I think Baltimore fought them in court on it and won.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  And yeah what Baltimore did to Cleveland was no better than what Indianappolis did to Baltimore.

I went to College 30 miles east of Cleveland.  Used to watch the Cardiac Kids on TV in a packed stadium with a windchill of -30!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #27: May 05, 2008, 04:56:48 PM »
[rant]Screw the Rangers. It's disgraceful that Bud Selig would let them wear our uniforms. The Lerners should buy the rights back from the Rangers whatever the cost, as a service to the city. Way to rub it in our faces that we had no team for a generation. Dallas is a crap city that is ugly and boring. [/rant]

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #28: May 05, 2008, 05:29:57 PM »
If nothing else, it would be cool if they changed the Nationals jerseys so that "Nationals" is written in script like on the old Senators jerseys. 

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #29: May 05, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »
We play the Rangers in intra league play in June.  That would be cool if we could play them for the right to take back the Senators name & history.  They could call it "The Game for the Name".  Of course, I don't know what we would offer them if we lost; maybe we could give them the Expos name & history.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: May 05, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
We play the Rangers in intra league play in June.  That would be cool if we could play them for the right to take back the Senators name & history.  They could call it "The Game for the Name".  Of course, I don't know what we would offer them if we lost; maybe we could give them the Expos name & history.

Maybe a couple of empty whisky bottles and a autographed jersey of Denny McLain's?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #31: May 05, 2008, 05:45:24 PM »
I don’t care that they wore “our” uniforms but we should have taken the opportunity to annex their better players.  ;)