Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 89926 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
If you have to remake your team with 2-4 players before the trade deadline are you really a contender?   I say not.   Chemistry has something to be said for too.  The Nats have been extremely resilient through a large amount of injuries to key players.  I for one wasn't really feeling the need to do too much at the deadline.  When the playoffs hit, you usually only use three starting pitchers anyway.  We'll be fine.  Lannan can get in three to four starts in the last part of Sept to get us through.  Then he goes relief anyway.

I am basically pleased with the production from all the back up cathers.  Middle infield is my biggest concern.  But who is to say we can't fill that hole on the Aug waiver wire?

I like the team they way they are.  THey were built for 2013 and 2014.  And thanks to a patient GM today, they still are built for 2013 and 2014.  This year is a bonus.  There is no reason they can't win the division they way they are, even without Strasburg.    Once in the playoffs, all bets are off.  Go Nats!

No one wanted to trade the future away. So regardless of what deals were made today, we always would have been built for 2013 and 14. Of course, we also could have increased our chances in 2012... but passed on that.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
And I'm not sure why you're laughing at the thought that Jayson Werth was on track to have a big comeback year. I guess you missed the first month or so, where he was looking like his 2010 self. It's not a ludicrous thought.

You can laugh all you want, but I'll continue to laugh at you for freaking out, while I enjoy watching the 2012 Washington Nationals win the National League East.

Well, you apparently attribute value to HR's so when in Werth's career has he ever consistently hit homers at the rate of Adam Dunn?  Other than his contract year?

Am I missing something here?   http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/werthja01.shtml

Offline houston-nat

Having arguably the worst offensive starting catcher in all of baseball

Just for fun, catchers with 50+ PA who have a lower wRC+ than Jesus Flores:
Ronny Paulino, Tyler Flowers, Kurt Suzuki, Miguel Olivo, Ramon Hernandez, Nick Hundley
(some of them backups)

Brett Hayes, Marlins backup C, is the worst offensive catcher in baseball, with a putrid .200/.222/.248 and 45 Ks in 36 games.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
You're just further proving our point. The point is the playoffs are truly a crap-shoot. It's all about who gets hot at the right time. The 2010 Giants won it without any semblance of offense.

Seriously with the team we have, we have a shot. It's all about to meshing, and playing great baseball at the right time. Ask the 2005 83 win St. Louis Cardinals. It's baseball it's a funny game, and anyone can beat anyone.

I love the side that wants no change/not giving up prospects.

They automatically assume anyone that doesn't share their viewpoint doesn't like the Nats and also wouldn't enjoy watching them win.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Just for fun, catchers with 50+ PA who have a lower wRC+ than Jesus Flores:
Ronny Paulino, Tyler Flowers, Kurt Suzuki, Miguel Olivo, Ramon Hernandez, Nick Hundley
(some of them backups)

Brett Hayes, Marlins backup C, is the worst offensive catcher in baseball, with a putrid .200/.222/.248 and 45 Ks in 36 games.

Check the catchers with at least 230 PA's. See how many are worse than Flores. Two.

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Well, you apparently attribute value to HR's so when in Werth's career has he ever consistently hit homers at the rate of Adam Dunn?  Other than his contract year?

LMAO, I was saying that LaRoche is valuable as a 1B and a run producing corner infielder.

In regards to the Werth-Dunn comparison, I was simply saying that Werth was on track to returning to his career norms much as Adam Dunn has done this year. I wasn't saying that Werth would lead the league in HR's like Dunn is. You totally missed the point on that one.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
I love the side that wants no change/not giving up prospects.

They automatically assume anyone that doesn't share their viewpoint doesn't like the Nats and also wouldn't enjoy watching them win.

Never said I wanted no change. Just saying nobody out there that we could have gotten is going to be the difference between winning a world series, and not winning a world series.

Offline BigMeech

Just realized that people were saying "don't trade the future" yet Desmond, Espinosa, Zimmerman, Zimmermann, Strasburg, GIO, Harper, Ramos, Lombardozzi, Storen, Clippard, and Moore are all under 30.

Not sure where the un-tradable "future" fits in when the future is already on the field for the foreseeable future.  It's not like we're the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies here in terms of age.

Again, where do we "mortgage the future" by trading a few prospects?  We're not old.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Never said I wanted no change. Just saying nobody out there that we could have gotten is going to be the difference between winning a world series, and not winning a world series.

But you're saying that we don't equally enjoy the Nats winning ball games.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Rizzo is a shiny GM and I wholly support his Beefcake Manifesto.  I just wanted to wait for the deadline to pass before expressing my unconditional support for doing nothing.  Flores and Lannan for MVP! The future is ours for the taking. Natitude nags! :w:

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
But you're saying that we don't equally enjoy the Nats winning ball games.

Nope I'm saying that you are simply wasting time complaining in this thread. And I didn't say you don't equally enjoy watching the Nats win. I'm just saying that I'm not going to waste my time complaining about the Nats not making a marginal move at best.

Offline houston-nat

Check the catchers with at least 230 PA's. See how many are worse than Flores. Two.

I wasn't arguing with you, I said "just for fun."

Offline hammondsnats

we go from having strasburg - jackson - detwiler as 3-4-5 ... to jackson-detwiler-lannan in month of september.  that's a huge drop off. 

plus the catcher just has a .588 OPS. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
we go from having strasburg - jackson - detwiler as 3-4-5 ... to jackson-detwiler-lannan in month of september.  that's a huge drop off. 

Bet on the table.

Offline BigMeech

We couldn't afford to "TRADE THE FUTURE" even though the future is already on the field and the prospects will probably never see the field in a Nationals' uniform for any significant period of time barring an unforeseen circumstance.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Bet on the table.

Why would any Nats fan bet that the Nats won't make the playoffs?

This is the most absurd bet that I think you could have possibly come up with.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

Because he won't deal with anything but an avatar of Roger Bernadina. Not a lot to lose.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Because he won't deal with anything but an avatar of Roger Bernadina. Not a lot to lose.

You don't seem to be grasping the concept that we're all Nats fans. We don't want to see the Nats lose.

What incentive would hammonds have for rooting against the Nats?

Offline natstime

:roll:  Rizzo's way of saying

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR

:hammer: :razz: :hammer: :razz: :hammer: :razz: :hammer: :razz: :wtf:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
What incentive would hammonds have for rooting against the Nats?

He's an O's fan?  :stir:

:lol:

Offline hammondsnats

i dunno.  smithian is loony.

Offline hammondsnats

i haven't talked smack about bernadina in a while.  he's been very good recently.  i hope he keeps up this play when he goes back to the bench. 

Offline daggerrrrrr

Gaby Sanchez = winning the trade deadline? :lmao: .556 OPS in the Majors this year and he plays 1B

Exactly. Mofo's be tripping up in here.lol

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
In a way it's demeaning... as if Smithian thinks he's a better fan because he doesn't question the FO.

We're all equal here. We all want the Nats to go 162-0. No one is better than anyone else.

Offline hammondsnats

In a way it's demeaning... as if Smithian thinks he's a better fan because he doesn't question the FO.

We're all equal here. We all want the Nats to go 162-0. No one is better than anyone else.

he may be worse than your boy BiL.  at least SBF came out and found a problem with the nats, albeit it's not shocking since he's cut from the cloth of the t-shirts/racing presidents/our farm is better than everyone else crowd.