Author Topic: the mega Evil Empire (NYY) thread  (Read 3787 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: the mega Evil Empire (NYY) thread
« Reply #51: April 26, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
Does that article need some editing?  does he have payor and payee mixed up? Washington, Toronto, and Atlanta I think are kicking back less of their ill-gotten gains,

The flaw in the system is that some teams in the top half of market size are not in the top half of revenue, meaning big-market teams are getting revenue-sharing dollars like small markets. In recent years, these teams have included Washington, Atlanta and Toronto. Starting this season, such teams were mandated to give a portion of that money back to the bigger-market teams – 25 percent in 2013, 50 percent in 2014, 75 percent in 2015 and 100 percent in 2016. The catch: Teams needed to be under the luxury tax threshold to qualify.

Considering the money would be distributed proportionally to contributions, the Yankees expected their rebate to be significant – upward of $45 million between 2014-16 if they kept their payroll below $189 million for those seasons, according to two sources.

One hitch: Washington's success has thrust it from so-called payee club to payor. And the Braves, despite a bad TV contract, and Blue Jays, with an old stadium, aren't far behind. The Miami Marlins, expected to be payors, have quickly reverted to payee status. Barring a change in the game's economics over the next few years, the big rebate money, sources said, simply won't exist, and the impetus for the Yankees won't be nearly as strong.

Also,
Because of their failure to develop a farm system with impact players near the major leagues, the Yankees face difficult choices: re-enter a free-agent market that not only left them with aging and injured players but is expected to grow even larger based on the wave of local television revenue, or work on the margins, a place general manager Brian Cashman has proven himself particularly adept.

If Cashman is adept at "work[ing] on the margins," then why isn't that a viable option?  does he really mean Cashman is not adept at working on the margins?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #52: April 26, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
bad writing, but the point is valid- can a team like the yankees really 'afford' to rebuild?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #53: April 26, 2013, 03:01:55 PM »
bad writing, but the point is valid- can a team like the yankees really 'afford' to rebuild?

Twenty years ago, yes, the old Von Steingrabber Yankees could afford to rebuild. George refused, of course, so each season the team had ("Good Old") Don Mattingly plus 24 guys who were about 32 or 33, and who had been named to an all-star team five years earier. Remember Mel Hall? If you do, it's probably because Hall ridiculed a rookie OF as too soft, just a music-loving "bambi". Otherwise known as Bernie Williams.

Since 1996, though, the Yankees are expected to make the playoffs each season. It's a tough town: I don't know what New Yorkers would do if the 2013 Yankees collapse. Fanatic? Yes. Patient? No.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: April 26, 2013, 10:02:02 PM »
Shouldn't that be in the gio roads thread?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #56: April 26, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
Shouldn't that be in the gio roads thread?
  No because if you read it, it doesn't involve Gio.  It involves AROID!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #57: April 26, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »

Is this a joke?  If anyone can, they can.  It's not like the Yankee brand is going to fizzle if they have a down year or two.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #58: April 26, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Is this a joke?  If anyone can, they can.  It's not like the Yankee brand is going to fizzle if they have a down year or two.

There have already been reports that they're having trouble selling season tickets and they have constant carriage fights with cable providers,  so I'd say if any team can't afford to slip it's them

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #59: April 26, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
As Stewie says: 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #60: April 27, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
The last sustained stretch of non-pennants, which was from the early 80s to the mid 90s, they slipped behind the Mets in popularity for a while.  If you want to say 2001- 2008 was no WS win, they still were popular because of their star line up, two world series, and a hyped up rivalry.  Winning is part of the formula for their following, and when they do not win, then they substitute a "galactico" line up.

Offline welch

« Reply #61: April 30, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »

Joke? Young Mr Steinbrenner is not laughing.

I have lived in NYC since September, 1969. When the Yankees were bad and the Mets above average, people became Mets fans. And reversed again. Until 1974 or '75, I saw only Met fans. Then the Yankees got good, and even better: won the pennant in '76, won the WS in '77 and '78. The Mets collapsed during that time. In '84, people swung back to the Mets, and stayed with the Mets until about '90 or '91, when people lost interest. The Yankees base you see now happened from '96 onward...and they have made the playoffs almost every season.

The Yankees have not been deplorable since they had Roberto Kelly as their one can't-miss star.

Let it happen again? Then Cashman and Girardi will be gone.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #62: May 02, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
Yankees have been winning despite the injury and age issues.  So hold off, I guess, on celebrating their demise.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #63: May 02, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #64: May 02, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
The Yankees sign Travis Hafner and get huge production; the Nationals extend Chad Tracy and get diddly squat.

It didn't have to be like this.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #65: May 02, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
Joke? Young Mr Steinbrenner is not laughing.

I have lived in NYC since September, 1969. When the Yankees were bad and the Mets above average, people became Mets fans. And reversed again. Until 1974 or '75, I saw only Met fans. Then the Yankees got good, and even better: won the pennant in '76, won the WS in '77 and '78. The Mets collapsed during that time. In '84, people swung back to the Mets, and stayed with the Mets until about '90 or '91, when people lost interest. The Yankees base you see now happened from '96 onward...and they have made the playoffs almost every season.

The Yankees have not been deplorable since they had Roberto Kelly as their one can't-miss star.

Let it happen again? Then Cashman and Girardi will be gone.

Sure Cashman and Girardi will be gone, but with the YES Network and Yankee hats being the most popular baseball caps in the world, the whole Yankee brand is in no danger of collapsing anytime soon, no matter their level of current suckitude.

Offline welch

« Reply #66: May 03, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
Sure Cashman and Girardi will be gone, but with the YES Network and Yankee hats being the most popular baseball caps in the world, the whole Yankee brand is in no danger of collapsing anytime soon, no matter their level of current suckitude.

In 1990, "everyone" (around New York) said that Steinbrenner was happy with his mega-deal from MSG...assured of profits no matter how bad the team played. We used to take our Little League teams to Yankee Stadium because the Yankees gave away the tickets. In the late '80s, my division of GE had box seats down near the 3B coach, but nobody used the tickets. The sales crew could not find customers who wanted to see a Yankee game, except for visiting foreigners who didn't know any better.

This is not a patient fan base. If the Yankees decline this year and collapse in 2014 while the Muts build with young players, the fans would switch in a blink. I've seen that switch four or five times since I moved here in 1969.

Another consideration: yes, the Yankees have to compete with the Muts, but both teams also compete for attention against the Rangers/Devils/(Islanders...well, there was a time); the Giants and Jets; and the Knicks plus that other NBA team now in Brooklyn.

Offline welch

« Reply #67: May 14, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
I think the Yankees are in first place in the AL East, but Cano and Gardner are the only regulars I recognize.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #68: May 14, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
In 1990, "everyone" (around New York) said that Steinbrenner was happy with his mega-deal from MSG...assured of profits no matter how bad the team played. We used to take our Little League teams to Yankee Stadium because the Yankees gave away the tickets. In the late '80s, my division of GE had box seats down near the 3B coach, but nobody used the tickets. The sales crew could not find customers who wanted to see a Yankee game, except for visiting foreigners who didn't know any better.

This is not a patient fan base. If the Yankees decline this year and collapse in 2014 while the Muts build with young players, the fans would switch in a blink. I've seen that switch four or five times since I moved here in 1969.

Another consideration: yes, the Yankees have to compete with the Muts, but both teams also compete for attention against the Rangers/Devils/(Islanders...well, there was a time); the Giants and Jets; and the Knicks plus that other NBA team now in Brooklyn.

You're just proving my point.  All of those highs and lows for the Yankees, and as soon as they started winning in the mid-90's they had one of the largest fanbases in all of professional sports.

They'd have to go through a mind-numbing period of Pittsburgh Pirates-esque losing to be anywhere near what anyone could reasonably consider "danger."

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #69: May 14, 2013, 08:03:20 PM »
I think the Yankees are in first place in the AL East, but Cano and Gardner are the only regulars I recognize.

I had this conversation just the other day.  I loathe the Yankees (except Jeter) but to think they are winning with numerous players out of the lineup is scary.  Of course the Sox, Rays, Jays and O's haven't taken great advantage of it, though Boston and Balty have winning records.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #70: May 14, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »
For the first time I can remember,  the AL east may be the worst division in baseball

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #71: May 14, 2013, 10:00:54 PM »
For the first time I can remember,  the AL east may be the worst division in baseball

I think it has the best overall record of any division?  :shrug:

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #72: May 14, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »

Really??  I would consider it the strongest AL division thus far.  The AL East has the team tied for the most wins and teams that would be in 3rd and 4th in the entire AL.  There is no doubt that, currently, they are better than the AL West. 

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #73: May 14, 2013, 10:26:07 PM »
It is pretty weak on paper and that could end up being true by the end of the season, but there's no way you can say that right now with any certainty.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: May 14, 2013, 11:10:33 PM »
It has the Yankees playing over their heads,  the Rays who may be good,  and three other terrible teams