Author Topic: It's the Breaking Bad thread, nag!  (Read 9420 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: It's the Breaking Bad thread, nag!
« Reply #100: August 12, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »
Oh, by the way, I love how at the start of the show, Walt was trapped working at a car wash in a job he hated, and now Walt is trapped working at a car wash in a job he hates.

He hated how he was treated by the customers and his boss, add the owner he doesn't have those issues, he's in charge.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #101: August 12, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
That's why I think Jesse winds up in an interrogation room with Hank and Hank offers to cut him a deal.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if Jesse tells all to the feds, seems likely out of guilt, not to mention that he knows that Walt can easily have people in jail killed. They'd have to put him in a safe house.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #102: August 12, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
I hate when Jesse is in depressed mode. I love the character but it seems he'll be stuck in this mood for 3-4 episodes. I love when Jesse is "Science, nag!" Jesse or first half of Season 5 Jesse.

I also feel like he is going to die before the season is over.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #103: August 12, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
This show is awesome. Just awesome. That's a fact all the more amazing to me after watching that Talking Bad last night. I can't believe this show had the balls to do what they did - the first goddamn episode back, seven episodes left, and they don't let the "Hank knows, but Walt doesn't know Hank knows' brew for cheap ass dramatic effect. Seriously, they don't even sit on it for one episode - how many other TV shows in history would do that, ignoring the pay-off of five years of building where we wait for Hank to find out and then work to bust Walt's ass."

I bring up the Talking Bad thing just because it does shock me - I get this impression that Gilligan just lucked into this concept at the right time. A stroke of genius, but not from a genius. Like, how many showrunners wear a t-shirt hawking their own show to something like that? Don't get me wrong, this, unlike Sopranos, will actually go down as one of TV's best shows ever long after it's done. And Gilligan will be heralded for it. I just don't see him repeating this masterpiece based on various interviews and crap I've seen, which again. I don't bring up to out the show down - just the opposite. It's all the more shocking and mind blowing that they do what no other show would in regards to the Hank affair. Amazing, and it's going to pay off 1000% in the final episodes.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #104: August 12, 2013, 05:37:09 PM »
brew for cheap ass dramatic effect
Since you mentioned "brew" - I LOVED that shot of Hank sorting through all the files growing increasingly tense, filtered through the mirror with the big ridiculous Schraderbrau sticker of Hank holding up a pint.

- Why do you think Sopranos isn't one of TV's best shows?
- Why do you think Vince Gilligan isn't a genius? If all geniuses were people who looked like geniuses, the world would be different.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #105: August 12, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
Since you mentioned "brew" - I LOVED that shot of Hank sorting through all the files growing increasingly tense, filtered through the mirror with the big ridiculous Schraderbrau sticker of Hank holding up a pint.

- Why do you think Sopranos isn't one of TV's best shows?
- Why do you think Vince Gilligan isn't a genius? If all geniuses were people who looked like geniuses, the world would be different.

Yeah, the discovery of the book being missing... Filmed as perfectly as is possible. It genuinely conveyed the tension to the viewer, something that's become more difficult as we see everything done the same way dozens of times. Having Walt decide to look for the GPS tracker, in the middle of the night, in his bath robe - again, perfect. It showed the character's flaws and weakness, his encroaching doom. Not a man in a suit and top hat, a dying man in his bath robe.

The Sopranos comment - I personally don't think Sopranos was quite as great as everybody else did when it aired. Like, for example, it wasn't completely unique. The mob genre had been done for decades. Then there was the Whole Nine Yards or whatever film released the same year Sopranos premiered, showing a mob boss seeing... a psychiatrist. This was right place, right time for the Sopranos, but it wasn't a revolutionary concept as clearly similar stories were being batted around the studios at that time. Not so for a meth making chemistry teacher. Add in the questionable plots and ending I felt was weak, especially right in the aftermath of Six Feet Under's perfection...

Well, now that it's been off the air for a while, you don't hear the same deification and reverence for it you once did. People admit it's a good show, but not the 'Holy crap, this is the best thing ever!' you heard when it was airing - there are few if any reruns on TV now, just a few short years after it premiered. Everybody thought that removing the violence and language for basic cable would allow new audiences to be exposed to it, and that failed. So I dunno, but you have to admit, the level of hype isn't even on the same plane of existence that it was when it was airing. But Breaking Bad I suspect will be different - people will be seeking this out after hearing about it years later and agreeing it's amazing.

I concede on the 'looking like geniuses' part. But..  he doesn't strike me as being a true storytelling genius. Maybe part of this spins off from my days watching the X-Files and being obsessed with all things X, including loving even his Lone Gunmen spinoff. He seems to be the type of guy who can either have an amazing idea that other folks hone and shape into perfection, or absolute trash. For example, look at his decade long layoff between X-Files and Breaking Bad - zero tv shows, even failed ones, in the middle. But it also does admitedly come from interviews I've seen where, not based on his appearance or attire, but his answers, he just doesn"l't strike me as this mad genius of filmed storys. Doesn't change the utterly amazing perfection that is the entirety, six entire years of perfection, that is BB. That's hard to be good that long that consistentlyb- few, if any others, have accomplished it. So he deserves a lot of credit, but I'm just not waiting with bated breath for his followup to top/equal BB.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #106: August 12, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
Of course it's worth pointing out that the whole writers' room on this show is amazing. There's already a good breakdown of the dynamic they have, just from the Star Trek scene last night. Apparently Gilligan actually wrote some ST fanfiction about a pie-eating contest, and he'd told the writers about it and explained it all to them. And then Peter Gould (who wrote last night's episode) got in a fight with another writer over the teleporting thing, and they realized they could turn it into a scene and copied down the argument they had pretty much word-for-word. Then they asked Vince if they could use his fanfic as Badger's script idea.

This link has the whole story and also an animated version of the pie-eating contest:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/breaking-bad-badger-star-trek-story-animated.html

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #107: August 12, 2013, 06:09:53 PM »
The best part was that Badger was planning on submitting a script for a show where the actors are all in their 80s or dead.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #108: August 12, 2013, 06:16:19 PM »
Of course it's worth pointing out that the whole writers' room on this show is amazing. There's already a good breakdown of the dynamic they have, just from the Star Trek scene last night. Apparently Gilligan actually wrote some ST fanfiction about a pie-eating contest, and he'd told the writers about it and explained it all to them. And then Peter Gould (who wrote last night's episode) got in a fight with another writer over the teleporting thing, and they realized they could turn it into a scene and copied down the argument they had pretty much word-for-word. Then they asked Vince if they could use his fanfic as Badger's script idea.

This link has the whole story and also an animated version of the pie-eating contest:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/breaking-bad-badger-star-trek-story-animated.html

Lol, I don't know I'd be admitting to having a conversation that seemed totally proper for a couple of methed up nutbags, but c'est la vie. The whole...

"And then he starts gurgling blood..."

"No!"

"Yeah - his intestines get teleported out!"

"Oh, snap!"

Your point is what half my post could have been shortened down to though - people are too quick to kneel before the almighty showrunner as genius and God almighty. That just ain't how TV works. And it's on display exactly with the consistent quality I mentioned - my god, there really has never been a single episode of BB that I watched and went "meh."

What does it say about a series when everybody can name exactly one episode for this discussion - the Fly. And half the folks want to burn the negative of it, the other half herald it is one of the greatest, most iconic BB episodes. BB is an amazing show, but it ain't because of VG. He had an insanely brilliant initial concept, then lucked out like hell with one of the best writing staffs in the history of the medium and probably, and I don't think this is hyperbole, the greatest casted role ever. Cranston is just... there are no words. He's perfect and amazing and brilliant and genius and... he looks the part. He acts *both* parts, loving father and evilest son of a nag ever. Tony Soprano... well, he was a badass. Like Don Draper, irredeemable. But Walt? Even last night, goddammit, I'm still rooting for him over Hank. After all Walt's done, there could be no greater praise for Cranston than that.

He makes you feel empathy for an irredeemable psychopath. Hamm, Gandolfini... good actors in iconic roles, but Cranston is in an entirely different league.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #109: August 12, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
I just finished watching all six seasons of The Sopranos. Amazing show, and I thought the ending was very good. I don't get all the hate.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #110: August 12, 2013, 06:30:50 PM »
I just finished watching all six seasons of The Sopranos. Amazing show, and I thought the ending was very good. I don't get all the hate.

I think I'm coming off as being way more anti-Sopranos than I really am. I don't want to take this thread totally off course, but it boils down to what I already said - when Sopranos was airing, it was a cultural event. Everybody was raving about it being the best show in 60 years of TV. Then... it went off the air. Now, it doesn't even make many top ten all-time lists. My point - people heaped too much praise and overreacted when it was on, but in retrospect, it clearly hasn't endured over the years.

Gandolfini, Tony Soprano himself, dies tragically and relatively young, and even then the praise honestly became more about him as an actor, including other roles, and not much renewed talk about Sopranos being genius and one of the best shows ever. (As well it should, he was an amazing actor who had amazing performances outside of Tony.)

The Sopranos was great for one main reason - it ushered in a new era of TV. No longer g-rated BS, it defined the cable TV show. It made BB, Mad Men, Dexter, Homeland, etc. Possible. It showed an utterly bad guy as the main protagonist, not antagonist. That was revolutionary. It's impact can't be minimized. But as far as story quality goes, I just can't buy entirely into "Sopranos - Greatest Ever" to the extent it was once praised.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #111: August 12, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
I guess we have to agree to disagree on a couple things, Coladar. I do not think Gilligan had a great initial idea and the rest was just luck; you seem to have gone too far the other way. Based on interviews I've read and DVD commentaries I've watched, Gilligan's a modest guy who plays down his own role, and he has input from a great team all around (Michael Slovis is a genius - and the production design staff is amazing). But who hired that team? And Gilligan is a pretty picky guy who signs off on everything. Like, he looked through pictures of everyone who showed up to an open casting call, and from those pictures chose a guy who had never acted before in his life to play Bogdan. In real life Bogdan is a research scientist.

the greatest casted role ever.

Aw, dude. Peter Falk as Columbo? Lucille Ball as Lucy? This is a truly great cast, but I'm not comfortable with calling anyone in history the #1 greatest.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #112: August 12, 2013, 06:56:12 PM »
Oh and Gilligan personally chose the custom color of the Aztek to make Walt seem as boring as possible.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #113: August 12, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »
Lol, I don't know I'd be admitting to having a conversation that seemed totally proper for a couple of methed up nutbags, but c'est la vie. The whole...

You do know that all writers smoke dope and half of them shoot heroin right?

When Badger said that the berries were from Gamma quadrant and the other dude corrects him "that's Voyager yo", I about bust out laughing.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #114: August 12, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
Aw, dude. Peter Falk as Columbo? Lucille Ball as Lucy? This is a truly great cast, but I'm not comfortable with calling anyone in history the #1 greatest.

Like you said on the rest, agree to disagree. But like I said, I'm one of the few folks who actually loved VG's Lone Gunmen spinoff series. I'm hardly saying that the show succeeded in spite of having him as the showrunner, simply that I feel Breaking Bad wouldn't be remotely what it is today if not for the contributions of many others at various levels.

In other words, take BB with VG and put in, let's say, the Law & Order SVU writing/directorial staff, you don't get one of the best shows of all time. One final point I'll make with VG - this is the dude who wrote Hancock. You know, that godawful Will Smith movie? (If you loved Hancock, apologies.)

Now as far as the casting, I feel pretty confident in saying that. First and foremost, I cannot picture any other present day actor approaching what Cranston has done. His appearance alone just gives off this remarkable Jekyll and Hyde where one minute, loving family guy, put on a top hat and suit, baddest muthafreaka in history. Good lord, this is Hal, from Malcolm in the Middle. Stunning, utterly unique and historic transformation.

Then his acting chops - incredible. His most known role beforehand was from a family comedy, and whike he did some dramatic parts, seemed to be, for the most part, known as a comedic actor.

Lucille Ball largely played herself. Not exactly a stunning transformation there - hell, in most all things she did she played one goddamn role. Further, there wasn't the vain, surface 'appearance' thing quite as much as with Cranston/Walt. DVD covers, promotional posters - when they portray Walt as the evil badass he is, it comes through in just still photos. He's literally scary looking.

Have there been a ton of great casting choices over the years, where an actor came to symbolize a particular role? Certainly.

But three factors separate them from Cranston - first, I don't see any other modern actor being able to approach Cranston as Walt. That saying gets used a lot with iconic roles, but here it is particularly apt. Especially with the dichotomy of Evil Heisenberg, lovable Walter White, family man - having me *still* rooting for him despite all he's done. Like I already mentioned, Hamm and Gandolfini were great. But you don't like their characters, with Don Draper far more of a saint than Walt ever was. That Cranston can pull that off is amazing. Then lastly, there's Cranston coming from an entirely different genre/character set and completely owning the dramatic villain role from day one. Ball and most others had careers beforehand mastering their craft. Cranston just made the craft his nag.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #115: August 12, 2013, 11:40:28 PM »
One final point I'll make with VG - this is the dude who wrote Hancock. You know, that godawful Will Smith movie? (If you loved Hancock, apologies.)
C'mon, dude, you know that with a major Hollywood studio movie with a five-figure budget, the original screenplay is gonna get mauled to death by executives and stars and other crapbirds.

one minute, loving family guy, put on a top hat and suit, baddest muthafreaka in history... utterly unique and historic transformation.
Not TV, but...

Lucille Ball largely played herself.
I don't know about that; I never met her. But I think this statement may be a testament to her awe-inspiring skill.

Anyway you're not going to hear me complaining about Cranston or many other facets of BB. And I haven't seen Sopranos, so I'm not really going to make any comparison arguments. Comparisons are silly anyway; Breaking Bad is a great show and I don't see why it needs to be any more or less great than some other TV show.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #116: August 13, 2013, 08:17:08 AM »
Such an amazingly written show, they have been so efficient in the way they have done all scripting, I literally haven't idea what to expect from the remaining episodes

Offline Dave B

« Reply #117: August 13, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
I think Walt has somehow faked his own death,  if there is a way to do it.  That is why the neighbor looks like she has seen a  ghost.  Guns are for shooting up lydia,  new meth  lab,  czechs.  Ricin possibly for himself.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #118: August 13, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »
One thing I don't understand, is at the end of last season, Skyler just wanted Walt to die, and now their back to sharing a standard double? I don't care if there's no boom boom, but really? Same bed? What gives?

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #119: August 13, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
I could be wrong but once he said that he was 100% out of the meth gig I thought there was some light in here eye maybe thinking they could at least co-exist. 

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #120: August 14, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
I guess that's a possibility, and having the kids back home. Maybe that's it. Oh, and the cool stacks in the storage locker.....

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #121: August 15, 2013, 03:46:13 AM »
I could be wrong but once he said that he was 100% out of the meth gig I thought there was some light in here eye maybe thinking they could at least co-exist. 

if you can't beat them join them. she fears for her own safety, and after manipulating him for years she now fears him

Offline Dave B

« Reply #122: August 15, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »
I wonder if he has any unfinished business with his old chemistry colleagues.  That could be what has fueled much of his run.  Showing them that he can earn a fortune without them  and that he is an accomplished chemist.  He was too proud to accept their charity. I think there was also a love interest there too at one point

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #123: August 19, 2013, 02:47:11 AM »

Todd's back.

Can't wait to see...

Jesse and Hank talk it out.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #124: August 19, 2013, 05:49:47 PM »
That's why I think Jesse winds up in an interrogation room with Hank and Hank offers to cut him a deal.
BOOYAH CALLED IT