Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP  (Read 141540 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP
« Reply #75: June 05, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »
If he goes to ucla, he's a moron. He's at risk for TJ, suppose he needs it in spring next year, he misses a whole year, then gets a partial season (coming off surgery) to prove himself and better his draft position

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #76: June 05, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
I'm done arguing, mostly because I hope you're correct  8)

:cheers:

I'm also hoping I'm correct :lol:

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #77: June 05, 2012, 02:39:44 PM »
I wonder which would be more harmful -- losing one first round pick or going signability for a ton of our picks this year.

The thing is, with the new rules, you're pretty much going signability either way.  The days of being able to drop $2m on a 4th round pick are pretty much over. Even if they give slot to Giolito, they're looking at bonuses in the X00k range going down the line.  So it's not like they're missing out on an AJ Cole or a Matt Purke or somebody like that because they dropped $3m on Giolito in the first round.  Basically, the way the rules set up now, you get to take maybe one guy who pushes on slot, and then everybody else gets squeezed accordingly. 

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #78: June 05, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »
I just had a thought. Provided the #1 next year gets taken away, that loss could me mostly circumvented by signing a Type-A, right? I mean, under those circumstances I'm sure you'd lose the second rounder as well, but for the right player a second rounder next year might be worth the price.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #79: June 06, 2012, 12:00:12 AM »
I just had a thought. Provided the #1 next year gets taken away, that loss could me mostly circumvented by signing a Type-A, right? I mean, under those circumstances I'm sure you'd lose the second rounder as well, but for the right player a second rounder next year might be worth the price.

someone's going to have to look up how that works.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #80: June 18, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
by Doug Thorburn, Baseball Prospectus

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17368

Giolito was the biggest wild card in the draft, with early-season hype that he could become the first high school right-hander ever to be selected with the number-one overall pick, followed by a strained UCL that brought whispers of Tommy John and magnified his draft risk. The Nats were unfazed, drafting yet another high-ceiling player to join recent first-rounders Stephen Strasburg, Bryce Harper, and Anthony Rendon. The teammate of number-seven pick Max Fried, Giolito brings the best combination of age, size, and stuff of any pitcher in the draft.

(Image removed from quote.)

Giolito follows the same early pattern as Fried, using a very deliberate approach as he reaches maximum lift. Giolito keeps the delivery slow and steady until just before foot strike, though he finishes with a burst of momentum just before the front foot touches down, prior to kicking in the rotational elements of his delivery. The pace is slower than that of his high school teammate, but the similarities suggest that both players have been influenced by a particular coaching method that discourages early momentum. The late burst provides a boost, but it falls short of the level of mechanical efficiency that Giolito needs to meet his elite potential.

He creates exceptional hip-shoulder separation that is aided by a scapular load and a late delay of trunk rotation, approaching triple-digit heat while running the risk of elbow drag, which could be related to the injury problems that he has recently experienced. Giolito also features an extremely high angle of shoulder abduction at release point, establishing an arm slot near 11:00 despite very little spine-tilt. He finishes with all of his energy going in a straight line toward the target, to the extent that he literally sticks his neck out to complete the pitch sequence. There is a lot to like about Giolito's mechanics, though he has his work cut out for him if he hopes to reach his lofty ceiling.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #81: June 18, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
Agreed about the spine tilt.

Kidding - I have no idea what any of that means.  Hopefully they get him signed and he gets healthy so he can start his pro career soon.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #82: June 19, 2012, 12:04:14 AM »
Need to sign him.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #83: June 19, 2012, 06:06:30 AM »
by Doug Thorburn, Baseball Prospectus

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17368

He finishes with all of his energy going in a straight line toward the target, to the extent that he literally sticks his neck out to complete the pitch sequence.

Weird.

Love Thorburn. Been reading his blog for years.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #84: June 24, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »
MLBTR:

The Nationals are not willing to pay a fine in order to exceed their draft bonus pool, writes Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post. This is a corection to a story Kilgore wrote yesterday. Kilgore writes this stance will lower the amount the Nationals will be able to offer their first round draft pick Lucas Giolito.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #85: June 24, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »
MLBTR:

So what happens to the 3 mil if they don't sign Gio?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #86: June 24, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »
they sign guys they took after the 10th

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #87: June 24, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »
It doesn't work that way.

If we don't sign him, we lose the money allotted his slot.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #88: June 24, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »
But they have the savings squeezed from elsewhere- his slot is 2.1 million, supposedly they have ~$3 million to throw at him, that leaves 900k to spread around if they don't think they can get him

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #89: June 24, 2012, 07:04:26 PM »
No. Unless you're a top 10 round pick that bonus pool does not apply to you.

There's another pool for post 10th round signings. Significantly smaller.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #90: June 24, 2012, 07:05:16 PM »
It does for bonuses over 100k

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #91: June 24, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »
Even if they settled for the late round kids it becomes a massive failure for not signing Giolito.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #92: June 24, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »
Could br hardball negotiating
MLBTR:

Offline RD

« Reply #93: June 24, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »
While Ill be upset with us not signing Giolito, and agree it'd be a failure if we didnt(though signing one of the HSers taken in the 25-27 rounds would be nice), it would likely set us up pretty well next year.

We'd have the 17th pick in the draft as compensation, along with a pick in the 20's. We'd get that extra cash allotted as well. Since we would be drafting with signability with the 17th pick, we could probably save a decent chunk of change to apply to another selection. Definitely pales in comparison to the thought of landing Giolito, but a sunshine squad way to look at it!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #94: June 25, 2012, 07:50:06 AM »
you have to sign him, no excuses

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #95: June 25, 2012, 07:52:07 AM »
You offer him as much as possible without forfeiting a draft pick - if he takes it great, if not wish him well

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #96: June 25, 2012, 08:35:43 AM »
Nice post, RD.

I imagine they talked to him before drafting him.

You offer him as much as possible without forfeiting a draft pick - if he takes it great, if not wish him well

This.

Either way I'm happy with our BPA strategy even if we occasionally miss.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #97: June 25, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
But they have the savings squeezed from elsewhere- his slot is 2.1 million, supposedly they have ~$3 million to throw at him, that leaves 900k to spread around if they don't think they can get him

it really sucks to be a top prospect these days.  Is there any way top guys can go play overseas for a few years and come back as a FA?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #98: June 25, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »
Some team would probably keep on picking them in the 20th round

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #99: June 25, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »
it really sucks to be a top prospect these days.  Is there any way top guys can go play overseas for a few years and come back as a FA?

I'm not sure.

If you play Indy ball in the states, you're playing for peanuts... if you go to Japan, I think you get locked up for 8-9 years... Korea is a possibility... but then again... how many 18-19 year olds want to go and live in Korea, alone, for a year?