Author Topic: Three cheers for Derek Norris!  (Read 2550 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Three cheers for Derek Norris!
« Reply #25: July 10, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »
Chico interviewed Norris via phone today.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/07/the_rise_of_derek_norris.html

For the moment, though, Norris is far more concerned about his defense than his bat -- and he's convinced that improving his catching will key his rise through the system. After the 2007 draft, Norris picked pro ball over a scholarship to Wichita State only when he learned the Shockers didn't do much one-on-one instruction with their catchers. This offseason, he hired a personal strength coach to work on his lower body strength, all to endure the grind of catching a full season. Norris now keeps a mental checklist of catching to-dos: Keep the chest square; don't fall forward when blocking balls. Asked about his goals for the rest of the season, Norris said this: He wants to see an improvement in the Hagerstown staff ERA.

"I know I can hit, but I want to play defense," said Norris, the only Nationals' minor leaguer listed among Baseball America's latest ranking of the top 50 prospects. "That's really my key goal. That's really is what is gonna move you up. Every team needs a good catcher, and if you don't have a good catcher your team your team is screwed. You'll save more runs behind the plate than you'll ever drive in."

:clap:

it would help if they got him some better starters. Frias is the only starter pitching well. Peacock was solid for a while but has fallen apart. Demny has shown flashes but is inconsistent.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #26: July 10, 2009, 07:57:30 PM »
Derek Norris hit his 21HR today. This kid is a beast.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #27: July 10, 2009, 11:33:58 PM »
props to Norris for getting ejected tonight :lol:

He got thrown out after getting called out on strikes in the 7th. prior to that AB he hadn't been retired all night (2 hits and a walk).