Author Topic: John Lannan is a better man than I'll ever be  (Read 17246 times)

Offline ghostface

Yes. Tom Milone, Brade Meyers and Brad Peacock should all be able to step in the rotation, today, and provide approximate value to what Lannan brings to the table.

Minor league career:

Tom Milone - 73 GS, 3.08 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 7.9 K/9, 1.5 BB/9, 0.5 HR/9, 5.36 K/BB
Brad Peacock - 87 GS, 4.16 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 8.1 K/9, 3.0 BB/9, 0.8 HR/9, 2.72 K/BB
Brad Meyers - 75 GS, 2.93 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 7.7 K/9, 2.1 BB/9, 0.5 HR/9, 3.60 K/BB
John Lannan - 62 GS, 3.95 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 6.3 K/9, 3.4 BB/9, 0.6 HR/9, 1.88 K/BB

come on.  you know all 3 of those minor leaguers can't step into a rotation and produce.  if one of them pans out that would be fantastic, but Lannon has 650 of very respectable innings pitched in the majors.

you can toss Meyers out right now - the guy has an ERA of 4.95 at AAA and Peacock hasn't even reached that level yet.  Milone looks very nice on paper.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
ERA is hardly the best way to judge a pitcher.

Offline RL04

Here, here.

it's "hear hear" :lmao:

Glad to see I'm not the only grammar policeman ... here     ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

Offline hammondsnats

ERA is hardly the best way to judge a pitcher.

he's keeping us in games and giving us a chance to win more often than losing. 

we should all be happy about it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Who said I wasn't happy with how he was pitching?

Offline hammondsnats

Who said I wasn't happy with how he was pitching?

i was just referring to the whole nation of nats fans.

Offline UMDNats

you can toss Meyers out right now - the guy has an ERA of 4.95 at AAA and Peacock hasn't even reached that level yet.  Milone looks very nice on paper.

Meyers had a sub-4 ERA most of the year, but a couple bad starts have shot it up. It won't stay up there for long.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Lannan is the kind of pitcher that thrives with a good defense like the Nats have now.

And, really, no minor league pitcher is a given until he can show he can get it done in the big leagues. I don't give a hoot what their stats or evaluations are.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Lannan has done well since his lucky win against the Phillies. He has destroyed his past and this is the dawnign of a new age.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Lannan might be first among the pitchers who have benefited most from the improved defense.  But all of the pitch to contact guys look better because of less errors, better range, better decisions, etc.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Lannan has been throwing his baseball at 91-92 mph the last few starts... where the hell is that coming from?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Lannan has been throwing his baseball at 91-92 mph the last few starts... where the hell is that coming from?

Tiger blood.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Lannan and Marquis are the kind of "good clubhouse guys" you actually want - you know, since they can actually play.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
And I meant fastball not baseball. Stupid Droid auto correct.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Tiger blood.
Well it's damn sure not Adonis DNA.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
come on.  you know all 3 of those minor leaguers can't step into a rotation and produce.  if one of them pans out that would be fantastic, but Lannon has 650 of very respectable innings pitched in the majors.

While I like Lannan and see no reason to toss him on the scrap heap for an unknown quantity, it would behoove you to spell Lannan's name right. It looks silly.

I don't think we will ever see dominance from Lannan, but he does seem much more confident on the mound lately and I also believe it has to have something to do with the much improved defense. Lannan is the type pitcher that seems to fall apart when the opposing lineup gets a 4th out due to an error.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
While I like Lannan and see no reason to toss him on the scrap heap for an unknown quantity, it would behoove you to spell Lannan's name right. It looks silly.

I don't think we will ever see dominance from Lannan, but he does seem much more confident on the mound lately and I also believe it has to have something to do with the much improved defense. Lannan is the type pitcher that seems to fall apart when the opposing lineup gets a 4th out due to an error.

I would have no problem with Lannan as the 4th or 5th starter, and he has pitched well lately. I would also like to know where the added velocity came from. It isn't really weird though for a starting pitcher that looked slightly below average to suddenly come into their own in their late 20's.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Well it's damn sure not Adonis DNA.

If you doubt Lannan, Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
You guys are revisionist when it comes to Lannan. Lol, at the fallacy that he's confident cuz of the defense this year. FOH!!! Lannan had career years in 09 and 08 when the defense was at it worst. You jokers just dont appreciate him cuz he's a groundball finesse pitcher and not an overpowering pitcher like Stras.4

I hate the fact that you ppl are trying to credit his performance with the improved defense when he's been doing his thing for almost four season. Lanna has been the most consistent starter in the brief history of this francise. LOL at minor leagueers being able to come up and produce his output . How often has that happened already for us..? Atilano, Stamnen, Detwiler, Martis, Mock???? How bout wnff favorite Balester. Yeah if that was the case it wouldve been happened already. There a reason Lannan has been up here all these years and those guys come and go evey season.

I might not appreciate Lannan's talents, but i do appreciate his consistency and professionalism. I hope he around and serviceable when we become a winning franchise. And you dont become a winning franchise by getting rid of stand-up  performers like Lannan.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I haven't seen anyone in this thread say "Lannan sucks".

I do think his production can be approximated by a pitcher in the minors at a lower salary, next year, though.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
You guys are revisionist when it comes to Lannan. Lol, at the fallacy that he's confident cuz of the defense this year. FOH!!! Lannan had career years in 09 and 08 when the defense was at it worst. You jokers just dont appreciate him cuz he's a groundball finesse pitcher and not an overpowering pitcher like Stras.4

I hate the fact that you ppl are trying to credit his performance with the improved defense when he's been doing his thing for almost four season. Lanna has been the most consistent starter in the brief history of this francise. LOL at minor leagueers being able to come up and produce his output . How often has that happened already for us..? Atilano, Stamnen, Detwiler, Martis, Mock???? How bout wnff favorite Balester. Yeah if that was the case it wouldve been happened already. There a reason Lannan has been up here all these years and those guys come and go evey season.

I might not appreciate Lannan's talents, but i do appreciate his consistency and professionalism. I hope he around and serviceable when we become a winning franchise. And you dont become a winning franchise by getting rid of stand-up  performers like Lannan.

:wtf: :hammer:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

I do think his production can be approximated by a pitcher in the minors at a lower salary, next year, though.

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think you ship him out or cut him loose on nothing more than a wing and a prayer, though.  Especially not over a few million dollars.  Cost should not be a concern with him being under team control for two more years.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!

LOL so a pitcher in the minors can come in right away and give close 200 ip and a sub 4 era. Miss me with the 4-4.5 era . He's only had one season with a era over 3. That career 4.04 era isn't credible at all.

You guys havent outright said he sucked but you are under appreciating his value and production.

You dont have enough quantifiable evidence to back the bolded statement you made. Not based of the history off the pitching prospects from this franchise's farm system.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I wish you'd quit generalizing.  Not all of us feel the way Linty feels.