Author Topic: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?  (Read 11291 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Nationals-Orioles Rivarly?
« Reply #25: February 19, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »
The orioles are a garbage franchise in a garbage city, and we would not dignify them with a rivalry.   However, most of us do hate them, but that's because they kept baseball out of DC for 30+ years.

This.

Not sure how anyone who ever wanted a home team could be apathetic about the angelOs.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #26: February 19, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
Some people of a certain age either became Orioles fans or just went to a lot of games at Memorial while playing little league ball in DC or the surrounding burbs.  You know who you are (ahem, er, "we")

Offline Coladar

« Reply #27: February 20, 2013, 12:14:12 AM »
haha. i just thought because they are in 2 different leagues and "share" (I use that term loosely) MASN maybe there was no real rivalry. guess i was wrong. lol

No worries. But yeah, as others have since alluded to... Any true Washingtonian possesses a deep hatred of all things Orioles. Nothing to do with the team, but the jackass owner who kept baseball out of DC years after it should have returned (the expansions during the 90s.)

Add that to the Nats getting further screwed by Angelos with the MASN deal, some folks in the area viewing Baltimore with derision and scorn as a crime ridden craphole (Folks who haven't been across the Anacostia in DC... Glass houses and stones.) The moronic "MASN cup" has the teams attempting to create a rivalry based on the actual teams and games, not political/soclial BS. Largely a failure, again as others have mentioned, the NL/AL division prevents any true rivalry as with the Phillies.

The two teams are far enough apart there isn't the Mets/Yankees or Cubs/Sox type of hatred. DC folks don't identify with Baltimore in any way, shape or form. In football, there are Redskins fans that are Washingtonians, and Ravens fans that are Marylanders. Again, due to NFC and AFC separation, there's little to no Skins/Ravens rivalry. Heck, they made the Super Bowl and this area largely didn't give a crap.

But so long as Angelos owns the team, the majority of Nats fans will despise/hate the O's franchise.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #28: February 20, 2013, 05:56:29 AM »
Between 1971 and 2004 I became an Os fan because they were the only game in town.   I never lost hope that DC would one day get a team.   Even went to NATSFEST and rallies.   Since they are in different leagues,  I still root for them. Especially vs the Yankees.   When they play the NATS,  I ROOT FOR THEIR NATS!   EVEN AT CAMDEN YARDS!

HUGE HUGE RIPKEN FAN or can't you tell?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #29: February 20, 2013, 07:22:29 AM »
I grew up following the O's.  I remember Joe Orsulak and Mike Deveraux and Randy Milligan.  It wasn't until later that I came to realize how hard Angelos was fighting to keep baseball out of DC.  My dislike for the O's now (and hoping for their failure, even against the Yankees and Red Sox) stems from my dislike for Angelos. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #30: February 20, 2013, 07:58:38 AM »
But so long as Angelos owns the team, the majority of Nats fans will despise/hate the O's franchise.

I've been rooting against the Os for longer than Angelos has owned the team.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: February 20, 2013, 08:27:51 AM »
My season ticket group had Os full season tickets when Washington did not get a team in the early '90s, and we kept them through 2004.  Of course, I went to root for the Red Sox . . .

I think it is mostly hate of the business side of the Os.  Even replacing Memorial with OPACY and dropping Balmer from the uniforms were moves designed to make DC fans into Os fans.  Those were not Angelos moves.  The organization from the get go tried to manipulate Washington into a combined market to give it the power to go head to head with the teams north of it in its division (I'm including Toronto and Rogers / Labatt's in that axis).  for fans who did adopt the Os, angelos became despicable for his meddling and running the team into the ground.  When he became the principle obstacle to a franchise here, that united the Angelos haters with the more general hostility to the unified market / DC can't support a team view promoted by all Os owners. 

On the field, I think the pure Os haters enjoyed some of the farcical teams over the past 15 or so years, but there probably is more indifference to their on-field product than hate.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: February 20, 2013, 08:31:58 AM »
On the field, I think the pure Os haters enjoyed some of the farcical teams over the past 15 or so years, but there probably is more indifference to their on-field product than hate.

no, I want on field to get bad enough for them to have to relocate

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: February 20, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
By "enjoyed," I meant reveling in their misery.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #34: February 20, 2013, 08:55:27 AM »
[...]On the field, I think the pure Os haters enjoyed some of the farcical teams over the past 15 or so years, but there probably is more indifference to their on-field product than hate.

I will admit that in recent years, at times when the Nats aren't playing, I'll flip the radio over to AM-980 to catch an Orioles match (hoping to listen to a loss!).

Meanwhile, I have never attended a match at either Memorial Stadium or at Preparation H Park at Camden Yards (in fact I've never actually set foot in Baltimore, but have passed through on trains/buses many times), and have never had my telly tuned to MASN...I cannot support anything connected with an organisation that kept baseball out of DC for my first 28 years' residency here.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #35: February 20, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »
no, I want on field to get bad enough for them to have to relocate

Sounds good to me...let's get those Mayflower vans rolling again!

...and while we're at it, let's take down that excerpt from Cal Ripken's Hall of Fame induction speech that's posted on the wall to the right of the escalator leading to the Scoreboard Walk...we are not a dependency of Baltimore, we are the Washington Nationals!

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #36: February 20, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »
there are a lot of dc/nats/redskins fans who adopt the baltimore teams when it benefits them

...in large part, DC media types...during the most recent NFL playoffs we practically got the Ravens crammed down our throats as 'our team' (that's why I rooted for the 49ers in the Super Bowl).

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #37: February 20, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »
When he became the principle obstacle to a franchise here, that united the Angelos haters with the more general hostility to the unified market / DC can't support a team view promoted by all Os owners.

You know back in the late 90's, when I was in school in Baltimore, I wasn't exactly an O's fan, but I could get behind them. They were in the  ALCS and it was an exciting time to be there.

I didn't really start hating the Orioles until Angelos stomped his feet and cried unfair when the Nats were  moving here. On top of that, the utter hamstringing in the MASN Deal made me want to wish for the utter worst for that fair weather city. He made such an ass of himself through that whole ordeal..."There are no real baseball fans in DC, that's a fiction!" still grates on my nerves. Not to mention that joke of a city didn't start showing up for the O's until about halfway through the year, when it became clear they were a 1-year wonder, instead of a 1/2 or 1/4 of a year.

I will revel in that team falling back to .500 or below this year.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #38: February 20, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »
Sounds good to me...let's get those Mayflower vans rolling again!

...and while we're at it, let's take down that excerpt from Cal Ripken's Hall of Fame induction speech that's posted on the wall to the right of the escalator leading to the Scoreboard Walk...we are not a dependency of Baltimore, we are the Washington Nationals!

Amen to the moving vans. The one good thing about the Cal speech is that I have a place to hawk loogies on the way to my seat.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #39: February 20, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »
...in large part, DC media types...during the most recent NFL playoffs we practically got the Ravens crammed down our throats as 'our team' (that's why I rooted for the 49ers in the Super Bowl).

I heard the Ravens Super Bowl champion t-shirts are still on the shelf at local Giant food stores.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #40: February 20, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »
The moronic "MASN cup" has the teams attempting to create a rivalry based on the actual teams and games, not political/soclial BS. Largely a failure, again as others have mentioned, the NL/AL division prevents any true rivalry as with the Phillies.

:lol:

Powerboater's feelings are going to be hurt.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #41: February 20, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »

I was planning on addressing that, not good.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #42: February 20, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »
I'm an O's fan. Obviously, they're way behind the Nats, but they were my team as a kid. I'm not old enough to remember the full extent of Angelos' maneuvering to keep baseball out of DC, but I know enough to make me hate him. That doesn't make me hate his team though. Far from it. Every Orioles fan I've spoken to hates Angelos more than most Nats fans- why root against their team? Sure, you can root against Angelos. But at that rate you may as well just root for him to lose money because that's all he's really cared about during hs ownership anyway.

Offline natspride

« Reply #43: February 20, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »
I freaking hate Peter Angelos. My dislike for the O's stems from that. Cal Ripken buys the team and I'll back the O's all up until the World Series.
So basically you're an O's fan who just dislikes Angelos?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #44: February 20, 2013, 07:10:08 PM »
There has always been a hostility from interloping newcomer bush league Baltimore, citizens of which are JEALOUS of the Nation's Capital. Redskins / Colts, Nats / Orioles. Even though the current Baltimore football team is really the Cleveland Browns in disguise, beating them ranks just after beating Dallas, Philadelphia, and the NY Giants.

Added: the owners of the [St Louis Browns operating in Baltimore] declared ownership of Washington as soon as Bob S[expletive deleted] loaded trucks with the Washington Senators and moved to some jerkwater town in Texas. The only Arlington sits near Alexandria.

Owners of the Browns/Orioles diverted every MLB expansion to faraway non-baseball cities. Tampa? Miami? They blocked all teams from moving to DC. They demanded that the Washington Post cover the Baltimore team like a home team.

For live current offenses against the District, see the TV contract.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #45: February 20, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »

I had just about forgotten about the MASN Cup when an internet radio guy from Baltimore revived it.  Since he started promoting the Cup on Twitter I passed along my title of MASN Cup Commissioner to him.  I had fun running the MASN Cup threads on the Os boards for three or four years, then the mods started deleting them and the Nats started losing the season series so I lost interest.  A recent Google search returns a handful of hits from last year, mostly Os fans who still root for their team to win the Cup.  I also found a fantasy football league that picked the MASN Cup as their prize.  Sux that there are only four games this year, we've got to beat those jerks outright, I'm tired of crapping out these past few years.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #46: February 20, 2013, 10:28:45 PM »
How anyone can bother hating the Orioles when there are Phillies, Mets, and Barves to save one's venom for is pretty much beyond me.  Angelos did this, Angelos did that...well, at least put the blame for DC not having a team for a generation where it really belongs (MLB).  Not that I really care one way or the other these days, but the Orioles were the ONLY show in town back in the day (most of you can't possibly understand this, as you probably aren't from here).  In the days of broadcast television, major league ball here consisted of a) World Series and league playoff series, and b) Orioles.  That's it.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #47: February 20, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
I think our Rivalry with the Philthies is wayyyyy more virulent than our Rivalry with the O's.  Braves are second but their fans aren't half the pain in the but that the Philthy Phans are (and that goes for their Football and Hockey Phans too)!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #48: February 20, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
How anyone can bother hating the Orioles when there are Phillies, Mets, and Barves to save one's venom for is pretty much beyond me.  Angelos did this, Angelos did that...well, at least put the blame for DC not having a team for a generation where it really belongs (MLB).  Not that I really care one way or the other these days, but the Orioles were the ONLY show in town back in the day (most of you can't possibly understand this, as you probably aren't from here).  In the days of broadcast television, major league ball here consisted of a) World Series and league playoff series, and b) Orioles.  That's it.

With no local team I gave up on baseball altogether for a long time. Rooting for the Os was never an option.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #49: February 20, 2013, 10:46:01 PM »
Between 1971 and 2004 I became an Os fan because they were the only game in town.   I never lost hope that DC would one day get a team.   Even went to NATSFEST and rallies.   Since they are in different leagues,  I still root for them. Especially vs the Yankees.   When they play the NATS,  I ROOT FOR THEIR NATS!   EVEN AT CAMDEN YARDS!

HUGE HUGE RIPKEN FAN or can't you tell?

I like Fred too