Author Topic: If We Were Starting the Playoffs Today......  (Read 6662 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: If We Were Starting the Playoffs Today......
« Reply #75: August 26, 2014, 08:06:45 AM »
on a different topic, what do you guys think we could get for j zimm in the offseason?

We should wait until we've won the world series before we start talking about trading ZNN.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: August 26, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
And you ESPECIALLY don't want to overtax your bullpen early in a series. I'd be really afraid with Strasburg or Zimmermann that we'd end up using up our best bullpen guys in a losing effort in game 1.
Zimmermann?  did you mean Gonzalez?

I'm OK with Fister ahead of JZ.  There's arguments both ways.  You say throw out the first post season start on Fister.  OK, do that with JZ and you are left with a tough as nails bullpen appearance and his regular season track record.  The guy that both ERA and the defense independent measures agree on as around a 3 run per 9 guy (unlike Roark, who has  a similar ERA but worse dip stats), comparable WHIP (what is the difference between 1.07, 1.09, and 1.13?), and a blow out the water (K-BB)%?

I'm guessing you wrote a typo. 

Offline More of #34

« Reply #77: August 26, 2014, 10:36:45 AM »
I don't want to get anything for JZ.  Let him stay here!

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #78: August 26, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »
Zimmermann?  did you mean Gonzalez?

I'm OK with Fister ahead of JZ.  There's arguments both ways.  You say throw out the first post season start on Fister.  OK, do that with JZ and you are left with a tough as nails bullpen appearance and his regular season track record.  The guy that both ERA and the defense independent measures agree on as around a 3 run per 9 guy (unlike Roark, who has  a similar ERA but worse dip stats), comparable WHIP (what is the difference between 1.07, 1.09, and 1.13?), and a blow out the water (K-BB)%?

I'm guessing you wrote a typo. 

No, I meant to include Zimmermann. Gio wouldn't even be in my starting rotation - he runs WAYYYY too hot and would be disastrous for the bullpen if he couldn't find the strike zone. Serious candidate for getting the hook in like the 2nd inning.

If I were making a playoff rotation for the Nationals, my first criteria would be that I would want my best chance at a SP giving up 2 runs or fewer. Fister is 14/19 (74%) this year in that regard, Zimmermann is 16/26 (62%), Strasburg is 16/28 (57%), Roark is 18/26 (69%), Gio is 11/21 (52%).

My second criteria would be the pitcher who I feel has the least chance of "blowing up" and giving up like 4+ runs and leaving us behind. Fister is 3/19 (16%), Zimmermann 5/26 (19%), Strasburg 8/28 (29%), Roark 5/26 (19%), Gio 6/21 (29%).

I also don't understand how you can equate Zimmermann's postseason record with Fister's. They are not comparable to me. I'm throwing out one start out of 8, you're throwing out Zimmermann's ONLY postseason start. Fister has demonstrated, with 7 starts in a row over 3 postseason years, that he has the ability to perform. Zimmermann has NEVER done it before except in one inning where 2 of the 3 batters he faced were Pete Kozma and Kyle Lohse.

I'm not saying I don't trust Zimmermann, or that he won't perform. I think he will. But in a divisional series, after what happened last time, I think it's imperative the Nationals get settled in and feel comfortable, and I feel like that's what Fister brings to the table.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #79: August 26, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Also JCA, I fully concede that you could be right about Zimmermann. Maybe it was just one bad start against the Cards and he'll be a shutdown SP in the postseason from now on. But that's what happens when you blow the only opportunity you've had - why take the chance on it NOT being a coincidence when you have someone like Fister available?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #80: August 26, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
Don't even think of such stupidity

on a different topic, what do you guys think we could get for j zimm in the offseason?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #81: August 26, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
Also JCA, I fully concede that you could be right about Zimmermann. Maybe it was just one bad start against the Cards and he'll be a shutdown SP in the postseason from now on. But that's what happens when you blow the only opportunity you've had - why take the chance on it NOT being a coincidence when you have someone like Fister available?
I agree that JZ is inexperienced in the post season relative to Fister.  I do wonder how Fister always ended up at the back of Leyland's playoff rotations, but that should not take away from what he actually did.

Pretty clearly, 3 pitchers are ahead of the other two in terms of performance so far this year, and, of the 3, it's been Fister then JZ/Roark.  My only pause about Fister is some defense independent and batted ball stuff (lot's of pulled flies this year).  I worry about contact against better hitting line ups.  It's only a pause, though.  He probably deserves the start, but I would not be surprised if JZ outperforms him in the playoffs.  But I'm also the guy who wanted to extennd zimmermann after his first couple of starts in 2011.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #82: August 26, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »
Don't even think of such stupidity

Well we're not keeping Zimmermann, Fister, and Desmond because those are all going to cost $100mm+ and there is no chance in hell we're letting fister go.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #83: August 26, 2014, 12:48:05 PM »
Well we're not keeping Zimmermann, Fister, and Desmond because those are all going to cost $100mm+ and there is no chance in hell we're letting fister go.
There's not?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #85: August 26, 2014, 01:09:10 PM »
Sure, and it will outweight all the good work that Roark did (who has absolutely earned it) from April on. That's my point.

if nothing else, sports writers are probably salivating. They get the initial story about the decision and if the guy chosen posts a loss, a whole lot of column inches second guessing

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #86: August 26, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »
No...

apparently players no longer have free will - Fister is no longer going to realize he's one year away from a massive deal and choosing where he plays and decide to take what the nats are offering

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #87: August 26, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »
Apparently...

Offline whytev

« Reply #88: August 26, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »
No, I meant to include Zimmermann. Gio wouldn't even be in my starting rotation - he runs WAYYYY too hot and would be disastrous for the bullpen if he couldn't find the strike zone. Serious candidate for getting the hook in like the 2nd inning.

If I were making a playoff rotation for the Nationals, my first criteria would be that I would want my best chance at a SP giving up 2 runs or fewer. Fister is 14/19 (74%) this year in that regard, Zimmermann is 16/26 (62%), Strasburg is 16/28 (57%), Roark is 18/26 (69%), Gio is 11/21 (52%).

My second criteria would be the pitcher who I feel has the least chance of "blowing up" and giving up like 4+ runs and leaving us behind. Fister is 3/19 (16%), Zimmermann 5/26 (19%), Strasburg 8/28 (29%), Roark 5/26 (19%), Gio 6/21 (29%).

I also don't understand how you can equate Zimmermann's postseason record with Fister's. They are not comparable to me. I'm throwing out one start out of 8, you're throwing out Zimmermann's ONLY postseason start. Fister has demonstrated, with 7 starts in a row over 3 postseason years, that he has the ability to perform. Zimmermann has NEVER done it before except in one inning where 2 of the 3 batters he faced were Pete Kozma and Kyle Lohse.

I'm not saying I don't trust Zimmermann, or that he won't perform. I think he will. But in a divisional series, after what happened last time, I think it's imperative the Nationals get settled in and feel comfortable, and I feel like that's what Fister brings to the table.

Zimmermann is not the guy to be gun shy over.

Average IP/start this year:

DF 6.53
TR 6.39
SS 6.25
JZ 6.12
GG 5.71

If longevity is your worry, aside from Gio they are all within 2 outs.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #89: August 26, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »
1. Not Gio
2. Not Gio
3. Not Gio
4. Not Gio
5. Detwiler

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #90: August 26, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »
Let's stop talking about the playoffs for a while, bad karma.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #91: August 26, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »
In spite of all the hand wringing we're in. Book it!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #92: August 26, 2014, 11:23:14 PM »
Let's stop talking about the playoffs for a while, bad karma.

You're right.  We're definitely affecting the outcome of these games.

We should wait until we've won the world series before we start talking about trading ZNN.

You're going to look really foolish for this later. :lol:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #93: August 26, 2014, 11:25:07 PM »

You're going to look really foolish for this later. :lol:

It just seems freaking stupid to be talking about off season trades when we're in the thick of a pennant race.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #94: August 26, 2014, 11:30:06 PM »
I'm with you there.  I was just referring to the World Series remark. :P

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #95: August 27, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »
These discussions are so much more fun than debating what draft position we will get and who will be available in the first few picks!

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #96: August 27, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
no kidding
These discussions are so much more fun than debating what draft position we will get and who will be available in the first few picks!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #97: August 27, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »

SF may disagree. He loves him some young prospects.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #98: August 27, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
SF may disagree. He loves him some young prospects.

"Prospects"...is that what he calls teenage girls??   :couch:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #99: August 27, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »
No he don't roll like that. He just likes players under 25.