Author Topic: Can't compete without Zimmerman  (Read 3380 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Can't compete without Zimmerman
« Reply #50: August 19, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »
not that I don't like RZim, but I wish he was the one getting squeezed out next season. DH is his only position in baseball at this point (and he's still miss game getting hurt running the bases) and we don't have that in the NL.

He can still play 1B. Gold glove 1B. He's a great fielder.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #51: August 19, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »
If Laroche leaves, it's to move Zim to first base full time

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #52: August 19, 2014, 04:53:41 PM »
The smart move will be to plan as if Zimmerman won't be on the team, and enjoy the bonus if he's able to contribute.

Offline whytev

« Reply #53: August 19, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »
The smart move will be to plan as if Zimmerman won't be on the team, and enjoy the bonus if he's able to contribute.

Pretty much what I've been saying in the other thread.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #54: August 20, 2014, 01:19:24 AM »
Taylor can play CF no? Im wondering how we can play Souza, Taylor in the lineup with Zimm and etc? I still say Laroche is leaving besides if he becomes big in playoffs

Span can be a bench player as injuries will come out

Offline whytev

« Reply #55: August 20, 2014, 03:49:31 AM »
Taylor can play CF no? Im wondering how we can play Souza, Taylor in the lineup with Zimm and etc? I still say Laroche is leaving besides if he becomes big in playoffs

Yeah let's bench our only .300 hitter.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #56: August 20, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »

ummmm....

Offline rileyn

« Reply #57: August 20, 2014, 07:50:02 AM »

Span is our MVP this year and you want to him to come off the bench?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #58: August 20, 2014, 08:20:53 AM »

absurd  :smh:

Offline Wheat

« Reply #59: August 20, 2014, 08:29:21 AM »
Its still so far away until he comes back. I imagine when he's ready, it'll 1st be off the bench to PH a few times. Then maybe to give a OF a day off. Then I don't know. He might not be healthy enough for the rest of the year to be an everyday starter.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #60: August 20, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »
Span will stay, LaRoche won't.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #61: August 20, 2014, 08:38:16 AM »
Span will stay, LaRoche won't.

Agreed.  I think the Cabrera deal may have insured that...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #62: August 20, 2014, 09:23:07 AM »
Cabby's gone after this year.  They aren't going to spend the kind of money it'll take to keep him (multiple years, > $10MM AAV) when they have more important pieces to lock up. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #63: August 20, 2014, 09:47:05 AM »
Cabby's gone after this year.  They aren't going to spend the kind of money it'll take to keep him (multiple years, > $10MM AAV) when they have more important pieces to lock up. 
Then who plays second?  Not Espinosa; and Rendon is locked in at third.  So if we don't sign Cabrerra then we have to pick up a second baseman, so why not Cabrerra?

Offline rileyn

« Reply #64: August 20, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
Then who plays second?  Not Espinosa; and Rendon is locked in at third.  So if we don't sign Cabrerra then we have to pick up a second baseman, so why not Cabrerra?
The problem with Cabrera is that he has made it clear that he prefers SS.  Now, could that be a little early negotiating and could he be persuaded to change his mind by the off-season?  I would think so.  We just cannot go into next year with Espinosa as the everyday 2B. 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #65: August 20, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »

Cabrerra has said he doesn't want to be a 2nd baseman long term. If we keep Desmond, then it'll take a larger than expected salary to keep him.  Essentially, it would cost more to sign as a platooning 2nd base than an every day SS.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #66: August 20, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »
Cabrerra has said he doesn't want to be a 2nd baseman long term. If we keep Desmond, then it'll take a larger than expected salary to keep him.  Essentially, it would cost more to sign as a platooning 2nd base than an every day SS.
Move Cabrerra to short and Desmond to second, or trade Desmond for a second baseman.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #67: August 20, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »
The problem with Cabrera is that he has made it clear that he prefers SS.  Now, could that be a little early negotiating and could he be persuaded to change his mind by the off-season?  I would think so.  We just cannot go into next year with Espinosa as the everyday 2B. 
...unless he successfully makes the transition to hitting from the right side during the offseason. If he does that, why would you not want Espinosa at 2B? Don't be so quick to assume that he can't learn how to do that.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #68: August 20, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
Move Cabrerra to short and Desmond to second, or trade Desmond for a second baseman.

Does Cabrerra have the arm strength Desi does?  I'm not sure if he'd be as solid on the back end of a lot of double plays.  That said, after the contract Desmond turned down, it may be we'll have Cabrera at SS.   I go back and forth on Desi (the strikeouts and always swinging for the fences drive me nuts; the clubhouse leadership and clutchiness do not); there are definitely times I think of him as a bum and want him gone.  Usually those times are called 'April' or 'May.'  Other times I wouldn't let go of him for anyone.  Usually that would be the tail end of the season.  He's one of the few guys I don't expect to have a DL stint every year which is worth a lot.  What's Cabrerra's injury history like?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #69: August 20, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »

:smh:

Desmond is far more valuable than Cabrerra.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: August 20, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
I could see signing Cabrera if there is a chance we might not sign Desi, but I expect Cabrera to get better offers.  I don't want to spend time on this today, but you need to look at the $$ commitments for 2015 - 2017, the players who are up, and figure out how to budget it for probably around $130 - $140 MM.  I think they look to economize at 2d next year with either RZ back at 3d & Rendon at 2d or Rendon at 3d and some sort of mix and match at 2d (Espinosa, a random infielder, etc...). 

Offline More of #34

« Reply #71: August 20, 2014, 11:12:06 AM »
All of this will sort itself out.  Right now, minus Zimm, we are playing fantastic baseball.  I give Rizzo a lot of credit for coming up with Cabrera.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #72: August 20, 2014, 02:01:45 PM »
...unless he successfully makes the transition to hitting from the right side during the offseason. If he does that, why would you not want Espinosa at 2B? Don't be so quick to assume that he can't learn how to do that.
You can't be serious?  Have you blacked over the last 2 years?  What gives you a shred of confidence that Espinosa can make any positive adjustments at the plate?  We have seen this movie before and the quicker we get over the big tease the better.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73: August 20, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
You can't be serious?  Have you blacked over the last 2 years?  What gives you a shred of confidence that Espinosa can make any positive adjustments at the plate?  We have seen this movie before and the quicker we get over the big tease the better.
what evidence do you have that a guy hitting .292 / .364 / .494 over 99 PAs in 2014 and .268 / .340 / .461 over 493 PAs in his career as a righty batter cannot hit acceptably, even well, at least against lefty pitching?  That's why people have been after him to hit right handed full time.  I wish he'd start now, but if he wants to try it over the winter and in the spring, let him.  It's kind of on you to explain what is bad about that sort of hitting.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #74: August 20, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
Yeah let's bench our only .300 hitter.

Talking next year. Souza, Taylor, Harper, Werth, Laroche. Where does Span fit?