Author Topic: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 1  (Read 18199 times)

MrMadison

Re: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 1
« Reply #475: May 16, 2008, 10:21:34 PM »

Asked about losing to the O's, "It was just another loss."

Manny has gotten too accustomed to losing, and poor play.

yeah, I watched that. Milledge is going to have to learn on the job, and learn quick.

as for the Losing statement, there has to be something else behind this.

either that, or he is just saying that losing to the O's is no different from losing to anyone else. which I happen to agree with.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #476: May 16, 2008, 10:24:47 PM »
Why is everyone so in love w/ Langerhans all of a sudden? That dude is a terrible hitter against ML pitchers.
Obviously. That's the point. We could call up crappy ass Langerhans and Escobar and they could out-produce the garbage we are putting out there. No question about it.

Austin Kearns .192 3 HR 27 Ks (146 ABs)
Wily Mo Pena .200 0 HR 23 Ks (80 ABs)
Elijah Dukes .048 0 HR 8 Ks (21 ABs)

Dukes, Pena, and Kearns are batting a combined .186 (46/247) with 3 HRs and 58 Ks in 247 ABs.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #477: May 16, 2008, 10:26:20 PM »
Asked about losing to the O's, "It was just another loss."

Manny has gotten too accustomed to losing, and poor play.

He was just saying that losing to the O's isn't more heartbreaking than any other loss. And he's right. It shouldn't be.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #478: May 16, 2008, 10:28:17 PM »
He was just saying that losing to the O's isn't more heartbreaking than any other loss. And he's right. It shouldn't be.
I agree in that sense but the way that we lost makes it more than just another loss. We should have won this game by 4 runs.  You just can't afford to lose winnable games like this one if you ever want to make any ground. The O's starter was just terrible tonight and we let him off the hook. 

Had we won the game tonight we'd only be 5 games out of first place. Oh well, just another loss, right Manny?  :roll:

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #479: May 16, 2008, 10:28:48 PM »
How about we just outright cut Pena and Mack?  Bring up some youngsters and go from there. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #480: May 16, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »
Yeah, get the **** out of here with that Dukes crap. He looks like trash.

Dukes also misplayed Roberts' double into a triple.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #481: May 16, 2008, 10:36:09 PM »
I'm sure we'll be seeing Lo Duca soon.

Flores isn't doing enough apparently.  He's only hitting .393 with a .528 OBP.  :roll:

I don't think LoDuca will be back until late June or perhaps after the ASG.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #482: May 16, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »
Austin Kearns .192 3 HR 27 Ks (146 ABs)
Wily Mo Pena .200 0 HR 23 Ks (80 ABs)
Elijah Dukes .048 0 HR 8 Ks (21 ABs)

Dukes, Pena, and Kearns are batting a combined .186 (46/247) with 3 HRs and 58 Ks in 247 ABs.

Wily Mo Pena has fallen completely off the map, but I don't mind giving Dukes more time.  He has a Home Run Swing.  There are lots of sluggers who have low BAs but hit lots of HRs, and that's likely all to expect from Dukes. (e.g. Carlos Pena, Adam Dunn before 2008.)  I felt that way about Wily Mo Pena, and thought that the 2008 plan was to field 2 outfielders who could hit them out.  The slugger waits for the home run pitch and strikes out a LOT more doing so.  That's actually what Ray Knight said that Kearns should be doing last year, when he kept swinging at everything at his hands and hitting into DPs or groundouts.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #483: May 16, 2008, 10:44:45 PM »
I agree in that sense but the way that we lost makes it more than just another loss. We should have won this game by 4 runs.  You just can't afford to lose winnable games like this one if you ever want to make any ground. The O's starter was just terrible tonight and we let him off the hook.

You always say stuff like that. The "had we just done this, we could have won" works both ways, though. The O's could have done some things differently and won by even more, too. That's just the way the game goes. Rarely is there a game that goes by the book, as if you're just simulating it and what's supposed to happen happens. That would be boring as crap. Sure, our guys want to win and we want them to win, but there is another team playing, too. Close games are great because it means that there was a battle of some kind. That's the beauty of sports, IMO. When there is one team just dominating or getting dominated every game, there's something wrong there.

We didn't execute in all phases today, but it's a RARE occurrence when a team does.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #484: May 16, 2008, 10:50:24 PM »
You always say stuff like that. The "had we just done this, we could have won" works both ways, though. The O's could have done some things differently and won by even more, too. That's just the way the game goes. Rarely is there a game that goes by the book, as if you're just simulating it and what's supposed to happen happens. That would be boring as crap. Sure, our guys want to win and we want them to win, but there is another team playing, too. Close games are great because it means that there was a battle of some kind. That's the beauty of sports, IMO. When there is one team just dominating or getting dominated every game, there's something wrong there.

We didn't execute in all phases today, but it's a RARE occurrence when a team does.
All I know is that an AAA team would have scored 5+ runs off of Olson tonight with the way he was pitching.  Our pitching hasn't been great this year but it's been OK. You just can't expect to win 1-0 every single day. It's just too damn hard. 

Offline spidernat

« Reply #485: May 16, 2008, 10:55:48 PM »
When there is one team just dominating or getting dominated every game, there's something wrong there.

I don't mind it if it's my team doing the dominating.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #486: May 16, 2008, 10:55:57 PM »
All I know is that an AAA team would have scored 5+ runs off of Olson tonight with the way he was pitching.  Our pitching hasn't been great this year but it's been OK. You just can't expect to win 1-0 every single day. It's just too damn hard. 

Maybe a AAA team could've scored 10 runs against Hill tonight. We'll never know, so why question it? What happened happened. Yes, moves need to be made when someone consistently sucks for a long period of time, but how bad can we be if we only lost this game by 2? And we've done the same thing in most of our losses. Does that mean most of the league sucks, too, for only beating us by a few runs? We have a TEAM that can do enough to win some ball games. We're just lacking a few pieces to push us over the hump. This is something we knew already, though. I did at least.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #487: May 16, 2008, 10:58:56 PM »
I'm am amazed that we are only 7 games under .500 considering we have one of the worst offenses in recent memory, maybe ever.  It'll catch up to us eventually though, I'm afraid, unless they decide they want to start hitting.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #488: May 16, 2008, 11:06:35 PM »
I'm am amazed that we are only 7 games under .500 considering we have one of the worst offenses in recent memory, maybe ever.  It'll catch up to us eventually though, I'm afraid, unless they decide they want to start hitting.

It's pretty cool that we're only 7 games under w/ how crappy our offense has been, though.

I've said this before, but I really think our only HUGE need right now is a true #3 hitter. Having a momentum shifter does so much for a team. When he comes through, it makes the opposing pitcher look weak, it pumps up your team, and it puts runs on the board.

I like Ryan Zimmerman and all, but he is not a player to build a team around. He is the poster boy for "best supporting players."

Offline BangZoom

« Reply #489: May 16, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »
I think Zim is coming around.  Batting .310, 4 HR, 8 RBIs in his last 10 games.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #490: May 16, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »
It's pretty cool that we're only 7 games under w/ how crappy our offense has been, though.

I've said this before, but I really think our only HUGE need right now is a true #3 hitter. Having a momentum shifter does so much for a team. When he comes through, it makes the opposing pitcher look weak, it pumps up your team, and it puts runs on the board.

I like Ryan Zimmerman and all, but he is not a player to build a team around. He is the poster boy for "best supporting players."
Did you watch the game tonight? Zim went 3/5 with 2 RBIs tonight. He has been much better over the last few weeks. Zimmerman is the LEAST of our worries. 

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #491: May 16, 2008, 11:17:24 PM »
did a recap of the game-thread and i selected one shining statement to quote:

yeah because that one catch makes him the greatest outfield on earth right?
Mr. Madison responding to someone's suggestion that Harris should start.

that's another reason why he's the greatest outfielder on earth.  ;) :P

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #492: May 16, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
Did you watch the game tonight? Zim went 3/5 with 2 RBIs tonight. He has been much better over the last few weeks. Zimmerman is the LEAST of our worries. 

co-sign.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #493: May 16, 2008, 11:21:17 PM »

That's not what I was saying. It's not Zimmerman that I'm worried about, it's our team as a whole. You're comparing him to the rest of the lineup we have right now. Think about if we had an even better hitter (like a Pujols, Berkman, or even a Prince Fielder type) in the 3 spot. How nice would that be? It's what we need. Being a best supporting player isn't a bad thing if you have a great player that you are "supporting."

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #494: May 16, 2008, 11:31:14 PM »
That's not what I was saying. It's not Zimmerman that I'm worried about, it's our team as a whole. You're comparing him to the rest of the lineup we have right now. Think about if we had an even better hitter (like a Pujols, Berkman, or even a Prince Fielder type) in the 3 spot. How nice would that be? It's what we need. Being a best supporting player isn't a bad thing if you have a great player that you are "supporting."
How many teams have this type of player you speak of?  The Orioles sure don't but they keep winning.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #495: May 16, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »
How many teams have this type of player you speak of?  The Orioles sure don't but they keep winning.

They sure don't, but every team in our division does. I see Zimmerman, offensively, being a Burrell-type hitter in the long run. That's great for us, but we still need that guaranteed .300 AVG/high OBP guy w/ pop in our lineup. It doesn't have to be a FA, but it needs to come from somewhere.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #496: May 16, 2008, 11:49:56 PM »
They sure don't, but every team in our division does. I see Zimmerman, offensively, being a Burrell-type hitter in the long run. That's great for us, but we still need that guaranteed .300 AVG/high OBP guy w/ pop in our lineup. It doesn't have to be a FA, but it needs to come from somewhere.
That's an insult to Zimmerman. He is light years better than crappy old Burrell.  You are selling Zimmerman short just like you did with Flores not too long ago.  These guys are better than you think they are.  ;)

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #497: May 16, 2008, 11:56:02 PM »
That's an insult to Zimmerman. He is light years better than crappy old Burrell.  You are selling Zimmerman short just like you did with Flores not too long ago.  These guys are better than you think they are.  ;)

I guess it's a "we'll see" thing then. And, of course, I hope you're right. But don't sell Burrell short either. I'd be happy as hell if Zimmerman had some of those numbers. He needs to learn how to make the pitchers pitch to him first, though.

And btw, your being "right" about Flores is = to my being right about Soto. We're even there. :lol:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #498: May 17, 2008, 02:31:38 AM »

You are such an apologist.  Even with tonight's performance, Zimmerman's OBP is well under .300 for the year.  That is even WORSE than hitting below the Mendoza line.

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #499: May 17, 2008, 03:24:04 AM »
I would take Burell for Zimm straight up right now.