Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 105171 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #375: August 17, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »
All the way back into the mid-90s, there was a pack-like group of what were purported to be coyote/shepherd mix animals in an area of Rockville. More likely they were just feral dogs. They'd have to hybridized to behave like a pack - I think coyotes are solitary. I also understand that it's possible, but very unlikely - for dogs and coyotes to mix - different cycles.

We've definitely spotted coyotes in The Land of Sublime Living™, Gaithersburg, Maryland, but not for a couple of years.

Pretty awesome. However, our auxilliary, outdoor cat has survived for years unaccosted by anything other than a raccoon.

I'm sure people sometimes mistake wild dogs for coyotes, but I've yet to see a wild dog in our neighborhood (or a coyote, for that matter).  Coyotes are known to be moving east/north, and in increasing numbers as they take advantage of exurban development where hunting is restricted, resulting in a game increase.  Saw an article a year or two ago about how they were killing feral cats in large numbers in Virginia, which was having a correspondent beneficial impact on bird populations. 

I bet they are here in larger numbers than people realize.