Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97372 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #25: January 02, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »
All Five Guys purport to cook their meat well done and I've never met a 5G burger I didn't like, but I guess there will be places that over-do it.  Personally I like bugers in general more done, whereas real meat I prefer medium-rare...  more on the rare side if there is any question about how much pink/red

unless you are eating at a high-end restaurant that grinds their own meat, then your burger should be well done, but steaks are a different matter.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #26: January 02, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
A simple marinade - sprinkle seasoned pepper onto a small plate of soy sauce.  Put any piece of meat (beef, chicken, or pork) on the plate and marinade 5 minutes on each side.  Then grill or broil and the meat will have an extra zing of flavor.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: January 02, 2010, 11:09:13 AM »
unless you are eating at a high-end restaurant that grinds their own meat, then your burger should be well done, but steaks are a different matter.

Right.  Steaks can easily be washed clean of any impurities, which do not penetrate below the surface.  But if not rinsed before grinding the only way to neutralize is to fully cook the meat.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #28: January 02, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »
Right.  Steaks can easily be washed clean of any impurities, which do not penetrate below the surface.  But if not rinsed before grinding the only way to neutralize is to fully cook the meat.

It's really just a matter of taste for me, but I'm glad my tastes go along with what's generally safe :P

Offline blue911

« Reply #29: January 02, 2010, 11:58:40 AM »
Right.  Steaks can easily be washed clean of any impurities, which do not penetrate below the surface.  But if not rinsed before grinding the only way to neutralize is to fully cook the meat.

Salt. Mixing ground meat with salt is a time honored method for killing bacteria.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #30: January 03, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »
So, who has ever had quinoa and what is an easy way to prepare it for the first time?  I'm about to go grocery shopping and I plan to pick some up to try.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #31: January 04, 2010, 02:00:02 AM »
So, who has ever had quinoa and what is an easy way to prepare it for the first time?  I'm about to go grocery shopping and I plan to pick some up to try.

I've made variations of this recipe and been happy with the result. Granted, I throw in some Cajun spices.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Bean-and-Tomato-Quinoa-238939

Offline Nathan

« Reply #32: January 04, 2010, 02:04:29 AM »
Quinoa didn't happen.  The store had only one brand, and it was $8 for a small box :shock:

freak that, I'll stick with rice.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #33: January 04, 2010, 02:04:50 AM »
i have no clue how to cook it, but i was introduced to quinoa about 3 weeks ago.

my god, it is delicious.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #34: January 04, 2010, 02:05:30 AM »
i have no clue how to cook it, but i was introduced to quinoa about 3 weeks ago.

my god, it is delicious.
How much do you pay?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #35: January 04, 2010, 02:09:09 AM »
no clue. it was in the cafeteria at a place i was working, so i ate free.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #36: January 04, 2010, 02:12:07 AM »
storebought tofu. do i need to do anything special to it to prepare it for cooking?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #37: January 04, 2010, 02:24:11 AM »
storebought tofu. do i need to do anything special to it to prepare it for cooking?

Depends on what kind you have and how you will be preparing it, it looks like.

http://vegetariancuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/cooking_with_tofu_part_3_of_3

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #38: January 04, 2010, 02:27:17 AM »

Depends on which firmness you bought. Best to follow the steps in Nathan's link below. However, the longer you are able marinate or leave tofu to stew; the more flavor it will absorb and the better it will taste.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #39: January 04, 2010, 03:28:38 AM »
Quinoa didn't happen.  The store had only one brand, and it was $8 for a small box :shock:

If you don't wash it right, it tastes like soap.

It is like 100x healthier than rice, so my wife says.

JMad, I think you can eat tofu straight out of the package if you like, but stir fry is easy. My wife also freezes it and thaws it - totally changes the texture in a good way.

One reason I am still awake is that someone is making curry in a neighboring residence, and it's coming in through the heater intake. Lemon potatoes earlier tonight. I'm so hungry now.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #40: January 04, 2010, 03:34:44 AM »
If you don't wash it right, it tastes like soap.

It is like 100x healthier than rice, so my wife says.

JMad, I think you can eat tofu straight out of the package if you like, but stir fry is easy. My wife also freezes it and thaws it - totally changes the texture in a good way.

One reason I am still awake is that someone is making curry in a neighboring residence, and it's coming in through the heater intake. Lemon potatoes earlier tonight. I'm so hungry now.
Yeah, I read about the soapyness if not soaked.

I've only had tofu once, I think it was tofu anyway.  I tried "Genral Tso's Bean Curd" at one of the local Chinese places.  Delicious, the bean curd had the consistancy of slightly stiffer scrabled eggs in cube form :lol:  very good though.  I've steered away from trying it again after reading some claims of soy's effects on men.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #41: January 04, 2010, 03:46:47 AM »
Yeah, I read about the soapyness if not soaked.

I've only had tofu once, I think it was tofu anyway.  I tried "Genral Tso's Bean Curd" at one of the local Chinese places.  Delicious, the bean curd had the consistancy of slightly stiffer scrabled eggs in cube form :lol:  very good though.  I've steered away from trying it again after reading some claims of soy's effects on men.

We eat tofu all the time, and it didn't slow me down :lol:

I heard the same thing about keeping a hot laptop on your lap.

bean curd usually = tofu in my experience.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #42: January 04, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »
Honestly out of the bunch I think Tempeh and texturized vegetable protein (TVP) are the best. Granted there is a place for tofu and quinoa.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #43: January 04, 2010, 09:50:52 AM »
Quinoa didn't happen.  The store had only one brand, and it was $8 for a small box :shock:

There's really no comparison between rice and quinoa. You may pay more but your body gets much more. http://ezinearticles.com/?Battle-of-the-Grains---Brown-Rice-VS-Quinoa&id=1137968

I love quinoa and I feel fantastic after eating it. Sometimes I throw in a little juice with water when I boil it to add a little flavor (if I need to boil the quinoa in 2 cups water, I'll do 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup cranberry juice). I usually mix it with celery, crushed walnuts, craisins, thinly sliced carrots, etc.

Honestly you can throw just about anything in quinoa and it will taste good. I don't mind it being dry, but I've tried this recipe and it was very good. The recipe has you fold yogurt into the quinoa, which gives it a different spin.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #44: January 04, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »
yeah i want to stirfry the tofu. just wasnt sure if i needed any special preparation first.

and yes, bean curd is tofu.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #45: January 04, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »
what's quinoa?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #46: January 04, 2010, 06:20:04 PM »
ate rutabaga for the first time today. very surprisingly tasty.

you know, i never realized just how cheap canned beans and veggies are. holy cow.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #47: January 04, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »
you know, i never realized just how cheap canned beans and veggies are. holy cow.

If it weren't for canned green beans I'd probably never have vegetables in my cupboard.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #48: January 04, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »
ate rutabaga for the first time today. very surprisingly tasty.

gotta watch out for sodium and Bisphenol-A though. Everything in moderation . . .

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #49: January 04, 2010, 07:47:50 PM »
for anyone with an iPhone, try the epicurious app- it has recipes and everything you would expect from a cookbook app, but what really sets its apart (at least in my view) is that it will build you a shopping list based on recipes you choose