Author Topic: Patterson post-game quotes  (Read 2207 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Patterson post-game quotes
« Topic Start: August 05, 2005, 09:08:46 AM »
exerpted from the Post this morning:
....................................... .....................................
Afterward, Patterson said, "It's the first time in my career I've been happy." He was asked to elaborate.

"For the first time in my career, I feel comfortable in the clubhouse," he said. "I feel comfortable with the city. I feel comfortable with the fans. I love playing for Frank Robinson. He motivates me in so many ways because I have so much respect for him. . . . I feel like I'm in my element."

When he walked off the field .....Patterson looked to the crowd, raised his hat toward the fans along the third base line, then his glove toward those near first.

"I love the fans here," Patterson said. "I love them. They get behind me, and it pushes me to another level."
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I think back to the pre-opening day exhibition vs. the Mets at RFK.  The tall player moved along the rail in the bitter cold, signing autographs.  As he signed my son's hat, I just had to ask, "excuse me, but, who are you?"  Since the franchise relocation had been announced, I had read practically every written word on the Nationals, but did not know what the players looked like.  He answered "John Patterson", not a bit condescending towards my ignorance.  "Yeah, ok, you're going to get some starts, good luck with it" I replied.  The subtext was that this was an introduction for both of us.  Player, meet fan.  Fan, meet player.  

What a long, strange trip it's been.