Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2012)  (Read 43914 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #250: August 15, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »
Marshall Tucker rules!  At least with Tommy they did.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #251: August 15, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
worst drumming ever.

Also, why is he standing in different shapes of fire?

freak YOU THAT'S WHY!

Seriously, that song is awesome.  I love the male chorus in the background and of course Eric Adams has those golden pipes, but my favorite song off of that album is Call to Arms.

Also, Battle Hymns when they had all 3 drummers and all 3 guitarists was amazing.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #252: August 15, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »
Marshall Tucker rules!  At least with Tommy they did.

Personally, I like MTB the best of the 3.  But the Allmans were superior musicians and their dual guitars were amazing, and to me, superior to Skynyrd.  Not that Skynrd was bad, far from it.  But love those extended Allman Brothers jams.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #253: August 15, 2012, 09:08:57 PM »
Watching the French Chef on TV!  Hilarious!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #254: August 15, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »
freak YOU THAT'S WHY!

Seriously, that song is awesome.  I love the male chorus in the background and of course Eric Adams has those golden pipes, but my favorite song off of that album is Call to Arms.

Also, Battle Hymns when they had all 3 drummers and all 3 guitarists was amazing.

It's a great song but the drum part is so freaking terrible, admit it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #255: August 15, 2012, 09:11:35 PM »
It was funny with Marshall Tucker.  You automatically think of Toy Caldwell, Doug Gray, their flute / sax guy (Eubanks?), but when you saw them live, it was Tommy Caldwell who really was the leader of the band.  I used to love the musicianship.    I'm not sure if I saw them after Tommy's death.  I think I got their first few albums afterwards. 

Offline Nathan

« Reply #256: August 15, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »

It's a great song but the drum part is so freaking terrible, admit it.

I didn't deny that. 

Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.  Bum.  Tish.

:lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #257: August 15, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
The Allman Brothers Band stands the test of time better than the others, in my humble opinion.
Personally, I like MTB the best of the 3.  But the Allmans were superior musicians and their dual guitars were amazing, and to me, superior to Skynyrd.  Not that Skynrd was bad, far from it.  But love those extended Allman Brothers jams.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #258: August 15, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
BTW, PA, here's what I found on the symbols thing:

Ed: On the various album covers, there�s four symbols, a circle, square, triangle and two sticks. How did that come about?
Karl: Those are the playstation symbols
Ed: Uh�really?
Karl: (Laughs) No! No, no they�re just runic symbols, basically things that Joey just discovered through reading and studying the Viking cultures, they�re Celtic or Viking or something, some kind of runic symbols. I�m not actually sure what they mean
Ed: So you don�t really know why they were chosen or used?
Karl: No, well, I guess it�s just that bands have symbols and they have trademarks, just something that people know when they see our motorcycles with them, it�s something personal to each member of the band

http://www.truemetal.org/hailandkill/html/interview/intview48.htm

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #259: August 15, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
The Allman Brothers Band stands the test of time better than the others, in my humble opinion.

Allman Brothers are better, but I'd rather listen to MTB, if that makes any sense.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #260: August 15, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »
Allman Brothers are better, but I'd rather listen to MTB, if that makes any sense.

feel the same way

24 hours at a time

;)

Duane Allman ends the debate right there in terms of musicianship. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #261: August 15, 2012, 09:53:04 PM »
feel the same way

24 hours at a time

;)

Duane Allman ends the debate right there in terms of musicianship.

I would have to add that Dickey Betts did not suck.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #263: August 15, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »

Duane Allman was just purely one of the best.  But I wouldn't place Dickey Betts on guitar or Berry Oakley on bass ahead of Gary Rossington, Allen Collins (both guitar) and Leon Wilkeson (bass).  He's definitely not in the same class as Steve Gaines, who in all intense purposes - was in the same class as Duane Allman.  Tommy Caldwell and company were good, but not nearly as good as Skynyrd or the Allman Brothers

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #264: August 16, 2012, 12:04:23 AM »

Allman Brothers were great, no doubt, but I think the death of Duane Allman (which by the way, Ronnie focused the words in "Free Bird" around) really hindered the band.  I think Gregg Allman did a great job carrying on the band, but I'm not hugely sold on Betts.  If you can think that they had "Whipping Post," "Dreams," "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" (which Dickey Betts wrote), "Midnight Rider" (a Gregg Allman penned tune).

Now "Little Martha," "Melissa," "Ain't Wasting Time No More," "Win, Lose or Draw," "Ramblin' Man," were all gems (my personal favorite Allman Brothers tune is "Seven Tunes")

But could you imagine what they'd be like WITH Duane still in the group?  I'm not sure you can compare the Allman Brothers to Lynyrd Skynyrd to the Marshall Tucker Band anyway.  The Allman Brothers (who before were known as the Allman Joys), were HUGE into blues music.  They loved the feeling of soul and blues music and it reflected in their style.  The Marshall Tucker Band were much more into country style music.  Lynyrd Skynyrd was more a hard rock/heavy metal mixed with a tad country and at times blues.  It's still quite sad to see major pieces in music lose their lives too early.  Hank Williams Sr., Duane Allman, Elvis, Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Toy Caldwell, John Lennon...  I mean they say everything happens for a reason in life...I'm lost on that reason.  Granted, with Skynyrd, Ronnie wanted to branch off and become a country artist and manage the band while his youngest brother, Johnny eventually took over.  Johnny did, however, we lost an absolute legend...and to me, the single most greatest lyricist and vocalist in music.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #265: August 16, 2012, 12:04:42 AM »
Are anyone in here, fans of Sonata Arctica?

Offline blue911

« Reply #266: August 16, 2012, 12:24:03 AM »
I would have to add that Dickey Betts did not suck.

Butch Trucks uncle threw two no-hitters.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #267: August 16, 2012, 08:37:48 AM »
  Hank Williams Sr., Duane Allman, Elvis, Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Toy Caldwell, John Lennon... 

While in the genre, don't forget Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #268: August 16, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »

SRV is one of my alltime favorites...

I'll take Skynyrd any day, every day over The Allmans or MTB, but all three are excellent bands. I'm not a big fan of the "jam band" thing, so I guess that might clarify a little. Duane Allman is amazing on Layla fwiw...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #269: August 16, 2012, 08:41:08 AM »
Makes sense to me. The Allman Brothers are a little challenging. If I'm listening to American classical music, I prefer Aaron Copeland to Philip Glass. But I suspect Philip Glass is a better composer.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #270: August 16, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »

Guitar wise, SRV was/is a great.   But vocally and musically is what I was pointing at. 

Steve Gaines - "Take My Time"

"Nothin' is New"

"Alone in the Multitude"

"Don't Want to Lose"

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #271: August 16, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Free Bird" (The Movie)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #272: August 16, 2012, 09:38:20 AM »
I'd put southern rock in the same quaint ethnic category as mariachi or polka.

Offline blue911

« Reply #273: August 16, 2012, 09:39:34 AM »

Talk bad about polka and I'll kick your ass.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #274: August 16, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »

Talk bad about polka and I'll kick your ass.

:spit: