Author Topic: The Matt Williams Effect  (Read 30443 times)

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Re: The Matt Williams Effect
« Reply #25: April 18, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »
Roberto Duran > Ian Desmond

Manos de piedra

Duran Duran > Ian Desmond.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #26: April 18, 2014, 09:18:49 AM »
Duran Duran > Ian Desmond.

Ian Desmond is becoming "notorius" for his defensive errors. His play has been lackluster at best and he is not "Hungry like the wolf" Maybe he needs a good long vacation in "RIO" to rejuvenate himself and keep his stats from "falling down"

Ok thats as many Duran Duran song titles as I can cram into this meaningless sentence. Sorry.. I'm a product of the 80's.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #27: April 18, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »

Ian Desmond is becoming "notorius" for his defensive errors. His play has been lackluster at best and he is not "Hungry like the wolf" Maybe he needs a good long vacation in "RIO" to rejuvenate himself and keep his stats from "falling down"

Ok thats as many Duran Duran song titles as I can cram into this meaningless sentence. Sorry.. I'm a product of the 80's.

He needs better "Reflex"es    ;)

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #28: April 18, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »
How soon until Ian Desmond turns into this year's whipping boy and we are all calling for Espi at short?  At least Espinosa's fielding didn't suck when he couldn't hit.  2-3 years ago, I think everyone would have projected Espinosa to be the better player both defensively and offensively.  Even if Desmond cleans up the errors, I still think Espinosa is the better defender.  I think he's one of the best middle infielders in the game.

Desmond's plate approach has always seemed suspect, but I think we all gave him the benefit of the doubt when it was working.  Maybe he's just having an early season slump and Espinosa will return to below .200, but I think it is interesting to see how this plays out.  Maybe Espinosa becomes the long term solution at short.  And much better to figure this out now than if we had Desmond locked up for years.

Oh sorry, forgot to add we don't need any more Wild Boys throwing form the left side of the diamond.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #29: April 18, 2014, 09:54:25 AM »
Ok get this back on track-so far Matt Williams stinks  :evil:

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #30: April 18, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
He needs better "Reflex"es    ;)

good one

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #31: April 18, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
How soon until Ian Desmond turns into this year's whipping boy and we are all calling for Espi at short?

No.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #32: April 18, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
There is something about Matt Williams demeanor that irritates me. He has this almost error of arrogance and when you are kicking everyones ass I suppose you can carry that off. But when your team gets a beat down it makes you look quite silly. In spring training I was very excited about him, all of the talk about aggressive base running, blah blah.. The base running is atrocious , the offense and starting pitching have been too erratic to gain any sort of lasting momentum. But arent these the same complaints everyone had last year with Davey at the helm. The one positive about him though , so far as I can tell is that he will keep guys on a shorter rope and if they dont perform he seems more likely to bench them. I will reserve my right to retract that last statement when I see todays line up. Desmond needs to sit for at least 1 game and regroup.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #33: April 18, 2014, 10:08:53 AM »
Espi hasn't exactly been turning in webgems this year. He's made a couple of errors himself, on what looked like absolutely routine plays.

Desi will get better as the temperature warms up. By June he'll be bare-handing things on the grass and making incredible throws to first.

How soon until Ian Desmond turns into this year's whipping boy and we are all calling for Espi at short?  At least Espinosa's fielding didn't suck when he couldn't hit.  2-3 years ago, I think everyone would have projected Espinosa to be the better player both defensively and offensively.  Even if Desmond cleans up the errors, I still think Espinosa is the better defender.  I think he's one of the best middle infielders in the game.

Desmond's plate approach has always seemed suspect, but I think we all gave him the benefit of the doubt when it was working.  Maybe he's just having an early season slump and Espinosa will return to below .200, but I think it is interesting to see how this plays out.  Maybe Espinosa becomes the long term solution at short.  And much better to figure this out now than if we had Desmond locked up for years.

Oh sorry, forgot to add we don't need any more Wild Boys throwing form the left side of the diamond.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #34: April 18, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
Desmond's wife is expecting - he played this poorly last time she was expecting. I suspect he's distracted.

Hopefully he can get it together soon. Team needs him to be focused and on his game to be successful.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #35: April 18, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »
Desmond's wife is expecting - he played this poorly last time she was expecting. I suspect he's distracted.

I suspected as much, between trying to quit demon tobacco and an expectant wife....when is she due?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #36: April 18, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
I suspected as much, between trying to quit demon tobacco and an expectant wife....when is she due?

Yeah, I don't know - his wife tweeted a pic of the sonogram - baby looked pretty far along so hopefully soon

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #37: April 18, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »

I can't say I've ever heard a Duran Duran song.      :shrug:

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: April 18, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »
Judging by the way he played in 2010 + 2011, Desmond must be married to an elephant.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #39: April 18, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »
Judging by the way he played in 2010 + 2011, Desmond must be married to an elephant.

:spit: :lmao:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #40: April 18, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
He has this almost error of arrogance

"Aura"?   Anyway, I watched him play in the 90s, with the Giants, and he was terrific. It was several years until the first time I heard him interviewed, and I was shocked by his arrogance, so I get what you  mean, but until I heard him, I had formed a completely different impression .   The arrogance is something that I haven't seen yet from him with Washington, but that's because I haven't seen much of him. I don't much listen to post game interviews, they bore the hell out of me.  But I know that arrogance is there.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #41: April 18, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »

:hysterical:

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #42: April 18, 2014, 11:02:06 AM »
"Aura"?   Anyway, I watched him play in the 90s, with the Giants, and he was terrific. It was several years until the first time I heard him interviewed, and I was shocked by his arrogance, so I get what you  mean, but until I heard him, I had formed a completely different impression .   The arrogance is something that I haven't seen yet from him with Washington, but that's because I haven't seen much of him. I don't much listen to post game interviews, they bore the hell out of me.  But I know that arrogance is there.

yeah "aura" thanks... damn autocorrect. best not to post from my phone i guess.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #43: April 19, 2014, 04:29:39 AM »
I really have to question Williams letting McLouth bat in the 7th when he had Frandsen , Moore , Souza and Walters on the bench. Yes , we would have given up some defense for two innings but McLouth is batting .080.

Too his credit he did pull Clip at the right time.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #44: April 19, 2014, 07:46:48 AM »
Yeah, I don't know - his wife tweeted a pic of the sonogram - baby looked pretty far along so hopefully soon

So...girls on film?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #45: April 19, 2014, 07:58:15 AM »
Espi hasn't exactly been turning in webgems this year. He's made a couple of errors himself, on what looked like absolutely routine plays.

Desi will get better as the temperature warms up. By June he'll be bare-handing things on the grass and making incredible throws to first.

Hopefully he can get it together soon. Team needs him to be focused and on his game to be successful.

stupid excuses don't fly for Strasburg, so why do they magically work for Desmond?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #46: April 19, 2014, 08:34:22 AM »
stupid excuses don't fly for Strasburg, so why do they magically work for Desmond?

Stras gets 4 days out of every 5 to exorcise his demons...

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #47: April 19, 2014, 12:30:31 PM »
How soon until Ian Desmond turns into this year's whipping boy and we are all calling for Espi at short? 

Desi did a nice job turning the DP last night for the win.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #48: April 19, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
Matt Williams is in over his head and stinks at his job :evil:

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #49: April 19, 2014, 04:12:34 PM »
so who wants to have the honor of starting the Fire Matt Williams thread?

In all seriousness tho, Bryce has hurt himself previously running hard on balls that had no chance of ever being hits.  Regardless of whether running out ground balls is important or not, if Williams can't get a simple message like 'run out grounds balls' without extreme measures like benching Harper in an important game, I question what 'managerial skills' Williams has.