Author Topic: 2007 Washington Capitals Season Thread  (Read 60379 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: 2007 Washington Capitals Season Thread
« Reply #125: November 10, 2007, 09:32:37 PM »
The Caps come off one of their best wins of the year and play quite possibly one of their worst games of the year.  They were lifeless the entire game, no energy at all.  6-10-1  :evil:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #126: November 11, 2007, 12:03:14 AM »
The Caps come off one of their best wins of the year and play quite possibly one of their worst games of the year.  They were lifeless the entire game, no energy at all.  6-10-1  :evil:

didnt see it but the evidence supports this. f.

nospinzone1

« Reply #127: November 11, 2007, 12:10:28 AM »
KEEP REPEATING MYSELF. I BELIEVE A COACHING CHANGE WOULD HELP ALTHOUGH I AM NOT BLAMING THE COACH, THEY JUST DONT SEEM TO BE RESPONDING TO HIM.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #128: November 11, 2007, 12:26:19 AM »
I suspect you are right, Nospin, Hanlon is probably toast.  Which is a shame, because he is widely regarded to be one of the best "players' coaches" in the NHL, but things are obviously amiss with the Caps.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #129: November 11, 2007, 05:41:58 AM »
I have a few hockey related questions:

1. Why is a high PIM looked at as a good thing?

2. Why do refs sometimes replace players on face-offs?

3. What stats are looked at to determine a good Defenseman?

That is all for now :)

Still learnin'

Offline Dave B

« Reply #130: November 11, 2007, 09:26:28 AM »
I have a few hockey related questions:

1. Why is a high PIM looked at as a good thing?

2. Why do refs sometimes replace players on face-offs?

3. What stats are looked at to determine a good Defenseman?

That is all for now :)

Still learnin'

1) it is not, unless you are a fighter

2) for kinda like a false start. although sometimes they dont get thrown out, just talked to. so i dont know the specifics

3) looking at minutes will tell you where he ranks on his team in terms of ability. better ones play more. besides that, plus-minus is pretty good (on the ice for more goals than you let up at even strength)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #131: November 15, 2007, 11:47:06 PM »
It just keeps getting worse and worse as the Caps score 1 measly goal in an embarrassing loss to the lowly Panthers.  The Caps are tied for the worst record in the entire league.  :icon_frown:

Last in the standings:
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/standings

Last in Sportsline's Power Rankings:
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10468804

• babble on
« Reply #132: November 16, 2007, 12:40:56 AM »
They are so much less than the sum of their parts, it's as difficult to understand as the MoolahCaps of yesteryear (Jagr, Lang, Carter, Grier, Bonzai, etc etc)

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #133: November 16, 2007, 09:24:14 AM »
It just keeps getting worse and worse as the Caps score 1 measly goal in an embarrassing loss to the lowly Panthers.  The Caps are tied for the worst record in the entire league.  :icon_frown:

Last in the standings:
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/standings

Last in Sportsline's Power Rankings:
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10468804

And yet, I'm sure Ted and McPhee are both playing te fiddle while Rome burns.

I think they should clean house, but there's real question as to whether Ted has the chutzpah to make a change at the GM level.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #134: November 16, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Hindsight is 20/20, most people were all for the Caps offseason moves.  Could he have gone farther? Who knows, I'm sure Ted gave him a budget.  There is only so much the GM can do. Guys have been injured and crap happens. 

What does a coach change do?  I know it happens, but its not like the Caps are getting beat handily. I dont know how coachable hockey is. There are basics, but its not like there are complex schemes and plays.

They arent playing miserably. They are just losing.  I dont think cleaning house is going to do anything. We just have to sit hope they start winning SOON.  I really wanted to throw my remote against the bricks last night

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #135: November 16, 2007, 11:14:37 PM »
Hindsight is 20/20, most people were all for the Caps offseason moves.  Could he have gone farther? Who knows, I'm sure Ted gave him a budget.  There is only so much the GM can do. Guys have been injured and crap happens. 

What does a coach change do?  I know it happens, but its not like the Caps are getting beat handily. I dont know how coachable hockey is. There are basics, but its not like there are complex schemes and plays.

They arent playing miserably. They are just losing.  I dont think cleaning house is going to do anything. We just have to sit hope they start winning SOON.  I really wanted to throw my remote against the bricks last night
They aren't playing miserably?? If this isn't miserable I don't know what is.  The Caps played like absolute **** once again.  I don't know if a coaching change will do anything but something has to be done NOW!!  This is unacceptable.  How this team is much worse than last year's team is absolutely mind boggling. 
'06-'07 Caps + Kozlov + Nylander + Poti + Backstrom = Worst team in the NHL

Offline Dave B

« Reply #136: November 17, 2007, 01:00:18 AM »
Its not worse than last year. Last year this team somehow won games. This year we somehow lose them.  I dont know wtf happened during the last three minutes of the second period, but I go freakin watch Man vs Wild and come back for the third to find out the Lightning scored two goals.  Its like we pay for every mental lapse and mistake and cant seem to cash in on any. Kozlov missed a wide open net. That doesnt mean he sucks or is a bad signing. Its just endless crap like that almost every game. This sucks

• babble on
« Reply #137: November 17, 2007, 01:17:17 PM »
That game was painful, and I have never hated being in the SE Division more than I do right now.  On a lighter note, Buffalo and the Pens suck too, so I can at least savour that pitiful little bit of satisfaction.

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #138: November 19, 2007, 04:02:36 PM »
Caps trade Brian Sutherby to the Ducks for a second-rounder in 2009:

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=343804

Best of luck to Suts in Anaheim.  I'm sure he's more than happy to head to a franchise that knows how to build a team with a GM who has a clue and a coach who knows how to coach (and who the Caps once had as an assistant).  Oh, but I'm sure I'll hear from McPhee how the 2009 draft is supposed to be sooooooo deep.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #139: November 19, 2007, 09:28:54 PM »
Losing to Florida twice in one week is awfulllllllll... Don't let the 4-3 score deceive you, the Caps got 2 meaningless goals in the 3rd when it was too late.  How much farther can they fall??

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #140: November 19, 2007, 09:46:49 PM »
Definitely nice to see Semin get his first goal, though.

How would everyone else rate Kolzig and Johnson's seasons so far? Neither is very good, IMO...at least not compared to others I've seen so far.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #141: November 19, 2007, 10:00:54 PM »
Losing to Florida twice in one week is awfulllllllll... Don't let the 4-3 score deceive you, the Caps got 2 meaningless goals in the 3rd when it was too late.  How much farther can they fall??

those werent meaningless. it made it a one goal game with 6 minutes left.

there were a couple of "fire hanlon" chants going.  when it was 4-1, i was seething and all for it.  but i dont know how any of this is really his fault.  i only got to the game for the second half of it. the third goal was crap. the fourth goal, wasnt really a softie. maybe just a really good shot. i was suprised to see olie get beat on it though.

the number of pucks that just slip off guys sticks on potential 2-1's and other scoring opportunities is unreal.

this team is playing so much better than last year. rarely are they thoroughly beaten.  i;d rather them completely suck.

i've got 30 freakin more games to go to. i would hope theyd at least stay alive until feb. freak. this could be over before it starts

Offline Dave B

« Reply #142: November 19, 2007, 10:02:29 PM »
Caps trade Brian Sutherby to the Ducks for a second-rounder in 2009:

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=343804

Best of luck to Suts in Anaheim.  I'm sure he's more than happy to head to a franchise that knows how to build a team with a GM who has a clue and a coach who knows how to coach (and who the Caps once had as an assistant).  Oh, but I'm sure I'll hear from McPhee how the 2009 draft is supposed to be sooooooo deep.

sounds like a steal for the caps. a 2nd rounder for a guy who cant crack the lineup.  maybe anaheim feels sorry for us

Offline Dave B

« Reply #143: November 19, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
actually, freak it. fire hanlon.

i wonder if hanlon gave the speech "if you guys dont start winning, theyre going to bring someone in here who will run (skate) you into the ground"

• babble on
« Reply #144: November 19, 2007, 10:39:45 PM »
The surprising thing to me is that a "player's coach" isn't working with a team that is relatively free of ego.  What a trainwreck.

Well, I'm going next Saturday for a foray into Verizon Center by DC United fans (a lot of the regulars hate us, but you gotta admit, it livens the place a little, and at least gives the gold coast down in 106 something to nag about other than the team).  I'll probably go this Wednesday too, depending on what I can scare up. 

Much as I really like Hanlon, I think he's as good as gone, ditto McPhee, which sucks, but it's pretty inevitable at this point.  When you sign ten large in FAs and your season is flushed before Thanksgiving, heads have to roll... 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #145: November 20, 2007, 12:05:56 AM »
Definitely nice to see Semin get his first goal, though.

How would everyone else rate Kolzig and Johnson's seasons so far? Neither is very good, IMO...at least not compared to others I've seen so far.
They are mediocre at best and certainly do the team no favors at all but there are so many more issues on this team that are much more at fault for this embarrassing season.

btw, check out this video of an interview with Kolzig after the loss.. This team's morale is at an all time low. http://capitals.nhl.tv/team/launch.htm?type=fvod&id=7255&catid=418

Offline DCPSR

• DC Pro Sports Report
« Reply #146: November 20, 2007, 10:05:06 AM »
Our growing indictment of George McPhee and Greg Hanlon

http://dcprosportsreport.com/?p=552

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #147: November 20, 2007, 10:27:44 AM »
Our growing indictment of George McPhee and Greg Hanlon

http://dcprosportsreport.com/?p=552

Greg Hanlon?

Anyway, from what I've read, Ted was pretty upset and angry last night.  I don't think he doesn't care or isn't committed to the Caps.  I do think he's been pretty gunshy since getting burned with the Jagr contract extension.  I also think he values loyalty, but sooner or later he's got to stop the bleeding.

Whille I don't want him to make a rash change, McPhee has been here longer than any average GM in the NHL or other leagure for that matter with very little to show for it.  If this were Toronto or Detroit or Montreal, he would not get this much time.  But since everything is all Redskins all the time in the media, I can see why there's no need for urgency on the part of the organization (not saying that's right).

Offline DCPSR

• DC Pro Sports Report
« Reply #148: November 20, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »
McPhee and Hanlon are tied at the hip by circumstance.  I don't know how you get rid of one and not the other.  Sure Ted cares.  Ted wants the Verizon Center and the Wizards, so he has to care a bit.  In essence though, witht he money Leonsis was talked into this season, he should demand some accountability.  3-165 since the 3-0 start, that is down right pathetic.  Fact for me is this ... every single night we have different line formations.  How can that lead to stability and chemistry?  The power plays look like a friggin mess and are disorganized, that is coaching.  Both McPhee and Hanlon need to go, it is easier form a management and organizational stand point to do a Coach mid-season than a GM. 

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #149: November 20, 2007, 07:12:21 PM »
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=223319&hubname=nhl

After hot start, Capitals in free fall

The Canadian Press
11/20/2007 5:39:01 PM
ARLINGTON, Va. - During the off-season, the pre-season and the early part of the regular season, the Washington Capitals were quite convinced they were ready to return to the post-season.
From owner Ted Leonsis to coach Glen Hanlon to star forward Alex Ovechkin and other players, the consensus was that enough talent was brought in for improvement. A 3-0 start only fueled the optimism.
And now? Not only is the current edition of the Capitals not any better than the club that finished 27th out of 30 teams the past two seasons - it's worse.
At 6-13-1 as of Tuesday, Washington has the fewest points (13) in the NHL. All of that talk about the playoffs is being drowned out by the boos and choruses of "Fire Hanlon!" that reverberated through the stands in the Capitals' latest loss, a 4-3 setback at home against the Florida Panthers on Monday night.
"Going into this season, with the guys we added, we had high expectations here. And to be seven games under .500 after starting 3-0 is a huge disappointment. Huge," goalie Olie Kolzig said after practice Tuesday.
"The last two years, you knew what we had as a team, and it was, 'Go out, work hard and see what happens. Things are going to get better. The grass is going to get a little greener.' And the grass has gotten greener," Kolzig said, then laughed a bit before continuing. "But it hasn't turned into wins."
Not lately.
Washington has lost four consecutive games, eight of its past nine, and 14 of its past 17.
Leonsis declined an interview request Tuesday, but he did post a message on his blog: "I can't sleep. I was up at 4:30 a.m. this morning. I am in pain. I am angry. I want desperately for us to turn it around and win some games, as does everyone in our organization. I am not oblivious to what is happening. .. I am a fan as well."
If the Capitals lose in regulation Wednesday night, when they host the Atlanta Thrashers, they will be stuck with the franchise's lowest point total through 21 games since the 1981-82 season.
"We have to realize how desperate we are right now," forward Brooks Laich said. "We have to play every game like it's our last."
There are plenty of reasons for the poor record, but the most glaring issue has been scoring. Ovechkin entered Tuesday sixth in the league with 13 goals, and he isn't getting much help.
The Capitals are averaging 2.3 goals, ranking 28th in the NHL. They keep falling behind and failing to recover, going 1-10-1 when opponents score first.
Hanlon also acknowledged Tuesday that his team has been making some basic mistakes lately, the kinds of errors that can make a difference in a tight game.
"There was a certain point where we could say, 'Poor us. We're playing well and we're doing all these things right, and we're just not scoring.' But the last couple of games, that's not the case," Hanlon said.
"We've done some things that don't allow us to win hockey games. That's not other teams beating us, that's us beating ourselves."
He was particularly dismayed by the play in the first two periods against Florida, saying it was the only time since becoming Washington's coach in December 2003 that he's seen his players tight.
"You cannot play tentative and worried about results," Hanlon said. "You can't do it."
During practice, the Capitals worked on drills to focus on two particular areas of concern: turnovers and players taking too long shifts. Hanlon also continued a season-long trend of shaking up his forward lines, trying to hit upon just the right mix.
Monday's game was only the third time all season he had his top six forwards all available; with wings Chris Clark and Alexander Semin now back from lengthy injury absences, Hanlon has everyone in the fold.
"We need to win a hockey game here and feel better about ourselves," general manager George McPhee said before Monday's game. "We'd all like to see what it looks like intact for the first time."
As for the anti-Hanlon sentiment expressed by some in the stands Monday, both Kolzig and Clark said they don't think coaching is the problem.
Asked about those jeers, Hanlon said: "The coaches are strong and players are strong and management is strong, and we've got ourselves in this position and we'll battle it out together. .. We believe in what we're doing, we believe we're going to be successful. We won't waver in that."