Author Topic: Wang Goes on rehab assignment  (Read 20004 times)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Re: Wang Goes on rehab assignment
« Reply #450: July 29, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
Yes, but fan angst was assuaged.

The value of that cannot be overestimated.

This is true.  It was oddly cathartic to see Stairs finally DFA'd even though I knew it would affect the team pretty much not at all.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #451: July 29, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
so did wang do enough to earn himself another start?
He'll get to the end of the year.  Just prepare yourself for it now.

I'm expecting nothing great but I do believe he will only get better if he keeps his sinker down.

Offline NatsSince05

« Reply #452: July 29, 2011, 08:25:41 PM »
He'll get to the end of the year.  Just prepare yourself for it now.
That's embarrassing.  He's obviously not ready to be pitching in the majors again yet.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #453: July 29, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
So how is this not S37?

It's funny. It's the exact same message without mentioning Rizzo by name.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #454: July 29, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
That's embarrassing.  He's obviously not ready to be pitching in the majors again yet.
Why is it embarrassing?  It's not like we're putting him in there to push us to the pennant.  We can afford to let him shake off a little rust and see if he's worth bringing back next year.

Offline NatsSince05

« Reply #455: July 29, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
Why is it embarrassing?
It is embarrassing that a pitcher who is clearly not ready to be pitching in the big leagues again is being run out there just so we can avoid being forced to DFA him.  Just release the guy and move on, it was a bad signing. 

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #456: July 29, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »
It is embarrassing that a pitcher who is clearly not ready to be pitching in the big leagues again is being run out there just so we can avoid being forced to DFA him.  Just release the guy and move on, it was a bad signing. 

Just because he's not ready tonight doesn't mean he's not a start or two away.

We're a last place team and we are not going to catch the wild card no matter what we do. Taking a chance on someone like Wang is a fine move.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #457: July 29, 2011, 08:31:02 PM »
It's funny. It's the exact same message without mentioning Rizzo by name.

It's the exact same verbiage.  Same tone.  Same style of writing.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #458: July 29, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »

Yup.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #459: July 29, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
So, Wang was pulled in the 4th inning.

Gave up 4 ER in 4IP. One walk and two strike outs. Threw 60 pitches (39 for strikes)

Overall, it was what we expected. He struggled the first inning. But then he settled down and got five in a row. Gave up a bloop hit to David Wright and then retired the next batter. After that he had some struggles and the Nationals defense didn't help him. A ball that could have been a double play was muffed by the normally sure handed Espinosa.

Overall, Wang was about what I expected. The first inning was rough. Like most sinkerball pitchers in the first inning, he came out strong and wild. He settled down and showed some of the bite and flash that made him a 19 game winner.

He did enough to get another start. Frankly, I see no reason for him to not finish the season as a starter. As long as he stays healthy, he's going to improve the more he pitches.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #460: July 29, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »
But what if he gets better every start the rest of the way?  You've let a guy who's actually a top of the rotation go for nothing.  You get nothing in return.  Let him show what he's got.  If BY THE END OF THE YEAR, he shows he's back or close to it, then bingo, you've got a top of the rotation guy.  If not, you part ways and wish him luck.  There's nothing lost by giving him a 2 month try out.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #461: July 29, 2011, 08:32:11 PM »

Same poster . . .

Offline Slateman

« Reply #462: July 29, 2011, 08:32:57 PM »
Wang, I know you're not online here, but this poster is proud of you for coming out and battling the injuries, the heat and the doubters. Keep on working hard!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #463: July 29, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »
He should just type "Rizzo Sucks!" on all his posts and save himself the carpal tunnel

Offline NatsSince05

« Reply #464: July 29, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
We're a last place team and we are not going to catch the wild card no matter what we do. Taking a chance on someone like Wang is a fine move.
I respectfully disagree.  I think we have a responsibility to put the guys out there who give us the best chance to win.

And yes, we are in last place -- in the best division in baseball.  We're not the Mariners. 

Lastly, did Wang do anything tonight to make you think he is one or two starts away?  He gave up 6 runs and 8 hits in 4 innings.  It was a disastrous outing.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #465: July 29, 2011, 08:33:55 PM »
\
Lastly, did Wang do anything tonight to make you think he is one or two starts away?

Yep.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #466: July 29, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
I respectfully disagree.  I think we have a responsibility to put the guys out there who give us the best chance to win.

And yes, we are in last place -- in the best division in baseball.  We're not the Mariners. 

Lastly, did Wang do anything tonight to make you think he is one or two starts away?  He gave up 6 runs and 8 hits in 4 innings.  It was a disastrous outing.
Four runs. He gave up four runs. The defense gave up the other two with crappy glove work.

And if you take away the first inning, he gave up nothing. So yes, he's one or two starts away from being just as good as anyone else in the rotation not named Jordan Zimmermann

Offline NatsSince05

« Reply #467: July 29, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
So yes, he's one or two starts away from being just as good as anyone else in the rotation not named Jordan Zimmermann
Please let me know which of our starting pitchers have an ERA of 9.00 or above.  Wang was terrible, giving up 8 hits, taking us out of this game early.  There's no way to spin this, man, it was a mess.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #468: July 29, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »
Please let me know which of our starting pitchers have an ERA of 9.00 or above.  Wang was terrible, giving up 8 hits, taking us out of this game early.  There's no way to spin this, man, it was a mess.
In their last 4 -6 innings of work:
Livan Hernandez: 4 ER in 4 innings
Tom Gorzelanny: 7 ER in 5 innings
Jordan Zimmermann: 5 ER in 5 innings

Basically, Wang is pretty much on par with the rest of the rotation

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #469: July 29, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
Sigh this board is becoming unreadable

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #470: July 29, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
Please let me know which of our starting pitchers have an ERA of 9.00 or above.  Wang was terrible, giving up 8 hits, taking us out of this game early.  There's no way to spin this, man, it was a mess.
How's Carl Pavano doing?  He got off to a bit of a rocky start.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #471: July 29, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
I can't stand NyanburgNyannyNyan as much as anyone, but are any of these pitchers y'all are comparing Wang to coming off of shoulder surgery?  Bum shoulders = pitching DEATH.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #472: July 29, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
So how is this not S37?
W
Someone needs to check the IP addresses.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #473: July 29, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
I can't stand NyanburgNyannyNyan as much as anyone, but are any of these pitchers y'all are comparing Wang to coming off of shoulder surgery?  Bum shoulders = pitching DEATH.
That's not the point.  I'm saying don't draw conclusions after 4 innings.  It's still a work in progress.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #474: July 29, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
That's not the point.  I'm saying don't draw conclusions after 4 innings.  It's still a work in progress.

It has been nearly three years of progress.