Author Topic: Nationals @ Reds, Game 1  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Potomac Cannons

Re: Nationals @ Reds, Game 1
« Reply #75: July 19, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
Well...that's different.

Can I have the same reaction to both parts of that play?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #76: July 19, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
I rather enjoyed Dibble's analysis.  He tells it like it is.  I can't picture any of the O's announcers saying stuff like this.  Angelos would fire their sorry a$$e$.  When Dibble says the players don't have to be your friends, he's directly criticizing Riggleman.  He doesn't think this has to be a popularity contest but rather you should be playing your best players.

this!

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #77: July 19, 2010, 09:31:59 PM »
One day the umpire will just field the ball and throw to first. So glad we get to play two teams every night.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #78: July 19, 2010, 09:32:32 PM »
and now it's time for Dibble to again rip on Riggleman for starting Harris.

What's wrong with that?  He's got Morse buried in the bench, and he starts Harris.  Why?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #79: July 19, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »
Gotta keep Willie fresh!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #80: July 19, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »
What's wrong with that?  He's got Morse buried in the bench, and he starts Harris.  Why?

Gotta make sure no one has their feelings hurt.

Also, Riggleman hates Morse.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #81: July 19, 2010, 09:33:29 PM »
I was getting quite pissed off, since I too had always assumed umpires were part of the field. Not so, right call. A ball is ruled dead, and runners advance one base if... Rule 5.09(f): A fair ball touches a runner or an umpire on fair territory before it touches an infielder including the pitcher, or touches an umpire before it has passed an infielder other than the pitcher.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #82: July 19, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »
Jd martin please go to the minors.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #83: July 19, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »

I agree with Dibble, there's absolutely no way Harris should be starting unless someone is hurt, not with Morris, Maxwell, and Bernadina sitting.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #84: July 19, 2010, 09:33:52 PM »
Nice hair Jonny

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #85: July 19, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »
Gomes can mash.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #86: July 19, 2010, 09:36:25 PM »
Nice hair Mig...oh crud

Offline Coladar

« Reply #87: July 19, 2010, 09:36:44 PM »
And who was it saying Martin didn't need any more time in the minors in another thread? This is his eighth start so far? One other was as bad as this one, and another was just about as bad. He's got some stuff, but he doesn't have the polish. Horrible for two innings tonight, awesome for the other four.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #88: July 19, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
Just teeing off Martin...expected

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #89: July 19, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
And who was it saying Martin didn't need any more time in the minors in another thread? This is his eighth start so far? One other was as bad as this one, and another was just about as bad. He's got some stuff, but he doesn't have the polish. Horrible for two innings tonight, awesome for the other four.
Imo he is not a major leaguer...didn't think we would have to resort to our AAAA guys this year but inuries/ineffectiveness changed that

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #90: July 19, 2010, 09:41:27 PM »
6th   J Gomes homered to left.   2   5
6th   M Cairo homered to left.   2   6

Nationals  2
Reds         6

I guess I need a primer on how great JD Martin is as a pitcher.

I'm watching Last Comic Standing on NBC.
Rachel Feinstein, the only one from DC, just performed.
You can vote for her to remain in the contest
from 10pm-midnight tonight by calling 1-877-5-KEEP-04

Rachel Feinstein performs at comedy clubs in Arlington & DC

Offline Coladar

« Reply #91: July 19, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
Imo he is not a major leaguer...didn't think we would have to resort to our AAAA guys this year but inuries/ineffectiveness changed that

I disagree with you in that he is certainly a major leaguer, as he performed extraordinarily well against an incredible hitting team... For four innings. They just brought him up too damn soon, like they've done with so many of our pitchers. Atilano is not a major leaguer. Martin has the stuff to be a #4 on most teams, but he was brought up too early. He's dominant 75% of the time, and gives us a chance to win in about 66% of our games. He just needed/needs another 3 months in AAA to work out a couple final kinks.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #92: July 19, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
More time in the minors isn't going to help Martin. He's been in the minors for like 8 years already and has dominated AAA before.

Martin hasn't even pitched badly in the big leagues. He has a 4.14 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP. Those are solid numbers for a #4/5 pitcher. He had a 3.71 ERA last year in his last 11 starts. More time in the minors is not the problem, 86 MPH fastball is the problem. AAA won't fix that.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #93: July 19, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
I disagree with you in that he is certainly a major leaguer, as he performed extraordinarily well against an incredible hitting team... For four innings. They just brought him up too damn soon, like they've done with so many of our pitchers. Atilano is not a major leaguer. Martin has the stuff to be a #4 on most teams, but he was brought up too early. He's dominant 75% of the time, and gives us a chance to win in about 66% of our games. He just needed/needs another 3 months in AAA to work out a couple final kinks.
In your opinion JD should be alright for next year then?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #94: July 19, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
Imo neither atilano or martin our mlb quality.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #95: July 19, 2010, 09:46:45 PM »
Reds/Nationals trivia;

Rob Dibble got his first save(for the Reds) of his career against what team?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #96: July 19, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »
The Nats didn't bring him up too quickly. He has pitched 785 IP in 10 seasons in the minors. He has pitched over 300 IP in AA and AAA with an ERA of about 3 and WHIP of 1.10. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #97: July 19, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »

Martin has been in the minor leagues since 2001. He's dominated the minor leagues at every level. He's 27. What else do you think he can learn in a few more months?

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #98: July 19, 2010, 09:50:31 PM »

Name them...don't just make crap up.

Martin got pulled against Baltimore after 4.1 with 3 unearned runs.  He's had 1 bad start, in Cleveland.  Tonight, with the rain delay, you pull him after 5 instead of running him out there for another inning.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #99: July 19, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »
Nice hustle Ian