Author Topic: Which ball parks have you been to, and which is your favorite?  (Read 6743 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Oh yeah,  RFK, Nats Park,  old Yankee Stadium and Citizens Bank.

MiLB- Pfitz,  Harry Grove,  Prince Georges County,  Hagerstown,  Reading,  Lackawanna Stadium (Scranton, PA), and RIPKEN Stadium.

College :  Povich Field

Povich is a great place to watch a game.   A toss up between Hagerstown and RIPKEN Stadium for best minor league.
  oh and Fulton County Stadium but only to see Olympic Baseball in 96

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
If we're doing college as well...

Davenport Field (UVA)
Malcolm U. Pitt Field (Richmond)
Rosenblatt Stadium (College World Series)

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
MLB:
Arlington Stadium
Camden Yards
Candlestick
Forbes Field
Nats Park
Oakland Coliseum
PNC Park
Rangers Ballpark
RFK
Three Rivers Stadium

Favorite - PNC...not even close!

MiLB:
Donovan Stadium (Utica)
Isotopes Park (Albuquerque)
Knights Stadium (Charlotte)
McCormick Field (Asheville)
Perdue Stadium (Salisbury)
Pfitzner Stadium (Potomac)
Rosenblatt Stadium (Omaha)
Salem Memorial Ballpark (Salem)
Werner Park (Omaha)

Favorite - The Blatt, first place I took my daughter to a ball game

Offline BH34Natural

Old Yankee Stadium
Old Riverfront Stadium
Old Cleveland Stadium
Wrigley Field
Shea Stadium
Great American Ball Park
Jacobs Field
Citizens bank park

Favorite was Wrigley, far and away. Heading to PNC this summer hopefully and Nats park for the first time.

Also got a big kick out of going to Shea Stadium. Saw Felix Hernandez hit a grand slam.

Offline monkeyhit

Parents took me to Cleveland's Lakefront (huge) where I saw Feller, Luke Easter, Jimmy Piersall et al, then on to New York, where we went to the Polo Grounds (Giants) and Ebbetts Field (Dodgers).
Those stadia are long gone now, but I remember them clearly.

A little later, my brothers took me on train excusrions to Briggs Stadium in Detroit, where we saw guys like Williams, Mantle and Colavito bang them over the short right field bleachers onto Trumbull Ave.  And later on, Al kaline with that infield combo of Whittaker and Trammell. I think I like Briggs Stadium best...$4 to sit in the bleachers and watch guys like Nolan Ryan firing fast balls past just about whoever they faced. Great hot dogs too.

Later on, took a summer vacation with my kids and we attended games at Wrigley, Busch and the KC stadia. Easy to get into.. just walked up to ticket booth before games started.

Have also seen Blue Jays at their original and later dumps, Exhibition Stadium and Rogers Centre (once called Sky Dome). Horrible sight lines.

Also the great Expos team at Olympic Stadium the year of the strike.  The Quebecois refused to stand even for the Canadian National Anthem, let alone the American. Saw a Montreal pitcher dust back Pete Rose, who got up, glared at him and hit the next offering over the fence. This was when Rose played for the Phillies.

Have gone to Pittsburgh to see the Pirates play Expos at Three Rivers, but don't remember much.

Recently, I've restricted attendance to minor league stadia wherever the Syracuse Chiefs play, like Rochester (great food), Buffalo Bison's Coca Cola Field and Toledo's Fifth Third Bank Field, which has sold out over 300 games in a row and has an amazing way of attracting families and kids.
I've also attended the fine Harrisburgh Senators stadium and the field in Hagerstown, where I saw Harper hit one that took two seconds before it struck the right field foul pole for a HR.  I go to see Auburn Doubledays when they play in Batavia, NY, and the most impressive recent player there has been Matt Skole.
I love baseball (still play it) and those weekend nights at the minor league stadiums with the moths flying into the lights, hot dog vendors plying their trade, beer flowing and the bats cracking balls into the night sky are my idea of how to spend your summers.
So thanks to my parents for starting me off early.

Sorry for the long post, but what else is there to do on a cold winter night?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Old:
RFK
Memorial Stadium
Yankee Stadium
Shea
Mile High
Joe Robbie/SunLife/Dolphin/Land Shark Stadium (for football though)

Current:
Nats Park
Camden Yards
Coors Field
PNC Park
Marlins Park
Citi Field
Petco

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I'm goin' to PNC in May.    I will provide pictures.    I selected my seats based on the view on the Golden Triangle  ...   pitiful.   :)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Caught a game at Kauffman on Friday. Quite an atmosphere. Lot's of tailgaters, great food in the park, Boulevard on tap throughout.

Offline WerthHisWeight

Out of Commission
Old But Renovated Yankee
Shea
Vet
Memorial
RFK
Tiger
County
Municipal
3 Rivers
Riverfront
Old Arlington
Astrodome
Jack Murphy
Candlestick

Current (although the names might not be)
Fenway
Camden
Nats
Jacob’s
Wrigley
New Comiskey
Ballpark in Arlington
Coor’s
Dodger
New Anaheim
Alameda County Coliseum
Safeco

Favorite:  Fenway, despite (perhaps because of) it's lack of modern conveniences.  Probably would have liked Wrigley more if the weather hadn't been terrible the one time I was there.  Also really like Camden Yards and Coor's Field.  Worst was hands-down Veteran's Stadium/Riverfront Stadium (slash line because there really was no difference between the two - somehow, 3 Rivers seemed better of the three cookie cutters).  Of current stadium, whatever they are calling the A's home these days is the dregs.

Offline Dixon Ward

some really impressive lists in this thread. mine is short and sweet...

too young to remember:
coors field
skydome

more recently:
camden yards
new comiskey :spaz:
nats' park

favorite is nats' park thus far.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
RFK
Memorial Stadium, Baltimore
old Yankee Stadium
Cleveland Municipal Stadium
3 Rivers

Nats Park
Citizens Bank
Fenway
Camden Yards

MiLB- Pfitz,  Harry Grove,  Prince Georges County,  Hagerstown,  Reading,  Lackawanna Stadium (Scranton, PA), and RIPKEN Stadium.

College :  Povich Field, Hiram College

Povich is a great place to watch a game.   A toss up between Hagerstown and RIPKEN Stadium for best minor league.

Fulton County Stadium but only to see Olympic Baseball in 96

Offline machpost

Three Rivers Stadium
Camden  Yards
Comerica Park
RFK
Nationals Park
PNC Park

Camden Yards is by far my favorite, but PNC Park comes in second. And even though they were both first-rate dumps, I have nothing but fond memories of Three Rivers and RFK.

We're heading up to see the Nats play in Cleveland this summer. I've heard good things about Progressive Field, and Cleveland has been a fun place to visit for me in the past.

On my wish list, in order:
Dodger Stadium
Kauffman Stadium
Wrigley Field
Petco Park
Rogers Centre

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Fields I wish I had seen:

Crosley
Forbes

(reminded of them watching "42", which does not even try to make Forbes look like Forbes).

DC Stadium (aka RFK) was very good among the 1960 - 1970 dual-purpose fields. It had a decent baseball shape, especially when compared to Shea, which was built about the same time, and where you needed binoculars just to read the players' numbers. RFK also draws a snicker every time Bob calls it "cavernous", as if the place grew an extra thirty feet in distance between 1971 and 2005. "Oh how the fences scare me" said Mickey Mantle...oops...I mean Ryan Church.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Fenway Park is my favorite

Offline machpost

DC Stadium (aka RFK) was very good among the 1960 - 1970 dual-purpose fields. It had a decent baseball shape, especially when compared to Shea, which was built about the same time, and where you needed binoculars just to read the players' numbers. RFK also draws a snicker every time Bob calls it "cavernous", as if the place grew an extra thirty feet in distance between 1971 and 2005. "Oh how the fences scare me" said Mickey Mantle...oops...I mean Ryan Church.

Yeah, when you compare the football and baseball seating configurations, you can really tell that it was designed to favor the baseball layout, unlike the other multipurpose stadiums that followed. And it was easily the most intimate of its contemporaries.

Offline mitlen

DC Stadium (aka RFK) was very good among the 1960 - 1970 dual-purpose fields.

...  and DC had grass

Offline markfnc

I'll add my minor league stadiums

Old Durham Bulls
New Durham Bulls
Carolina Mudcats
Charlotte Knights
Piedmont Bollweevils (now Kannapolis Intimidators)
Hickory Crawdads
South Bend Silver Hawks
Vermont Expos (Burlington)

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
Dodger, Kingdome, Safeco, Old Comiskey, Wrigley, Three Rivers, PNC, The Vet, Old Yankee, Old Tiger, Citi, Fenway, Turner Field, Progressive, Skydome. Camden, Memorial, RFK, Nats Park.
Also went to MEtrodome for the final four.
Favorite was Old Tiger.  Every seat right on top of the field.  Shame to tear it down.  Kingdome was a stange place to watch a game.  I still think Camden is probably the prettiest of those I have been to.  PNC is nice, but I think its a tad overrated.

Offline Terps and Nats

Adding Minor leagues:

Frederick Keys
Bowie Baysox
Hagerstown Suns
South Bend Whitesox (at the time)
I plan to attend a Tennessee Smokies game this summer.
I left off Cheny Stadium (Tacoma raniers) AAA of the Seattle Mariners

Offline Terps and Nats

And if we add NCAA football:

Byrd (Maryland)
Wallace Wade (Duke)
Milan-Puskar (WVU)
Carter-Finley (NCSU)
Scott (UVA)
Also been to Carrier Dome for hoops

Offline Terps and Nats

Pro Football:

M&T
RFK
FedEx
Pro Player (Orange Bowl)
Georgia Dome (Peach Bowl & Final 4)
Alltel (Gator Bowl)

M&T is crushes Fedex

Offline mitlen

PNC is nice, but I think its a tad overrated.

Went to PNC in early May and it's all about location.    I'm not a food/vendor guy so maybe I missed something.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline HTT

I've been to:
College:
Rutgers field (got to see Eric Young, Sr play in college)
U of Hawaii field

Minors:
Charleston, WV field

Shea Stadium
Old Yankee Stadium
Veterans Stadium
Three Rivers Stadium
Cleveland Municipal Stadium (mistake by the lake)
RFK Stadium
CitiField
new Yankee Stadium (for football)
Rogers Centre (for football)
Chase Field (for football)
Tropicana Field (for football)
Nationals Park
Camden Yards
PNC Park
Safeco Field

Driven by: Miller Park, Comiskey Field, new Busch, Kaufmann Stadium, Minute Maid Park, Coors Field

Favorites are Camden Yards and PNC Park.  I like Nats Park; it would be better with better food and drink. 

Just went to Safeco Field last week to see Seattle host Texas.  I really liked the stadium and the choice of craft beers.  It was Little League day, and since my nephew plays and was in uniform, we were allowed to walk on the field before the game (on the warning track).  We were able to take a leisurely stoll (about a half an hour).  My nephew had his glove signed by Lucas Luetke, right before he was sent down to the minors.  Saw a bunch of the Rangers pitchers long tossing as well as Yu Darvish jogging around.  Don't know who was more excited: my nephew, or me and my brother-in-law, neither of us had been on a MLB field before. 

BTW, they are having a Mike Morse T-shirt day in June: May the Morse be with you. 

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
I agree Mitlen.  I just got back and it was an amazing place to take in a ball game. 

Looks like you went up the incline(s) as well.  Great view up there. 

Offline mitlen

I agree Mitlen.  I just got back and it was an amazing place to take in a ball game. 

Looks like you went up the incline(s) as well.  Great view up there. 

Grandview AVE is a great place.