Author Topic: Nationals Claim Kenny Kelly from Cincinnati, DFA Wil Cordero  (Read 5389 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Nationals claim outfielder Kenny Kelly from Cincinnati, designate Wil Cordero for assignment
Nationals also outright Horgan and Sequea

The Washington Nationals today claimed outfielder Kenny Kelly off waivers from the Cincinnati Reds and designated first baseman Wil Cordero for assignment. The club also recalled left-handed pitcher Joe Horgan and right-handed pitcher Jacobo Sequea, not to report, and outrighted them to Triple-A New Orleans and Double-A Harrisburg, respectively. Nationals Vice President and General Manager Jim Bowden made the announcement.

FULL PRESS RELEASE

Offline JMW IV

I think we are looking at a multi-player deal within the next few days.

either Church or Wilkerson will be involved.

BigRChurchfan

balls.

I can't think of a name out there that I'd take for either of those guys to be gone...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
The club also recalled left-handed pitcher Joe Horgan and right-handed pitcher Jacobo Sequea, not to report, and outrighted them to Triple-A New Orleans and Double-A Harrisburg, respectively.

What's all that about Horgan and Sequea, does this just mean they're being promoted?

Offline JMW IV

Quote from: "tomterp"
The club also recalled left-handed pitcher Joe Horgan and right-handed pitcher Jacobo Sequea, not to report, and outrighted them to Triple-A New Orleans and Double-A Harrisburg, respectively.

What's all that about Horgan and Sequea, does this just mean they're being promoted?

no. it means that they recalled them, then Outrighted them back to their Minor League clubs, removing them from the 40-man roster.

this is what has me convinced there is a bigger trade cooking here.

plus the fact that Julio Lugo just got pulled from the Devil Rays' game in the 8th inning, pinch-hit for by a .111 hitter, has me kinda antsy as well.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
So, a transaction to remove them from the 40-man roster.  Does this transaction prevent them from being exposed to waiver claims?

Offline JMW IV

So, a transaction to remove them from the 40-man roster.  Does this transaction prevent them from being exposed to waiver claims?

not sure.

but what it DOES do is make room on the 40-man roster for the results of a multi-player trade.

this has all the makings of a set-up for an upcoming Prospects-For-Players deal.

remember when Bowden said to buy some kleenex?

this is gonna be why.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Ok, guess that's what is important.

I also find it amusing that Bowden swipes a Red before you can blink.  Must think the guy can play a bit.  But it does take us back to 6 outfielders once Nick returns.

Offline JMW IV

Nats Farm Authority, our resident Prospects Blog, chimes in with some views on todays roster activity:

http://natsfarmreport.blogspot.com/2005/07/big-league-roster-moves.html#comments

Offline JMW IV

I also find it amusing that Bowden swipes a Red before you can blink.  Must think the guy can play a bit.  But it does take us back to 6 outfielders once Nick returns.

which leads me to believe that either Wilkerson or Church is gone.  we've got too many outfielders, and those two are the ones with the most trade value.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

which leads me to believe that either Wilkerson or Church is gone.  we've got too many outfielders, and those two are the ones with the most trade value.

I'd really hate to see either of these guys go, but if we have to move one of them, I hope it's Wilkerson.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

not sure.

but what it DOES do is make room on the 40-man roster for the results of a multi-player trade.

this has all the makings of a set-up for an upcoming Prospects-For-Players deal.

remember when Bowden said to buy some kleenex?

this is gonna be why.

I got my kleenex ready, tho unless we get a leadoff hitter, hard to see how Wilkie goes.

In the land of the people with no noses, he with half a nose is king  :wink:

Got to think it is gonna be VERY soon tho. Like before the end of the day. Check out that Nats starting lineup!

For now, kelly's just been placed on the 25 man roster...does that mean an outfielder is going?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Nats Farm Authority, our resident Prospects Blog, chimes in with some views on todays roster activity:

http://natsfarmreport.blogspot.com/2005/07/big-league-roster-moves.html#comments

I hope your friend at the the Nationals Farm Authority notices that he spell Deivi Cruz's name wrong...

And talk about VERBOSE comments by you and Leiv & Erik... LOL

Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

I hope your friend at the the Nationals Farm Authority notices that he spell Deivi Cruz's name wrong...

And talk about VERBOSE comments by you and Leiv & Erik... LOL

dunno about the "next 11 days" comment.

Not sure why you do this now to leave 2 open roster spots in case you might need them in the next 11 days.

Says its imminent to me.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan

With 2 empty spots on the 40 man roster already, and if either Church or Wilkerson are traded, that tells me that Bowden is going to be adding three players and not two. Two to fill the 2 empty spots and one to replace either Wilkerson or Church...

I think it's very possible that Bowden might be getting ready to pull the trigger on not one, but two deals...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Quote from: "mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)"
I got my kleenex ready, tho unless we get a leadoff hitter, hard to see how Wilkie goes.

I think if Wilkerson gets dealt, the trade is with Tampa Bay for Baez and Lug, but that would still leave an empty spot on the 40 man roster, could a second deal be not fat behind?

With 2 empty spots on the 40 man roster already, and if either Church or Wilkerson are traded, that tells me that Bowden is going to be adding three players and not two. Two to fill the 2 empty spots and one to replace either Wilkerson or Church...

I think it's very possible that Bowden might be getting ready to pull the trigger on not one, but two deals...

I was thinking the same.

Bloody Wednesday?

Quote from: "mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)"

I think if Wilkerson gets dealt, the trade is with Tampa Bay for Baez and Lug, but that would still leave an empty spot on the 40 man roster, could a second deal be not fat behind?

Then lets hope its for Pierre.

Wilkie sure ain't no Tim Raines but he's about the only leadoff hitter Nats got (Less they bring up Watson :)

Course Wilkie did make that "I could be gone any day" comment around the All Star break.

Let's hope kelly isn't the Nats new leadoff hitter.