Author Topic: Isaac  (Read 1202 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Isaac
« Topic Start: August 26, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »
Because there's nothing like a natural disaster to take our minds off of a Philadelphia disaster, how about we start talking about Isaac?

Currently the storm is heading right for New Orleans as a C3 Hurricane and will strike on the anniversary of Katrina.

Offline eckseid

Re: Isaac
« Reply #1: August 26, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
I'm right in the path on the navy base in Gulfport. A mile off the beach. Never been that close to a beach during a hurricane, but I survived Isabel and Irene, so I'm good.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: August 26, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
Stay safe eck!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #3: August 26, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »
I'm right in the path on the navy base in Gulfport. A mile off the beach. Never been that close to a beach during a hurricane, but I survived Isabel and Irene, so I'm good.
This would be your third hurricane with a name beginning with I. That's bizarre.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #4: August 26, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »
This would be your third hurricane with a name beginning with I. That's bizarre.

Ya, I'm thinking if I was in VA, this hurricane would be hitting there instead of here. Hurricanes that start with the letter I don't like me.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #5: August 27, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »
Eck after Katrina there's no way they don't make you evacuate, good luck and stay safe

Offline eckseid

« Reply #6: August 27, 2012, 06:51:02 AM »
Eck after Katrina there's no way they don't make you evacuate, good luck and stay safe

We'll be going to a shelter on base.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: August 27, 2012, 08:19:12 AM »
How high is the base?  Have you heard storm surge projections?

Offline eckseid

« Reply #8: August 27, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »
How high is the base?  Have you heard storm surge projections?

No idea on either of those.

Edit: nevermind on the shelter. Staying locked down in our building. Can't leave to go anywhere.

Offline imref

« Reply #9: August 27, 2012, 06:13:36 PM »
just flew home from Jacksonville through some of Isaac's far far outer bands, not much fun.

Offline imref

« Reply #10: August 27, 2012, 06:13:54 PM »

Edit: nevermind on the shelter. Staying locked down in our building. Can't leave to go anywhere.

cantore said this morning 5-15' surge.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #11: August 27, 2012, 07:30:15 PM »
Sending good vibes to everyone/everything in harms way.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #12: August 27, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
Well I got put on nights for a national ops and response center. All in all, I think it will be okay. It seems that certain states' governors learned lessons from Katrina and decided to active their Guards units ahead of time ....

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #13: August 28, 2012, 07:06:36 AM »
How are things in Houston, HoustonNat ?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: August 28, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »
Slate - I always wondered why with Katrina especially we did not have a helicopter carrier set out from Norfolk or whereever their based on the east coast and ready to get to the spot a big one lands in the gulf.  copters are amazing things when there is disaster recovery.  We took the jets off of the Lincoln (admittedly a lot bigger than an assault ship) when we sent it to Sumatra for disaster aid.  I would have thought we would have been quicker to deploy the Navy.

Along these lines, is the 82d or the 101st in the states now?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: August 28, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
there are tons of army bases relatively close with plenty of helicopters, it's just a matter of someone actually giving the orders for them to do something

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #16: August 28, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »
Rush Limbaugh thinks that the Obama administration had the National Weather Center report a false hurricane track to impact the Republican Convention.
“The hurricane center is the regime; the hurricane center is the Commerce Department. It’s the government. It’s Obama,”

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/08/27/752661/rush-limbaugh-says-obama-manipulated-isaac-storm-track-to-delay-gop-convention-the-hurricane-center-is-obama/?mobile=nc

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: August 28, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
When did he kick the oxycontin habit?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #18: August 28, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »
When did he kick the oxycontin habit?

Apparently, he's had a relapse.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #19: August 28, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »

That is stunning.  They bussed sailors from Pensacola to a base in Georgia but they've left military personnel in their barracks in Gulfport, which was basically wiped out during Katrina? Good luck again Eck :(

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #20: August 28, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
My wife is supposed to go to New Orleans next week on a business trip. I have a feeling it may be postponed.

Regarding Katrina, one of the big reasons the feds didn't jump right in is that there's a federal law that says they can't do that unless and until the governor requests federal assistance. Then-Governor Blanco of Louisiana was extremely slow in doing so for reasons that have never been entirely clear. The mayor at the time was a dunce as well. Hopefully the current people have their heads screwed on a bit better.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #21: August 28, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
That is stunning.  They bussed sailors from Pensacola to a base in Georgia but they've left military personnel in their barracks in Gulfport, which was basically wiped out during Katrina? Good luck again Eck :(

Lol thanks. I don't think this storm is gonna be terrible. Though it does seem to be taking forever to get here.

Edit: The main thing that I think is gonna be bad is the flooding. Ive never seen so much standing water after just a drizzle then I have here. At my home in Richmond, it can rain for hours and there's no standing water. But I swear, just a 3 min rain storm will flood the parking lots here.

Online Slateman

« Reply #22: August 28, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »
Slate - I always wondered why with Katrina especially we did not have a helicopter carrier set out from Norfolk or whereever their based on the east coast and ready to get to the spot a big one lands in the gulf.  copters are amazing things when there is disaster recovery.  We took the jets off of the Lincoln (admittedly a lot bigger than an assault ship) when we sent it to Sumatra for disaster aid.  I would have thought we would have been quicker to deploy the Navy.

Along these lines, is the 82d or the 101st in the states now?

Because that's what the Air Force, Coast Guard, and Air National Guard is supposed to be for.

82nd and 101st have not deployed. The National Guard has. Lousiana has 4k guardsmen on standby.

Flooding is going to be bad and it's going to be on a much broader scale than you'd realize. Arkansas and the rest of the midwest have been living in drought the past two months. The crops were stripped down and the ground is hard as a rock. When the rains come, it's going to flood all over. Needed this like a month ago.

But the hurricane won't become more than a CAT 1 and it'll probably be a TS by tomorrow evening

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: August 28, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
Something weird going on.  The surge hit in a spot where it could push water up the Mississippi with the wind direction also pushing up that there was a huge jump in the water levels around plaquemines.  now they are saying that it is receding a bit according to the ACOE.

Online Slateman

« Reply #24: August 28, 2012, 10:36:54 PM »
Something weird going on.  The surge hit in a spot where it could push water up the Mississippi with the wind direction also pushing up that there was a huge jump in the water levels around plaquemines.  now they are saying that it is receding a bit according to the ACOE.

What channel are you hearing this on?