Author Topic: 1960 World Series: Watch on You Tube (a dramatic series it was, too!)  (Read 557 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
We probably all know who won the 1960 World Series, and the hit that won it, but the entire series was close. I doubt anybody remembers much about what led to that hit, but this sequence from You Tube shows the story. Notice:

- the play is not much different from what we see today, except maybe that players were more likely to slide feet-first in 1960. Football and basketball are dramatically different 50 years later, partly from rule changes and partly from the size of the players, but this is recognizably the same baseball.

- the players. Both teams were loaded with stars, and not just the Hall of Famers like Mantle and Clemente. The Yankee OF was Bob Cerv, Mickey Mantle, and Roger Maris. Yogi Berra is catching, but we also see Elston Howard and Tony Kubek. Whitey Ford pitches. The Pirates have got Bob Skinner, Bill Virdon, and Roberto Clemente in the OF, with Don Hoak, Dick Groat, and Bill Mazeroski around the IF. Vern Law, Bob Friend, Harvey Haddix, and Elroy Face pitch

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Game 6

Game 7

Offline HalfSmokes

Tanks for the links- I have a feeling some time will be wasted soon

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Aggregate score over the seven matches favoured the Yankees 55-27...but the Pirates won the series. Possibly the strangest Series ever, capped by a wild Game 7.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Aggregate score over the seven matches favoured the Yankees 55-27...but the Pirates won the series. Possibly the strangest Series ever, capped by a wild Game 7.

I asked Vern Law about it when he was the Chantilly signing and he said, with a big grin, "yes sir, just glad we go through game seven without giving up 10 runs again."  Super nice guy.