Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Watch  (Read 186632 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: The Bryce Harper Watch
« Reply #350: May 17, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
Bryce is SEVENTEEN! most 17 year olds act like whiny spoiled brats. and then they grow out of it. and so will Bryce.

I don't get why people are expecting him to instantly stop being a kid immediately.

he's immature and he does immature things. that's what kids are and do.  I don't see how that makes him anywhere near as bad as people(mostly scouts of teams with the 2-5 picks who want him to fall to them) are making him out to be.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #351: May 17, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Jordan didn't show others up by crying, throwing helmets and acting like a spoiled brat. He let his play do the talking in the end.

I bet you Jordan did a lot of that stuff when he played Baseball. Plus, MJ was one of the biggest douches to ever play sports. Look at how he treated his teammates and front office.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #352: May 17, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Bryce is SEVENTEEN! most 17 year olds act like whiny spoiled brats. and then they grow out of it. and so will Bryce.

I don't get why people are expecting him to instantly stop being a kid immediately.

he's immature and he does immature things. that's what kids are and do.  I don't see how that makes him anywhere near as bad as people(mostly scouts of teams with the 2-5 picks who want him to fall to them) are making him out to be.

i agree. he's 17. crap 99% of kids that age will act that way in sports when they fail.

also, i dont see why people have problem with the eyeblack. football players put it all over their face and i see some softball players (who i broadcast for MD) do it every game. big del.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #353: May 17, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #354: May 17, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »
also, i dont see why people have problem with the eyeblack. football players put it all over their face and i see some softball players (who i broadcast for MD) do it every game. big del.

Because it is stupid and I'm not looking forward to having to look at it. Hopefully he leaves the makeup behind when he ships off for pro baseball. Not a trend that I want to make its way to MLB.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #355: May 17, 2010, 01:59:38 PM »
Did anyone else act like this during High School baseball? I know I didn't.

Just because he's successful doesn't mean he can't show the smallest bit of class on the diamond.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #356: May 17, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
Did anyone else act like this during High School baseball? I know I didn't.
How many of us on here have the talent he does and were treated the way he's been treated.  I've seen a lot of hyped high school athletes think they were better than they actually were.  Some flame out, some grow up and realize their potential.  If he's still acting like this after a year or three of pro-ball, I'll be more concerned, though it will probably mean he's been tremendously successful. 

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #357: May 17, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
I will reiterate what JMad commented

He's 17 years old.

I just got done teaching a group of 17-year olds and there was ample attitude to go around.

Does it make it right? No.

But should it surprise anyone? No.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #358: May 17, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »
How many of us on here have the talent he does and were treated the way he's been treated.  I've seen a lot of hyped high school athletes think they were better than they actually were.  Some flame out, some grow up and realize their potential.  If he's still acting like this after a year or three of pro-ball, I'll be more concerned, though it will probably mean he's been tremendously successful. 

Obviously none of us have his talent. Also, we've probably never been babied through life like Harper has... but the kid is a dick. Plain and simple.

I hope he grows up and is great for the Nats... but in a sport filled with jerks, Harper looks like he's at the very top of the list.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #359: May 17, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »
Obviously none of us have his talent. Also, we've probably never been babied through life like Harper has... but the kid is a dick. Plain and simple.

I hope he grows up and is great for the Nats... but in a sport filled with jerks, Harper looks like he's at the very top of the list.
And that's possible.  He'll be humbled when he gets to proball at some point.  That will be the true test.  Will he take the ARod or Griffey or Mauer route or will he take the Josh Hamilton road?  That's the question.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #360: May 17, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »
I'm not concerned about the character issues, but I'm interested to see how he reacts the first time he gets a 95 MPH fastball blown by his ear for his antics.  Regardless though, he is the best talent in the draft, I agree that picking him is a no brainer at this point.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #361: May 17, 2010, 02:23:02 PM »
I'm not concerned about the character issues, but I'm interested to see how he reacts the first time he gets a 95 MPH fastball blown by his ear for his antics.  Regardless though, he is the best talent in the draft, I agree that picking him is a no brainer at this point.

I would hope the other team's star or pithcer takes a 95mph fastball to the ribs

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #362: May 17, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »
I'm not concerned about the character issues, but I'm interested to see how he reacts the first time he gets a 95 MPH fastball blown by his ear for his antics.  Regardless though, he is the best talent in the draft, I agree that picking him is a no brainer at this point.

I think the herion addiction route is pretty rare. I'd be more worrid about his skills maturing (always a risk), than his attitude. In football a high first rounder can sign one contract and have a reasonable expectation that that will be the largest one they will ever see. In baseball, the number 1 over all may get a $10 million signing bonus, but they will make more than that over the course of their arb. years if they keep on working, and the big reward may be a decade off, i.e. there is a lot less incentive in baseball to be Ryan Leaf.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #363: May 17, 2010, 02:51:22 PM »

So a 17-year-old kid reuturning smack means Bryce Harper = Milton Bradley?

Unreal.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #364: May 17, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
So a 17-year-old kid reuturning smack means Bryce Harper = Milton Bradley?

Unreal.

Did I say he's the next Milton Bradley? I said he needs to grow up. Which he has plenty of time to do.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #365: May 17, 2010, 02:56:22 PM »
Did I say he's the next Milton Bradley? I said he needs to grow up. Which he has plenty of time to do.

...in a sport filled with jerks, Harper looks like he's at the very top of the list.

Nope, but that's pretty darn close, wouldn't ya say?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #366: May 17, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
Nope. Right now he's a big time jerk. He can still change.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #367: May 17, 2010, 03:23:14 PM »
I'm fine with his attitude but if he starts to get on the level where he calls out teammates or crap like that (crap that could ruin the clubhouse: Dukes, Bradley) then screw that. Right now though, its to early to call since he is a kid still.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #368: May 17, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Nope. Right now he's a big time jerk. He can still change.
Do you know Bryce? Do you know anyone that knows Bryce? Do you know anyone that knows anyone that knows Bryce? Orrrrr, are you completely slamming a 17 year-old based on what a few agenda driven scouts have reported?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #369: May 17, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »
Do you know Bryce? Do you know anyone that knows Bryce? Do you know anyone that knows anyone that knows Bryce? Orrrrr, are you completely slamming a 17 year-old based on what a few agenda driven scouts have reported?

How many games has he already been ejected from due to showing up the other team/umpires?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #370: May 17, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »

He could've just turned this question back on you.

I'd appreciate it if you two would drop this for now.  Arguing about something neither of you has first, second, or third-hand knowledge of is rather unlikely to be productive by any measure.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #371: May 17, 2010, 03:47:52 PM »
How many games has he already been ejected from due to showing up the other team/umpires?

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #372: May 17, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »
I don't know, you tell me.

What I do know is that in the span of two hours you've called a 17 year-old kid classless, a dick, one of the biggest jerks in baseball and a brat.

Bryce has maturity issues, obviously. Even people closest to him will admit as much. But you're taking it too far - especially considering you're basing your opinion of the kid solely on the opinions of a few scouts.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #373: May 17, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »

And wasn't that for trying to throw a runner out at 1st base?

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #374: May 17, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »
He could've just turned this question back on you.

I'd appreciate it if you two would drop this for now.  Arguing about something neither of you has first, second, or third-hand knowledge of is rather unlikely to be productive by any measure.
Will do, Chief. But just so you know, my answer to Linty's question would have been yes. And you're assumption about me is incorrect. That's fine though.