Author Topic: The next japanese phenom  (Read 6771 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: The next japanese phenom
« Reply #25: October 20, 2012, 08:30:58 PM »
^ The Orioles were fined and the contract voided when they try to sign a Korean kid outside of what Korean officials thought was the handshake agreement they had with MLB.

I guess the handshake agreement only counts when it doesn't involve a player the Red Sox or Yankees want.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #26: October 20, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
Thanks, Linty. Interesting article.

MLB shouldn't piss off the NPL over this IMO. Selig generally does the opposite of what I think MLB should do, so I fully expect Selig to Selig this one.

It is believed that at least a half-dozen teams will actively pursue him, including the Boston Red Sox, the Braves and the Seattle Mariners, with offers that could reach $2 million to $5 million.

So they expect teams to exceed the $3 mil international cap?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #27: October 20, 2012, 08:33:22 PM »
I guess the handshake agreement only counts when it doesn't involve a player the Red Sox or Yankees want.

:lol: this.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #28: October 20, 2012, 11:31:59 PM »
Japanese high school kids are protected from being signed by MLB teams.

there is a handshake agreement.  With a talent this good, do you really think mlb teams give a damn about handshake agreements?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #29: October 20, 2012, 11:38:54 PM »

So they expect teams to exceed the $3 mil international cap?

that was in reference to when teams were courting tazawa.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #30: October 21, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »
there is a handshake agreement.  With a talent this good, do you really think mlb teams give a damn about handshake agreements?

They should. It's short-sighted to screw over the NPL and risk the cooperative agreement they have over one player.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #31: October 21, 2012, 10:42:17 AM »
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/shohei-otani-headed-to-mlb.html

He's coming to  MLB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

GO GET HIM RIZZO!!!!! SPEND THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #32: October 21, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »
We should go way over the bonus limit to sign him.  the penalty would be not being able to give out large bonuses for the next couple years.  It's not like we would give out big bonuses anyways.  get it done rizzo!

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #33: October 21, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »
Zimm, I advise not getting your hopes up this time.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #34: October 21, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
Zimm, I advise not getting your hopes up this time.

yeah i know.  he's probably going to the rangers or dodgers

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #35: October 21, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »
We should go way over the bonus limit to sign him.  the penalty would be not being able to give out large bonuses for the next couple years.  It's not like we would give out big bonuses anyways.  get it done rizzo!

Is that the penalty for going over? If so, screw it! FO has done zip internationally -- why not sign one touted prospect?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #36: October 21, 2012, 07:43:01 PM »
He's a free agent. There is no bonus llimit

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #37: October 21, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »
He's a free agent. There is no bonus llimit

He's an international free agent. There is a bonus limit.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #38: October 23, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »
Latest On Shohei Otani

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [October 23 at 4:02pm CST]

Shohei Otani, the Japanese pitching prospect who intends to pursue a career in MLB, appears to be an elite talent comparable to those selected in the top half of the first round of baseball’s amateur draft. The right-hander had been a potential first overall pick in Japan before he announced his intention to play for an MLB organization. And, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America, Dodgers assistant GM Logan White told Japanese reporters that Otani could go first overall if he were eligible for the MLB draft.

However, the 18-year-old free agent won’t be draft eligible. Otani will be subject to spending restrictions as an international amateur, which means teams will face consequences if they exceed the $2.9MM international bonus threshold to sign him. Teams will be taxed at a rate of 100% for exceeding the 2.9MM threshold by more than 15%. These clubs would also forfeit the right to spend more than $250K on an international player during the following year’s signing period.

Callis suggests these restrictions won’t be too much of a deterrent for interested MLB teams. Boston GM Ben Cherington confirmed today that the Red Sox met with Otani, Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports (on Twitter). The Red Sox and Rangers “have done the most work in this arena,” ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported today. Meanwhile, the Angels aren’t expected to be heavily involved, Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports (on Twitter).

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #39: October 24, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
Rizzo isn't very big on the international market. Wouldn't get my hopes up.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #40: October 24, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
International baseball interests me even if it's not nationals related

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #41: October 24, 2012, 02:12:25 PM »
From NPB Tracker:
Aaaaaaaaaaaand we have our first bit of drama in Shohei Otani‘s journey to MLB. Quoted in Sanspo, Nippon Ham Fighters GM Masao Yamada has declared his intent to select Otani with his first pick in today’s (JST time) draft.

“Regarding Otani-kun, he’s made comments saying like to go to a Major League team, but as a ball club we will follow through with our intent to select the strongest player with our first pick. We plan to select Otani-kun.”
    note: the “kun”  suffix is a name identifier; kind of like “san” for young men.
.... so at a minimum being selected in the draft would delay Otani signing with an MLB club for several months

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #42: October 24, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »
And the plot thickens...

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #43: October 24, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »
International baseball interests me even if it's not nationals related

I want Abreu  :az:

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #44: October 24, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »
I want Abreu  :az:

Jose dariel abreu? If so then hell yeah!  I'm all :az: over him. Dude can flat out rake.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #45: October 24, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »
He'll never come. I'm Cuban myself so I get giddy for potential Cuban imports.

I was hoping Gourriel would come years ago, Cuban secret security just too tight now on their best guys.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #46: October 24, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
Well abreu is in mexico with the cuban national team through the 31st, so if it is going to happen this offseason, then may be his best shot

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #47: October 24, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »
Well abreu is in mexico with the cuban national team through the 31st, so if it is going to happen this offseason, then may be his best shot

If Abreu does defect, his bonus would still be governed by that ~$2.9M MLB Team cap.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #48: October 24, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
If Abreu does defect, his bonus would still be governed by that ~$2.9M MLB Team cap.

no.  cubans over the age of 23 are exempt fro that rule as they are considered professionals. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #49: October 24, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »
no.  cubans over the age of 23 are exempt fro that rule as they are considered professionals. 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2012/2613345.html

EDIT:

This too
For the next two years, Cubans will be exempt as long as they are 23 and have played in a Cuban professional league for at least three seasons. Beginning in 2014-15 Cubans must have five years of pro experience to be exempt. So if Yoenis Cespedes had still been unsigned by July 2, he would have been exempt from the new rules anyway, where 20-year-old outfielder Jorge Soler will be subject to the new rules unless he can get all of his paperwork pushed through and sign before July 2.