Sammy Solis
Steve Lombardozzi
Tom Milone
Robbie Ray
Chris Marrero
Michael Taylor
Tyler Moore
Other (explain)

Author Topic: WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #8 Prospect  (Read 1069 times)

Offline JMUalumni

WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #8 Prospect
« Topic Start: August 18, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
Voting closes on Friday, August 19, 2011 at 7 p.m.

WNFF Top 30 Prospect List

1. Bryce Harper - OF
2. Anthony Rendon - IF
3. Matt Purke - SP
4. A.J. Cole - SP
5. Brad Peacock - SP
6. Derek Norris - C
7. Alex Meyer - SP
8. ???

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #8 Prospect
« Reply #1: August 18, 2011, 08:16:56 PM »
Matt Skole- huge power hitter currently hitting .290/.385/.433

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: August 18, 2011, 08:20:57 PM »
Chris Marrero, barely, over Destin Hood. He has produced good but not great numbers at every level. Still just 23 years old. Out of all the people on the list, he has the highest likelihood of being an average Major League player, at the worst.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #3: August 18, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »
Matt Skole- huge power hitter currently hitting .290/.385/.433

I like Skole a lot, too. He probably would have been drafted a few rounds earlier had he not had legal issues.

That said, I think #8 is a bit high for him right now.

Says a lot about our system because a few years ago he'd have been a top 5er for sure.

I voted for Goodwin. He has the highest upside of the remaining names on the list.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #4: August 18, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
I had to go with Hood here.  I like Marrero and Goodwin as well around this range of the list, but Destin has five tool potential and has been developing each of them at a pretty good pace.  I expect to see Hood really break out next year and wouldn't be surprised if we saw some more of his doubles turn into home runs.  His ability to draw a walk this year has been a major plus.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #5: August 18, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »
I had to go with Hood here.  I like Marrero and Goodwin as well around this range of the list, but Destin has five tool potential and has been developing each of them at a pretty good pace.  I expect to see Hood really break out next year and wouldn't be surprised if we saw some more of his doubles turn into home runs.  His ability to draw a walk this year has been a major plus.

next year i see him going .275-.285, 18 HR, 35 2B, 83 RBI, 18 SB

down the road in the majors?  i projected some numbers in his FTP thread, i think he can be a 20/20 guy for sure.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #6: August 18, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »
I'm surprised at Goodwin over Hood votes.

Offline RebelNAT

• Hotty Toddy
« Reply #7: August 18, 2011, 11:33:54 PM »
I chose hood here and I guess this is as good as a place as any to ask this question:

i think hood and goodwin are comparable prospects with hood obviously having more time playing in the minors. Can someone breakdown their differences and similarities, pros and cons, projected major league status, etc. Im just interested to know more about them and see them compared since they are similar players.

Offline RD

« Reply #8: August 19, 2011, 12:17:11 AM »
I chose hood here and I guess this is as good as a place as any to ask this question:

i think hood and goodwin are comparable prospects with hood obviously having more time playing in the minors. Can someone breakdown their differences and similarities, pros and cons, projected major league status, etc. Im just interested to know more about them and see them compared since they are similar players.

Since we're judging Goodwin on what he displayed as an amateur, there is a lot of speculating here. But I think Goodwin projects as more of a top of the order guy, a table setter. A 1 or 2 hitter. In comparison to Hood, I think he projects better with his hit tool, speed and defense. I think he can definitely stay in center, which gives him more defensive value, and think he'll steal more bases. Hood on the other hand, projects as a middle of the order guy. He's expected to have more power than Goodwin, though he probably doesn't hit for as high an average or steals as many bases(and I think Hood has 20 steal potential).

I went with Hood here, because I think both players have similar potential(though I do think more is expected out of Goodwin based on draft position, bonus, and where he was projected to go next year), but Hood is on his way to realizing his potential. He's gotten better, and has solid numbers this year, but they are much more impressive because he's shown improvement on all his weaknesses. He's hitting for more power, taking more walks, striking out less, and using his speed more. Goodwin is next on the list though IMO.

Offline RebelNAT

• Hotty Toddy
« Reply #9: August 19, 2011, 12:28:37 AM »
very informative write up RD. Thats pretty much what i was looking for. Thanks. I hope both of them maximize their potential.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: August 19, 2011, 08:35:58 AM »
I went with Hood because he earned the "tomterp has seen this kid play and he (the kid) didn't suck" tiebreaker.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #11: August 19, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
Hoody gets my vote.

Offline NickyBlueEyes

« Reply #12: August 19, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »
I voted Marrero. Solid numbers that have seadily improved, and I love reading the Adrian Gonzalez comparisions. The hard thing about these polls is to take out the position the prospect plays and just rank on potential value of the guy himself. Looks like Hood is gonna get the 8 spot anyway.