Author Topic: Nationals vs Braves, Game 1  (Read 19866 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Nationals vs Braves, Game 1
« Reply #425: March 31, 2011, 05:48:47 PM »
Nobody hit it at Desmond

yeah they did ... guess you weren't watching :lmao:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #426: March 31, 2011, 05:49:05 PM »
yeah they did ... guess you weren't watching :lmao:

He didn't make any unusual plays

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #427: March 31, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »

so what, MDS' point was that he didn't make any errors today and you were mistaken when you said no balls were hit at him.

he struck out twice.  so did morse.  stop being a SF and knee jerk reacting to the first friggin game.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #428: March 31, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »
He didn't make an error.  That's unusual.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #429: March 31, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
so what, MDS' point was that he didn't make any errors today and you were mistaken when you said no balls were hit at him.

he struck out twice.  so did morse.  stop being a SF and knee jerk reacting to the first friggin game.

Morse let me down too. I wanted him to have a big homer. 2 K's from your leadoff guy though, come on.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #430: March 31, 2011, 05:52:17 PM »
Happy Birthday to Wang
Happy Birthday to Wang
Two years on the DL
and not one Zoom or Bang

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #431: March 31, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
He didn't make an error.  That's unusual.

Right.  :thumbs:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #432: March 31, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
Happy Birthday to Wang
Happy Birthday to Wang
Two years on the DL
and not one Zoom or Bang

I got a lot of laughs when I yelled "Chien-ming Wang? I thought he was dead!"

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #433: March 31, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
Happy Birthday to Wang
Happy Birthday to Wang
Two years on the DL
and not one Zoom or Bang

Some guy behind me asked why they had it up on the jumbotron.  Apparently he didn't know he was still with the team...

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #434: March 31, 2011, 05:53:53 PM »
Morse let me down too. I wanted him to have a big homer. 2 K's from your leadoff guy though, come on.

HE'S NOT A LEADOFF HITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WE DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #435: March 31, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »
HE'S NOT A LEADOFF HITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WE DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If LoDuca can play LF, Desmond can try to make contact for 1 game.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #436: March 31, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »

So who's the leadoff man for Saturday?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #437: March 31, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »

same could be said about morse, ankiel, pudge, nix ... but keep telling yourself that  :thumbs:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #438: March 31, 2011, 06:14:37 PM »
same could be said about morse, ankiel, pudge, nix ... but keep telling yourself that  :thumbs:

Pudge needs to retire. He looked near-ridiculous. His knees are so bad he can barely walk. 2 "sacrifices" for him.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #439: March 31, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
Geez how bad is this going to get if the Nationals lose on Saturday?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #440: March 31, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
Werth and Ankiel were great to watch defensively. LaRoche showed why he is at 1B as well.

Desmond at leadoff is fine for now. He just needs to get into a groove. Perhaps if they had actually ditched Nyjer sooner and let Desmond get a Spring to work on hitting leadoff, he may have come into the season a little more used to it. But regardless, he's an overall inexperienced player batting in a bad weather game against a really good pitcher. He needs to be given a chance to see if it works out.

Pudge on the other hand isn't going to be effective playing everyday for a season, so the faster they get to Ramos as the primary guy, the better the lineup will be.

This was a disappointing game, but this team shows promise. And compared to past ODs, they didn't embarrass themselves. The stadium operations did. Once again, ill=prepared vendor stands. I heard some real interesting stories.
 the scoreboard operator (working with what is actually a decent redesign of the scoreboard) couldn't get the stats right for several innings. The big screen announcement for Opening Day said April 2011 (even though it's March).

And the real kicker was the video they ran of the players reciting quotes from presidents: Lincoln, Ike, Nixon, McKinley. But some genius attributed a JFK quote to John F Kennedy, Jr. and got Espinosa to read it that way as well. How do they make a mistake like that? Hilarious.

You'd think they didn't have any time to prepare. :roll:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #441: March 31, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »
LOL. I was wondering what was going on with the stats. At first I thought they were Spring Training stats (although I didn't understand why they would show those) and then I realized that they weren't ST stats. Anyway, some random thoughts:

• It was cold. Still great that baseball is back!
  • Defense and pitching were great. This really looked like a different team in the field from last year.
  • I had pretty nice seats lined up perfectly with home plate. Lowe really seemed to be getting more off the plate than us. Did anyone watching on the television notice one way or the other?
  • I was also amazed at the movement some of these guys get on the ball. Lowe had great run in both directions with the cutter and the sinking fastball. Burnett stood out though, his fastball had crazy bite away from a right hander.
  • I'm not going to freak out about our lineup yet. But with Werth and Zimmerman being our high OBP guys that leaves LaRoche and Morse to hit them in. When they don't come through (like today) we'll be SOL. We'll have to see if they're good enough to get plenty of runs in.
  • Kimbrel was nasty.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #442: March 31, 2011, 07:26:37 PM »
Yeah, Burnett and Kimbrel and somehow Coffey were filthy. Ankiel has great instincts in the outfield. Also, Morse looked good with the glove.

Pudge, seriously, looks like he is done for.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #443: March 31, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »
Yeah, Burnett and Kimbrel and somehow Coffey were filthy. Ankiel has great instincts in the outfield. Also, Morse looked good with the glove.

Pudge, seriously, looks like he is done for.
Cold weather isn't good for arth-a-ritis.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #444: March 31, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
Having a two hour car ride to digest my thoughts... here's what I've come up with.

Defense = solid

Werth = stud in RF and at the plate

Expect a lot more 2-1 losses than the 6-5 of prior seasons. Defense is a lot better... I'm just not seeing much talent on offense.

The ball did not cary at all. I'm positive Ankiel's fly out to RF is gone on a normal game. I think he'll be fine in CF, btw, just not sure he's the type of hitter you want batting 6th regularly.

Happy with the crowd support... though, there was still too many Braves fans there for my liking.

Still don't know WTF Riggleman was thinking pinch hitting Nix instead of Stairs. And so what if they walked Stairs... it would have given your leadoff hitter a shot with a runner on third... isn't that the type of situation you WANT?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #445: March 31, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »
Having a two hour car ride to digest my thoughts... here's what I've come up with.

Defense = solid

Werth = stud in RF and at the plate

Expect a lot more 2-1 losses than the 6-5 of prior seasons. Defense is a lot better... I'm just not seeing much talent on offense.

The ball did not cary at all. I'm positive Ankiel's fly out to RF is gone on a normal game. I think he'll be fine in CF, btw, just not sure he's the type of hitter you want batting 6th regularly.

Happy with the crowd support... though, there was still too many Braves fans there for my liking.

Still don't know WTF Riggleman was thinking pinch hitting Nix instead of Stairs. And so what if they walked Stairs... it would have given your leadoff hitter a shot with a runner on third... isn't that the type of situation you WANT?

At least he didn't double-switch Nix into LF and take out Morse!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #446: March 31, 2011, 07:34:57 PM »
At least he didn't double-switch Nix into LF and take out Morse!

At first, that's why I thought he pinch hit Nix. At least it would have made sense as to why he chose Nix over Stairs... who's only job is to PINCH HIT!!!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #447: March 31, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
Gee the crowd sounds fantastic on the replay.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #448: March 31, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »

IDK. I'd like to think this, but our rotation is so terrible. Terrible rotation, good bullpen, good defense, ?? hitting.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #449: March 31, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
Here's my review:
  • Pudge is done.  It's great that he loves the Nats and has a good time here but it's over with; time to start Ramos or at least give him 80% of the starts from here on out.   I know Pudge wants to get to 3,000 hits but that isn't happening unless he gets back on the juice or has a way to turn back the clock five years.
  • LaRoche had a great catch today that would have sailed past Dunn had he been here at first (and yes, I loved Dunn when he was here).  Still need to see how bad his shoulder is but today he looked great on the D.  The first time I've scored a "bad ass" play in my scorebook for the Nats for the 3 position.
  • Desmond is not a leadoff hitter and should either be put in the two hole or moved down to the six hole.  Unfortunately we don't have anybody with a high OBP that's not a 3-4-5 hitter so this is probably just wishful thinking on my part.  Why we didn't pick up DeJesus this offseason is beyond me.
  • Werth had a great catch and did pretty well at the plate today; let's hope we can still say that in August.
  • The club section, while a bit pricey, is probably going to be my section for next years Season Tickets.  The padded seats alone sealed it for me.
  • The concession situation is still a complete disaster.  For $30-40 I shouldn't have to wait 20 minutes, explain how NatsBucks work, try to pay with my credit card, find out all of the registers at the station are malfunctioning and then have to go to the ATM on Opening Day.  And the Coke Zero shouldn't be flat on the first day of the season.  When you've had six months to plan for this event everything should run seamless; not be a clusterfreak.
  • While we lost, we didn't get embarrassed by piss poor pitching, defensive miscues, or rally killing double plays.  We also weren't sounded by obnoxious scumbag Phillies fans.
  • Two elderly women (~80) in my section stood up and booed very loudly when Vincent Gray got on the mic and called him a "no good scumbag".  Them hi-fiving me and my wife afterward was a bonus.