Author Topic: New Stadium Should Have Retractable Roof!  (Read 3272 times)

gosensgo05

New Stadium Should Have Retractable Roof!
« Topic Start: July 24, 2005, 02:16:28 PM »
So would you consider Safeco Field or Minute Maid Park as domes?  That doesn't make any sense.  A domed stadium is covered permanently; there's a big difference.  

If not a retractable roof stadium, then build an "open" designed ballpark.  The outfield area should have a limited section for bleachers and the giant scoreboard.  The rest should have open space for breezes and air circulation.  

I have been to OPACY during heat waves, but I was never so uncomfortable with the conditions.  That's because OPACY has open passages for wind currents.  RFK Stadium is closed with the circular dimensions and overhang.  That's what excerbates the muggy conditions.  

I also think that the stadium builders should cheat a little by moving the outfield site lines towards the Washington Monument.  Bud Selig would have to sign off on this design.  MLB regulations call for all ball parks to face northeast by east.  

Quote from: "rileyn"
Sounds to me like you are actually calling for a dome.  If we had a retractable roof are you suggesting that we close the roof for a game if it is too hot, even though it is not raining?  If that is the case, I totally disagree.  I assume you would have closed it all this week even though the game times were at 7:05, and it did not rain.  I have been to sticky night games and hot, steamy day games - do I wish it was 75 degrees and breezy all the time?  Of course I do, but that is no reason to build a dome.

Being a native Washingtonian I know that the heat and humidity can be brutal, but this year has been worse than most.  Plus, the new stadium will certainly be more open than RFK thus allowing for air circulation and breezes, etc..,

Just say NO to domes!!!!