Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Watch  (Read 186587 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: The Bryce Harper Watch
« Reply #500: June 01, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
Scott Boras today "No baseball person in his right mind will have the guy catch."

I agree with Boras for once.

has anyone seen his Defensive CS numbers?  they're atrocious, even for JUCO.

Harper is a RF or CF as of the moment we draft him.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #501: June 01, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »
I agree with Boras for once.

has anyone seen his Defensive CS numbers?  they're atrocious, even for JUCO.

Harper is a RF or CF as of the moment we draft him.

Which is fine by me. He's probably athletic enough to be a catcher but I'd probably rather have him play in RF to maintain his health.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #502: June 01, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
If a player qualifies as Type A or B then his current team has to offer arbitration to be eligible to get the compensatory pick(s).  If Dunn is listed as a Type A FA then the Nats have to offer arbitration to get a 1st in return for him if he signs elsewhere.

New info to me thanks.

Id like to see us sign Werth in the offseason and resign Dunn and Hammer for two more years.

As for Bryce, definitely place him in the outfield. Let Norris play catcher.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #503: June 01, 2010, 09:00:52 PM »
New info to me thanks.

Id like to see us sign Werth in the offseason and resign Dunn and Hammer for two more years.

As for Bryce, definitely place him in the outfield. Let Norris play catcher.

That would be just fine.  By the time Hammer and Werth's contracts were running out you'd have Burgess and Harper knocking on the MLB doorsteps.  Not a bad plan at all.  It would potentially cost us our first round pick for Werth (if the Phillies offer arbitration, he's a type A, and we have a top 15 record) but it seems like the kind of move that would be worth it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #504: June 01, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »
That would be just fine.  By the time Hammer and Werth's contracts were running out you'd have Burgess and Harper knocking on the MLB doorsteps.  Not a bad plan at all.  It would potentially cost us our first round pick for Werth (if the Phillies offer arbitration, he's a type A, and we have a top 15 record) but it seems like the kind of move that would be worth it.

Definitely. At that point Id rather have a big bat than a young guy who would take some time to get up here. Would definitely be worth it. Would be cool to see it work out like that. Would be nice to see Burgess and Harper ready by the time Hammer and Werths contracts end. Its nice to think that we have a chance to stay a pretty solid team within the next years. (if everything works out)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #505: June 01, 2010, 09:10:50 PM »
I'm assuming he's going to be at least a Type B.  I think our record will be good enough we would lose the pick.  My preferred track would be to extend Hammer and Dunn, try to trade for Oswalt, and go for Werth in the offseason.

You don't lose a pick for type B anymore.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #506: June 01, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »
You don't lose a pick for type B anymore.

That's right, it's just a sandwich pick added for the team he leaves.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #507: June 01, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
draft him monday, sign him tuesday, have him debut wednesday night and play RF 8)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #508: June 01, 2010, 11:51:31 PM »
Which is fine by me. He's probably athletic enough to be a catcher but I'd probably rather have him play in RF to maintain his health.

RF or 1B.

Offline imref

« Reply #509: June 01, 2010, 11:52:09 PM »
Harper's at it again.  3-4 with a 2B, 2 HRs, and 8 RBIs.  The double and the second homer were to left, and the first homer was to right.  All three hits were with two outs.  CSN leads 11-5 in the sixth inning. 

Harper has 31 homers and 98 RBIs in 64 1/2 games, actually less if you factor in the innings he lost for being ejected and for only playing 7 inning double headers most of the year.  In 6 1/2 games with a metal bat he has 8 homers and 30 RBIs.

If CSN wins tonight, they play #1 San Jacinto tomorrow.  They would be the last two undefeated teams.  San Jacinto features 2009 Nat's fifth rounder Miguel Pena.  He's a lefty pitcher that had an awesome season.  He had an ERA under two and yesterday, gave up only two earned runs in 8 innings with 13 Ks.

do we still have his rights? 

Offline imref

« Reply #510: June 01, 2010, 11:52:43 PM »
draft him monday, sign him tuesday, have him debut wednesday night and play RF 8)

for potomac, they need some love after leading folks to believe Strasburg would start there.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #511: June 02, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »
If you do move Harper to the OF, then he starts in CF and moves to a corner if he can't handle it.  Morgan isn't a spring chicken, and to have that kind of bat in CF, it is like Hamilton / Andruuw Jones in their prime.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #512: June 02, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
Nah, I think you put him in RF. Out there he can possibly win the Gold Glove very soon and be able to really bulk up and start smashing the ball instead of keeping his weight down to remain a Gold Glove in CF.

It's been said before the only negative about him may end up him getting to big, like Joe Mauer or Adam Dunn, and be slowed down. He could survive in RF if he was a bigger guy since he has such good wheels.

They just now even said on Baseball Tonight the Nationals will probably put him in RF.

Regardless, a beautiful problem to have!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #513: June 02, 2010, 08:57:17 PM »
I don't believe in moving a middle of diamond athlete to a corner until they show they can't hold the position.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #514: June 02, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »
@BNightengale: #mlb Bryce Harper just got ejected from his first tournament game, arguing a called third strike.

This kid is so immature. :panic:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #515: June 02, 2010, 11:15:14 PM »
This kid is so immature. :panic:

I'd prefer he not get thrown out... but I'm getting used to the fact that mega talents sometimes have mega attitudes.

Offline imref

« Reply #516: June 03, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
that's it, his amateur career is over - getting thrown out draws an automatic 2-game suspension.

Time to get ready for Potomac Mr. Harper.

btw, reports say he used his bat to draw a line in the dirt to show the ump where the ball went.  Nice.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #517: June 03, 2010, 01:05:16 AM »
He was just being helpful! :)

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #518: June 03, 2010, 07:44:35 AM »
I don't understand this line of thinking, that Bryce Harper is too "valuable" a hitter to leave at catcher. What about: Mike Piazza, Jorge Posada, Johnny Bench, Buster Posey, Joe Mauer, Carlos Santana, Jesus Montero, Matt Weiters, etc?

These are all plus to plus-plus bats that were left at catcher (despite varying defensive ability) because...THAT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH POTENTIALLY GREAT-HITTING CATCHERS!

They're simply so rare you can't afford to move this kid off catcher before even trying to see if he can play there. You can go out any offseason and sign someone like Jayson Werth to be a plus-hitting RF. When was the last time a truly great hitting catcher was available in free agency? Piazza never was (traded twice), Posada never has been, and Mauer probably never will be (by the time this contract ends he probably won't be playing catcher anymore).

Also, Harper's caught stealing numbers are supposedly as much do to the inability of his pitchers to hold runners on and get the ball to home plate in a decent time, as to his inability to throw accurately, from what some scouts are saying.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #519: June 03, 2010, 08:05:36 AM »
It would be one thing if people we projecting this kid to be Albert Pujols, a guy who could be a perennial .320/.450/.600 type player. But scouts are saying he has a fairly long swing and might have a little trouble making contact once he starts seeing major league breaking balls. So if we're looking at more of a slightly better Adam Dunn, or a Mike Stanton (in current prospect terms) - a guy with tremendous power who has some patience but won't hit for a great average - what's the point of eliminating a ton of value by moving that prospect to RF before seeing if he can catch?

Let's say he's projected as, roughly, a .275/.375/.550 type hitter.

Well there have been 65 outfielder seasons since 2000 that meet that criteria. Great player, but not exactly rare. Outfielders reaching those levels for an entire season include Trot Nixon, J.D. Drew, Jason Bay, Cliff Floyd, and Carlos Quentin.

There have been 3 CATCHER SEASONS since 2000 that meet that criteria. Mike Piazza in 2000 and 2001 and Joe Mauer in 2009.

By moving him (under this projection) you're saying, let's move him to a position where the same production is top-5 OF level production instead of potentially HOF catcher level production.

Obviously a lot can happen, and maybe he ends up not being able to catch at all. But I agree with everyone else who says the reward is definitely worth keeping him at catcher until he forces you to move him off.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #520: June 03, 2010, 09:08:56 AM »
NJ Ave gets +1.  Right field would be a short term, panic move.   

Offline jRight

« Reply #521: June 03, 2010, 03:27:17 PM »
Is there any chance that the Nat have already settled on a contract with Boras, base you Stras deal last year and Harper being unproven. I would like to see a 8-10 mil. contract signed the 8th at nats town. before or after Stras first game. Then Harper could go right to the minors with CSN season is over.

One can Dream.

« Reply #522: June 03, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »
Is there any chance that the Nat have already settled on a contract with Boras, base you Stras deal last year and Harper being unproven. I would like to see a 8-10 mil. contract signed the 8th at nats town. before or after Stras first game. Then Harper could go right to the minors with CSN season is over.

One can Dream.

It is a good dream.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #523: June 03, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »

One can Dream.
No.  That's just not how Boras does things.  If he had Storen's agent and attitude, it might happen, but ALL of Boras's big clients the past few years at least have gone to the deadline.

Offline imref

« Reply #524: June 03, 2010, 09:29:04 PM »
#1's:

David Price in 2007  (we got Detwiller) - Heyward went 14th.

Tim Beckham in 2008 (we took Aaron Crow who turned into Drew Storen) - Beckham is batting .275 at High A with 5 HRs

Hard to say that Strasburg > Price, way too soon to tell.

On paper, Harper > Beckham.