Author Topic: General Offense Discussion  (Read 25387 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: General Offense Discussion
« Reply #225: April 30, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »
I'd take both. Willingham was a free agent this past year. I wish we had known of a Morse injury or something.

Our response to his request for an extension was a trade- I doubt willingham would have returned unless he had no other options

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #226: April 30, 2012, 08:57:22 AM »
I say this of clear, unpanicked mind;

Bryce Harper needs to be hitting third Tuesday. Put AdaMVP LaRoche behind him in the order. LaRoche is a swinging a great bat right now and there is no way anyone can pitch around Bryce (or anyone) with Adam LaRoche behind him. I think Bryce gets some pitches in the zone he is ready to unload. If he gets on even to first then he has the speed to score if LaRoche even doubles.

We have a budding superstar on our hands. He isn't a complete stud yet, but at the very least we knows he has big time power. We have to keep the bat in his hands. I almost screamed in anger today when our runner took second while Bryce was batting today. How stupid can you be? Of course they would give Bryce nothing to hit at that.

You keep the bat in the hands of your best players. Put Bryce in the #3 hole, or even #2 infront of Werth, and let him swing that freaking stick.

We gotta start scoring.

Harper isn't close to our best hitter. Some people take 2 game sample sizes way too seriously. I guarantee you he won't finish the season hitting above .250

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #227: April 30, 2012, 09:01:20 AM »
Harper isn't close to our best hitter. Some people take 2 game sample sizes way too seriously. I guarantee you he won't finish the season hitting above .250

He's gonna hit above .250.  We should get a poll on this

Offline Coladar

« Reply #228: April 30, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »

Yeah, he finishes above that mark easy. I would be shocked if he is below .260 at seasons end. Shocked.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #229: April 30, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »
I doubt he hits .250 either, but without Zimm and Morse, he probably needs to bat cleanup.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #230: April 30, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »
There is no quick fix for this offense. Certainly not now. Probably not all season. Our top two hitters are out. I'm pretty sure that if you took the top two hitters out of 80% of MLB's lineups, those teams would be abysmal too. Imagine the Tigers without Prince and Cabrerra. Does anyone really think they're a good club?

We're going to struggle. Yes, our middle infielders are woeful at the plate. But there isn't someone available, nor will there likely be anyone available, who can fix it.

However, if you still want to go that route, keep rooting for the Red Sox and Marlins to lose and have a fire sale. I'd love for Dustin Pedroia to be hitting here :D

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #231: April 30, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
Yeah, he finishes above that mark easy. I would be shocked if he is below .260 at seasons end. Shocked.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #232: April 30, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
I know he's not everyone's favorite player right now... but I really do think Ramos needs to get moved up a lot higher in the lineup.

He's got the third highest OPS of all the starters right now outside of LaRoche and Werth.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #233: April 30, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »
I know he's not everyone's favorite player right now... but I really do think Ramos needs to get moved up a lot higher in the lineup.

He's got the third highest OPS of all the starters right now outside of LaRoche and Werth.

with this team's screwed up logic (i.e. desmond wants to hit lead off so we'll put him there even though he's incapable of hitting lead off), the fact that Ramos is a good 8 hitter means he should hit there (even though he'd be more valuable anywhere else in the lineup)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #234: April 30, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »

I agree. The lineup needs to be tailored to our strong points, the very few that we have. That means Werth, LaRoche, Harper, and Ramos should be batting consecutively. Then as our injured players come back, they adjust accordingly.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #235: April 30, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
Trade Espinosa/Desmond, Hood, Ray and Stammen for Dustin Pedroia

Problem solved

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #236: April 30, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »
Nady's OPS is .364.  He is slugging .204.  He bat fifth yesterday I think.

:spaz:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #237: April 30, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »
Trade Espinosa/Desmond, Hood, Ray and Stammen for Dustin Pedroia

Problem solved

This is a joke I guess?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #238: April 30, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
This is a joke I guess?

Meh, wishful thinking. I'm kind of hoping that the Red Sox continue their downward spiral and decide to do a firesale. Ellsbury and Pedroia are really the only two guys on that team that they could move. Everyone else costs too much.

That package could also be used on Hanley Ramirez, if he returns to form

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #239: April 30, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »
Meh, wishful thinking. I'm kind of hoping that the Red Sox continue their downward spiral and decide to do a firesale. Ellsbury and Pedroia are really the only two guys on that team that they could move. Everyone else costs too much.

That package could also be used on Hanley Ramirez, if he returns to form

I'm still bitter they signed Adrian Gonzalez to a long contract.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #240: April 30, 2012, 11:21:11 AM »
AGon  :az:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #241: April 30, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
Runs scored through 22 games

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #242: April 30, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »

:spaz:

that's atrocious

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #243: April 30, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
How is Lombo making more than Bernie?

and you wonder why we have Nady and not Damon. . .

Offline blue911

« Reply #244: April 30, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »
How is Lombo making more than Bernie?

and you wonder why we have Nady and not Damon. . .

Maybe cause Johnny didn't want to learn a new league?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #245: April 30, 2012, 02:56:52 PM »

How do you calculate that? Is is public?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #246: April 30, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »
I just used the team batting game logs on baseball reference.  You can add them up over any given range by clicking on two points.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #247: April 30, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »
How do you calculate that? Is is public?

Baseball Reference should have it.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #248: April 30, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »
Nice. I've been been playing MLB the show 2011 so it will be fun to compare.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #249: April 30, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »
Just ate lunch reading the (Newark) Star-Ledger. A glance at the Muts batting made me wince. I had wonderd if current pitchers might just be too far ahead of hitters. Even with the lowered mound and the smaller strike zone, the variety of hard breaking pitches -- split-fingered fb, cutter etc -- must be tougher on the hitters.

Then I looked at the Mets box score...Wright is hitting about .396, the rookie CF, Niewunhuis, is about .350...I think Ike Davis is the only guy who has a Nats-like average, and he went 3-for-6 yesterday. And I thought the Muts were weak.

Across the page, a columnist was explaining that the Yankees hit so much that they don't need better than mediocre pitching. Just pitch 5 innings and give up 5 runs, and the Yankees hitting will wear out the opposition.

Ugh. Is it against the Law (Vernon or Vance) for the Nats to hit like other major league teams?