Author Topic: Mike Wise’s radio show ends  (Read 3031 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Mike Wise’s radio show ends
« Reply #25: December 18, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »
:clap:  spot on

do you prefer kevin and Thom reiterating the same sports cliches every day? I like to have a radio on in the background, I like talk more than music and I don't like political talk (right or left), that means Tony + NPR

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #26: December 18, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »
The only time I listen to the radio is on the day after a Redskins game or en route to the game. I've heard Kornheiser come on to comment on the game and admit that he didn't even watch the game because he was watching golf.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: December 18, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »
he admits it- he's a casual sports fan. As a result, on his radio show (unlike pti) he brings in guests who know what they're talking about and defers to them or he talks about local teams from the prospective of a fan not an expert. I'll take that over other hosts talking in black/white, right/wrong terms acting like they somehow know more than most fans (even though they just watch the games on tv like everyone else) and who just spew the same crap over and over

Offline spidernat

« Reply #28: December 18, 2012, 08:50:45 AM »
He's the Chico Harlan of national sports coverage.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #29: December 18, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »
Holden and Danny FTW :clap:

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #30: December 18, 2012, 09:13:06 AM »
Holden and Danny FTW :clap:
They're  on today as a one-day replacement for the Junkies.

Holden Kushner            Danny Rouhier

Lavar and Dukes would regularly call their own Grant Paulsen as a guest to provide insight about the Nationals.  After the Nationals' afternoon playoff game, Lavar and Dukes had 40 minutes left to do their show.  They hung up on a caller who began by saying "RG3."  Lavar admitted that he didn't care about baseball until the 2012 Nationals came along, when he became a fan of the team.  But he repeatedly insisted that the Nationals would be the bigger story if they made the playoffs.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #31: December 18, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »
Lavar and Dukes and the Sports Junkies are like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Listening to John Thompson was like watching (listening to?) grass grow.

I don't mind Kornheiser and Wise wasn't bad either.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #32: December 18, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »
I've heard Kornheiser come on to comment on the game and admit that he didn't even watch the game because he was watching golf.

I'm not just being a smart-ass when I say that's kind of like how he's been getting the same criticisms for 3 decades because they're endlessly parroted by people that don't listen to him.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #33: December 18, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
I'm not just being a smart-ass when I say that's kind of like how he's been getting the same criticisms for 3 decades because they're endlessly parroted by people that don't listen to him.

Except I've actually heard him say it this season when he came on a morning show (which he does every week after a Redskins game). He gets crap wrong all the time because the people doing his research don't do it well. He used to be on Redskins Report with George Michael and all he really did was (ironically) parrot sports cliches and pass them off as insight. That's almost exactly what Wise does on the radio and on Redskins Sidelines which is Redskins Report with a different name. Let's not forget about how abominable he was on MNF. Also, it's not like I've never heard his show. I used to listen to his show about a decade ago and got tired of it. Recently I heard parts of his show (twice) and it's no different than it was a decade ago.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #34: December 18, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »
If you're listening to Tony for anything other than the funny ramblings of a rapidly aging man, you're listening for the wrong reasons. I probably appreciate it because I'm middle-aged. I'll be that ridiculous in 10 years.

Oh, and he knows old school basketball. Really old school. I mean 50s-80s. And like others said, great guests.

Except I've actually heard him say it this season when he came on a morning show (which he does every week after a Redskins game). He gets crap wrong all the time because the people doing his research don't do it well. He used to be on Redskins Report with George Michael and all he really did was (ironically) parrot sports cliches and pass them off as insight. That's almost exactly what Wise does on the radio and on Redskins Sidelines which is Redskins Report with a different name. Let's not forget about how abominable he was on MNF. Also, it's not like I've never heard his show. I used to listen to his show about a decade ago and got tired of it. Recently I heard parts of his show (twice) and it's no different than it was a decade ago.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #35: December 18, 2012, 02:59:15 PM »
If you're listening to Tony for anything other than the funny ramblings of a rapidly aging man, you're listening for the wrong reasons. I probably appreciate it because I'm middle-aged. I'll be that ridiculous in 10 years.

Bingo.  I think he annoys a lot of people that don't realize how tongue in cheek he is in that regard too.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #36: December 18, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
I liked Kornheiser's show pre PTI. 

I really think the turning point was Monday Night Football. Before that, I though he was fabulous, going back perhaps 20 years. When he got the Monday Night gig, he took leave of his show, and when Monday Night didn't work out he came back, and he has never returned to form.   

As for PTI,  I hate it. Not because of Kornheiser but because of that idiot partner.  Wilbon is pure moron.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: December 18, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
Wilbon and wise are somewhat similar, each worked in DC,  and both want to be elsewhere

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #38: December 18, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »
do you prefer kevin and Thom reiterating the same sports cliches every day? I like to have a radio on in the background, I like talk more than music and I don't like political talk (right or left), that means Tony + NPR

Yes. Wise was turrible

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #39: December 18, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
Yes. Wise was turrible

the comparison was to tony, i'd take This American Life (which to me is about the worst thing on radio) over wise

Offline Ray D

« Reply #40: December 18, 2012, 03:59:48 PM »

As for PTI,  I hate it. Not because of Kornheiser but because of that idiot partner.  Wilbon is pure moron.

Oh, I should add: I hate it also because of that imbecile host. (I haven't the faintest idea what his name is.)

Offline grizzly

« Reply #41: December 18, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »
he admits it- he's a casual sports fan. As a result, on his radio show (unlike pti) he brings in guests who know what they're talking about and defers to them or he talks about local teams from the prospective of a fan not an expert. I'll take that over other hosts talking in black/white, right/wrong terms acting like they somehow know more than most fans (even though they just watch the games on tv like everyone else) and who just spew the same crap over and over

100% SPOT ON.

He has great guests, he doesn't pretend to know what he's talking about, he's witty and sarcastic and most importantly he typically has an insightful perspective on stale topics.

So much more enjoyable than Dukes, Lavar, Junks, etc..

Chad Dukes has the insight of a self righteous, middle school bully with an inferiority complex.

Offline natspride

« Reply #42: December 18, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »
Wilbon and wise are somewhat similar, each worked in DC,  and both want to be elsewhere

Gotta disagree with you there.

Wise LOVES DC.

Wilbon? Not so much.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #43: December 18, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »

Chad Dukes has the insight of a self righteous, middle school bully with an inferiority complex.

I very much agree with this.  The little I've listened to Chad and Lavar, when I have listened, I think of him as this guy (the little one) -

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #44: December 18, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »
Chad Dukes blocked me on twitter for criticizing him not even mentioning the Prince Fielder rumors on his five hour show when they were really heating up.  I wear it as a badge of honor.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #45: December 18, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »
I very much agree with this.  The little I've listened to Chad and Lavar, when I have listened, I think of him as this guy (the little one) -

(Image removed from quote.)

He actually looks like that only fat.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #46: December 18, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »
Ira Glass is a whiney little nag. 
This American Life (which to me is about the worst thing on radio) over wise