Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 157947 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #50: April 07, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
Not at all. If your choice is beer versus sewer water. Beer is safer period.

They also were not so good at the whole science thing back then. People used to travel with a wineskin for the same reason.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #51: April 07, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »
So sad about the Miller monopoly at Nats Park. I'll just have drown my sorrows at the Savor beer tasting May 16-17.
http://www.beertown.org/events/SAVOR/index.html

Offline Dave B

« Reply #52: April 07, 2008, 02:05:19 PM »
Not at all. If your choice is beer versus sewer water. Beer is safer period.

Yeah well, if you only can choose between sewer water and beer, you are ultimately screwed either way.  Beer is not a replacement for water

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #53: April 07, 2008, 02:14:09 PM »
Yeah well, if you only can choose between sewer water and beer, you are ultimately screwed either way.  Beer is not a replacement for water

Beer is definitely a better way to go, however.

Online blue911

« Reply #54: April 07, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »

You have to remember in the early middle ages you'd probably die from the plague anyway. So you might as well have a couple of Stella's and a pint of Guiness to see you on your way.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #55: April 07, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »
It was for the pilgrims sailing to North America on the Mayflower.  Men, women, and children all drank beer:

Beer was a dietary mainstay in those days. Chances are the beverage in question was "ship's beer," a not-very-alcoholic concoction that, along with the even weaker "small beer," was drunk in formidable quantities during the colonial era (upwards of a quart per day seems to have been a typical ration). Undoubtedly an advantage was that, unlike more perishable foodstuffs, ship's beer would keep during long voyages and, having been boiled, was likely purer than ordinary water.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/051125.html

Offline saltydad

« Reply #56: April 07, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »
You have to remember in the early middle ages you'd probably die from the plague anyway. So you might as well have a couple of Stella's and a pint of Guiness to see you on your way.

Weren't they drinking mead back then? Has anyone had mead?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #57: April 07, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »
Weren't they drinking mead back then? Has anyone had mead?

I have a bottle I have been saving for a special occasion. It was special designed to be consumed with Ethiopian food, brewed  with a certain restaurant in mind. Kind of hard to find Ethopian take out around here, though.

« Reply #58: April 07, 2008, 04:08:22 PM »
Wouldn't mind trying mead.  Where would one get a bottle?

Online blue911

« Reply #59: April 07, 2008, 04:08:39 PM »
Mead is a honey & yeast concoction which sounds dreadful. Beer was the plebian drink while wine was the beverage of the noble class.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #60: April 07, 2008, 04:11:04 PM »
http://www.meadery.com/ - tried to stop there once but it was closed - seemed cool. Don't remember which winery I got mine from

Realized that could be a bit far for you - also www.totalbeverage.net

Offline Why Not?

« Reply #61: April 07, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »

In 1538.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #62: April 07, 2008, 11:14:29 PM »

Brickskeller or RFD

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #63: April 07, 2008, 11:36:32 PM »
The Ethiopian stuff ("tej") seems a lot stronger to me...mead is more watery.  I'm not nuts about either, and nor are the Ethiopians as far as I can tell (they all seem to favour Becks with their injera and doro wat, around here anyways).  Medieval peasants would probably have stuck to Becks as well, though with no teeth, they would have had to have cracked the caps with their matted hair. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #64: April 08, 2008, 07:38:27 AM »
Thanks for your insight here, as well as all the interest by other fans on this issue of poor beer selection at Nationals Park.

So what do we do from here to get this problem corrected and get more variety in beer selection at the ballgames ?

While it would be easy to stop buying any beer at the games, the better solution in my eyes is to write to the Nationals and get them to change this.  They probably could put in another vendor or more selection every 4th or 5th beer stand without violating the current agreement with Millar Brewing.  So would all the WNFF readers please write to the Nationals (see their website) or call (202) 675-6287, option zero to speak with the receptionist ???

Mathguy, my Anheiser Busch source confirmed this is correct.  According to her, Miller has 75% of the beer concession in the park, which gives them marketing rights they can use to preclude a lot of competition.  Anheiser Busch is a major sponsor of the Olympics this year, which limited their ability to muscle in on the new Park.  Miller effectively blocked Cap Cities by prohibiting signage aside from on the taps, and Cap Cities wouldn't bend that far.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #65: April 08, 2008, 08:13:31 AM »

So what do we do from here to get this problem corrected and get more variety in beer selection at the ballgames ?

Petition to bring your own. You can bring any beer as long as the Nats don't sell it

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #66: April 08, 2008, 08:17:45 AM »
Petition to bring your own. You can bring any beer as long as the Nats don't sell it

You used to be able to bring your own beer to Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.  No bottles or cans, so you had to pour it into a cooler.  Tended to go flat by the 4th inning, not to mention get warm, but it was cheap.

Online blue911

« Reply #67: April 08, 2008, 09:11:12 AM »
You used to be able to bring your own beer to Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.  No bottles or cans, so you had to pour it into a cooler.  Tended to go flat by the 4th inning, not to mention get warm, but it was cheap.

How would you know it went flat?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #68: April 08, 2008, 09:45:41 AM »
How would you know it went flat?

It got harder and harder to work up a good belch.

Online blue911

« Reply #69: April 08, 2008, 09:47:45 AM »
It got harder and harder to work up a good belch.

I didn't think you would/could let beer go flat :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #70: April 08, 2008, 09:51:46 AM »
I didn't think you would/could let beer go flat :)

Quantity my friend, quantity.  If the beer were fully consumed while still optimal, that would be evidence of inadequate supplies.  Those round igloo coolers with the spout on the side could hold a nice quantity, but did not excel at insulation.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #71: April 08, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »
Quantity my friend, quantity.  If the beer were fully consumed while still optimal, that would be evidence of inadequate supplies.  Those round igloo coolers with the spout on the side could hold a nice quantity, but did not excel at insulation.

Is a keg a cooler?

Online blue911

« Reply #72: April 08, 2008, 09:55:33 AM »

I went to a game in the mid-eighties where I sat beside two elderly brothers. One had been retired for "about 5 seasons" and the other had just retired. The old pro  was showing his brother the ropes. One of the tricks was to put 4 (not 3,not 5) ice cubes in your igloo to keep the beer cold.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #73: April 08, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
I went to a game in the mid-eighties where I sat beside two elderly brothers. One had been retired for "about 5 seasons" and the other had just retired. The old pro  was showing his brother the ropes. One of the tricks was to put 4 (not 3,not 5) ice cubes in your igloo to keep the beer cold.

Of course, dilution (from melting ice) is an adverse consequence of such a strategy.

In Birchmere v.2 (v.3 is the current venue) the beer never seemed to be quite cold enough.  However, it was standard for them to bring you a glass of ice, that you would drop in the pitcher to keep the remaining beer cold, and avoid the dilution issue as well.    :worship:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #74: April 08, 2008, 10:31:11 AM »
Of course, dilution (from melting ice) is an adverse consequence of such a strategy.

In Birchmere v.2 (v.3 is the current venue) the beer never seemed to be quite cold enough.  However, it was standard for them to bring you a glass of ice, that you would drop in the pitcher to keep the remaining beer cold, and avoid the dilution issue as well.    :worship:

At Hooters, they put the ice in a bag, then put it in your pitcher - pretty clever. I think they also give you less beer that way.