Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 417210 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #600: August 08, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »
I would hope some of you new guys would make it down to the pregame reception at Nats Park on Aug 29.  I've met a number of the posters here, and find it a real pleasure to put the faces with the nicknames, not to mention have a ready pool of folks to hang out with at the Loft.    :P :glug: :glug:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #601: August 09, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »
I would hope some of you new guys would make it down to the pregame reception at Nats Park on Aug 29.  I've met a number of the posters here, and find it a real pleasure to put the faces with the nicknames, not to mention have a ready pool of folks to hang out with at the Loft.    :P :glug: :glug:

Btw, my son is coming in for a week's visit, and we're planning on going to the LA Dodgers game on Tuesday evening, 8/26. So if anyone is around, stop by the Loft before the game and say hi! Tom- if you're going to be there, let me know so I can bring your TFH's.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #602: August 09, 2008, 10:40:16 PM »
Salty, I won't be able to make it that day, but hope you can make it to the 29th special event.  Of course your son would be more than welcome!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #603: August 10, 2008, 05:01:24 AM »
He leaves here for his Mom's family in Baltimore on the 27th. What's the special event?

edit- OK, I just found the other thread and signed on.

Offline buster

« Reply #604: August 10, 2008, 09:25:27 PM »
hello all.  buster here.

have been at BPG's since 2005, but late last season, my user name/password was mysteriously disabled and I was unable post :evil:.  I got no response from several emails to the board moderators, so I've been a message board orphan for all of 2008 :(.  I suspect my criticism of Chad Cordero and his propensity to blow leads caused a board dismissal, but that's just a guess.

in any event, I tend to lurk more than I post...but don't hold me to it.

I'm in the tank for Manny.  I had been too for the Lerners, Jimbo & Stan, and generally prefer the patient team-building approach, but was a bit dismayed at the litigation against the city and some of the more recent personnel moves. 

my first DC game was August 1971  :shock:, when Blue Moon Odem and the F'in A's defeated Carlos Ortega at RFK. 

thanks for having me  8)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #605: August 10, 2008, 10:12:10 PM »
Buster, you'll have no problem posting opinions here, even ones so radical as the thought that Chad doesn't walk on water.    :roll:

We hear a rumor that BPG is soon going to be terminated, but have no idea why.  No matter, you've found a good place to be, welcome.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #606: August 10, 2008, 10:15:22 PM »
I think we have Brian NFA to thank for some new members with a strong minor league interest. The board plugs are appreciated  :thumbs:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #607: August 10, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »
I think we have Brian NFA to thank for some new members with a strong minor league interest. The board plugs are appreciated  :thumbs:

Absolutely.  It would be great if Brian could make the "bloggers night" at Nats Park on Aug 29.  The Chief is going to be there, along with a great many board posters, and at least a couple more folks with substantial Nats blogs.

Offline EmpireNat

• Hit 'em Hard
« Reply #608: August 16, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »
I feel i almost need to reintroduce myself!

I posted pretty regularly earlier in the season, but have stopped recently not because this team sucks (although it does), but because i had my exams, and thanks to all of the hard work i secured my place in the university of york (over here in the UK) after some good grades!

Now I shall be back frequently, can somebody tell me why we seem to have roughly the same amount of wins as 3 monthd ago!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #609: August 16, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »
I was wondering where you'd been. Welcome back.

can somebody tell me why we seem to have roughly the same amount of wins as 3 monthd ago!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Because we are the Linda Lovelace of MLB.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #610: August 16, 2008, 06:48:56 PM »
Hey Buster,

My first game was in 69 but I really don't remember details other than Dad teaching me to keep score. 

RFK litterally rocked with WE WANT A HIT!.  I try it now and then at NATS park.  Some times it works and other people yell.  Sometimes not. 

Too bad it was August of 71.  At least I had a few good years as a SENATORS fan!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #611: August 21, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »
Attention all WNFF members:

I have recruited a person to join the board.  Now the news that, I'm sure, is going to alarm you:  he's a Mets fan.

Now, I know the reaction that jumps to mind when you think "Mets fan;" but this is an abnormally rational Mets fan.  He's actually a much bigger hockey fan than baseball, but he played baseball in hgh school and has been a fan of the Mets since he started watching in the 80's. 

We have an opportunity here that I don't think we should pass up.  He is likely to "adopt" the Nats in some capacity so let's try to treat him nicely when he arrives.  He asked me to e-mail him the link to the site today and he said when he gets home tonight he'll check it out.  I'm guessing he'll register under the name "Let's Go Tech" and he'll have some sort of Clarkson University logo for an avatar (or a shark eating someone or a photo of Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters or something....).  Blue911 can vouch for him as well from another forum we were on that went defunct.

Also, I'm guessing his cynicism will match up well with Nat of the Living Dead.

Please be kind....

Sincerely,

Minty

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #612: August 21, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »
DID SOMEBODY SAY METS??? BOOOOOOO!!!

Just kidding, bring 'em on over.  Most of us don't bite, much :lol:

Online blue911

« Reply #613: August 21, 2008, 04:14:59 PM »
Attention all WNFF members:

I have recruited a person to join the board.  Now the news that, I'm sure, is going to alarm you:  he's a Mets fan.

Now, I know the reaction that jumps to mind when you think "Mets fan;" but this is an abnormally rational Mets fan.  He's actually a much bigger hockey fan than baseball, but he played baseball in hgh school and has been a fan of the Mets since he started watching in the 80's. 

We have an opportunity here that I don't think we should pass up.  He is likely to "adopt" the Nats in some capacity so let's try to treat him nicely when he arrives.  He asked me to e-mail him the link to the site today and he said when he gets home tonight he'll check it out.  I'm guessing he'll register under the name "Let's Go Tech" and he'll have some sort of Clarkson University logo for an avatar (or a shark eating someone or a photo of Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters or something....).  Blue911 can vouch for him as well from another forum we were on that went defunct.

Also, I'm guessing his cynicism will match up well with Nat of the Living Dead.

Please be kind....

Sincerely,

Minty

I don't know how that would help anybody.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #614: August 21, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »

We have an opportunity here that I don't think we should pass up.  He is likely to "adopt" the Nats in some capacity so let's try to treat him nicely when he arrives.

If you want to swim in shark infested waters you better be able to handle a bite from time to time. I don't completely share the hatred for the Mets that some of our posters have but I happen to dislike all opposing teams and their fans so I'll treat him accordingly. As for "adopting" the Nats, that sounds like an insult to the Nationals and his Mets. I don't think any of us here will be considering "adopting" the Mets any time soon.

Online blue911

« Reply #615: August 21, 2008, 04:32:29 PM »
If you want to swim in shark infested waters you better be able to handle a bite from time to time. I don't completely share the hatred for the Mets that some of our posters have but I happen to dislike all opposing teams and their fans so I'll treat him accordingly. As for "adopting" the Nats, that sounds like an insult to the Nationals and his Mets. I don't think any of us here will be considering "adopting" the Mets any time soon.

I'd "adopt" the Mets in a Joan Crawford/Mommy Dearest way.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #616: August 21, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »
If the Nats were sharks, they'd be Nurse Sharks.

Online blue911

« Reply #617: August 21, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »
If the Nats were sharks, they'd be Nurse Sharks.

I thought he meant this type of Shark

LetsGoTech

« Reply #618: August 21, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »
Wow...a lot of activity, and all about lil 'ol me?  Guys, don't you know the problem is that New Yorkers ALREADY think they're the center of the universe?

Anywho, I am that weird friend that Minty Fresh referred to.  Allow me to now get a few things out of the way:

1.  Yes, we choked last year in what shall stand for some time as the greatest choke job in history.  (Though, y'know, you guys could have beat Philly for us...I mean, what did they ever do for you?  It was like you said, "Hey, Philadelphia's in town...Lopez...can you pitch?"  "Twice as good as I hit and field, coach!"  "Two times zero is still zero, Felipe, but hey, you can't cause any more damage on the mound than you do in the field!")

2.  I already own the copyright on "Meet the Mets, meet the Mets, step right up and beat the Mets...", so if you use that one, I'll expect my royalty check.

3.  I've no particular hatred for the Nats, Expos, the District of Columbia, or anyone therein.  I'm what you call a NORMAL Mets fan.

4.  Minty has had the notion that I would adopt the Nats for some time.  It hasn't happened yet.  I wouldn't hold my breath.  I cheer for the Nats when they A.) aren't playing the Mets and B.) are behind the Mets in the standings.  (And even then, I kind of cheer for them, because SOMEONE should be happy with their team...)

5.  Proof that there are no baseball gods can be found in this phrase:  "Barry Bonds is baseball's new home run king."

6.  Yes, we're like the Yankees and the Red Sox, except we're not as good at buying championships as they are.  Yes, we're like the Cubs, except I don't demand fans of other teams to root for mine just because we haven't won a championship since the Reagan administration.  Yes, the Braves had our number for the entirety of the 90's, and for that matter, I still get the shakes when we have a series against them, and consider taking one game out of four from them "a moral victory."

That's basically it.  Have at it, boys, but do remember to tell me something I don't already know, eh?

LGT

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #619: August 21, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »
Lets Go Tech - Where's Clarkson Tech?

What do you think about Shea's last season and the new ballpark? 

LetsGoTech

« Reply #620: August 22, 2008, 07:17:06 AM »
It's actually Clarkson University now.  It used to be Clarkson Institute of Technology, but they changed a ways back.  In spite of that, the chant of "Let's Go Tech!" fills Cheel Arena every hockey season.

Clarkson is located in Potsdam, NY, about a 45-minute drive from Montreal.  It's actually NORTH of Lake Placid and Adirondack State Park. 

My feelings on Shea are, well, the expression a lot of Mets fans are using is "It may have been a dump, but it was OUR dump..."  There definitely are memories there, but I'm very excited to see Citi Field open.  (Even if I think "Citi Field" is a really dumb name for a ballpark...) 

Oh, by the way...nice way to welcome me to the board last night!  Beat Philly, and Ayala gets the win for us??  What were the odds? 

LGT

Online blue911

« Reply #621: August 22, 2008, 08:54:26 AM »
I perfer to think of Mets fans as wayward members of the Cargo Cult. Welcome aboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Offline balzig777

« Reply #622: October 25, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »
hey yall, I've posted once or twice on the other thingy, and just found this forum so... I'm balzig777 from cali, looking foward to a great year for the nats!!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #623: October 25, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
hey yall, I've posted once or twice on the other thingy, and just found this forum so... I'm balzig777 from cali, looking foward to a great year for the nats!!

balzig, glad to see you made it to the "other" side.   :clap:

Let Chief know if you want access to the more uninhibited areas of the forum.   :shock:  But if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.    ;)

hisownfool

« Reply #624: November 22, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »
I'm new here (obviously), although I've lurked for a few months. I've been a partial season ticket holder since baseball returned to DC. (I was at opening night in 2005.) I live in Alexandria and as I wrote in another thread, I just traded a smaller stake in some expensive club seats for a pair of 21-game plan (B) tickets in a less-expensive area.

I'm a refugee of sorts from another board that, frankly, got way too vulgar and sophomoric to be enjoyable. I want to talk about baseball in general and the Nats in particular, not re-enact Animal House when the wife isn't looking.

Sunday afternoons at the park with my son and my friends is my idea of heaven on earth.