Author Topic: Pete Rose's corked bat  (Read 2956 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Pete Rose's corked bat
« Topic Start: June 15, 2010, 09:32:19 AM »
Fascinating article.

You're looking at an X-ray of a Mizuno PR4192 bat, commissioned by Pete Rose specifically for his 1985 chase of baseball's all-time hits record. Inside, clear as day, is a piece of foreign material, about 6 inches long, and the diameter of a nickel. This is the story of that bat.

http://deadspin.com/5555714/this-is-pete-roses-corked-bat

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Pete Rose's corked bat
« Reply #1: June 15, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »
Pete Rose is a knob. Period.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: June 15, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
Not quite as blatant as Sosa, but damn...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: June 15, 2010, 09:45:37 AM »
Its funny that Myth Busters has proven that a ball actually moves slower off a corked bat than it does a regular one.

I guess it always comes down to perception though. If my bat is corked, it must mean I'll hit the ball better.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: June 15, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
Its funny that Myth Busters has proven that a ball actually moves slower off a corked bat than it does a regular one.

I guess it always comes down to perception though. If my bat is corked, it must mean I'll hit the ball better.

Well, a corked bat is lighter, and for an aging hitter, picking up a little swing speed might be just what is needed to keep the average up.  Rose wasn't hitting for power anyway at this point in his career.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #5: June 15, 2010, 09:50:34 AM »

It's not the impact on the ball so much as the lighter weight to get the bat through the zone more quickly.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #6: June 15, 2010, 09:51:58 AM »
Well, a corked bat is lighter, and for an aging hitter, picking up a little swing speed might be just what is needed to keep the average up.  Rose wasn't hitting for power anyway at this point in his career.

We have the exact same time stamp yet you get credit for posting first.    :?

Damn moderators.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #7: June 15, 2010, 10:04:48 AM »
But, if the ball is coming off slower off the barrel, that's going to rob Rose, or any player, of a couple of infield groundball hits. Balls that should be getting through the infield at regular speed were probably dying because of the hollow bat.

I don't doubt that a lighter bat would help Rose... Hell, that's why they have the 3 ounce rule in HS/Little League. A long bat that is light is a very dangerous weapon... I just imagine cork could have a negative result on any hitter... specifically, if as Myth Busters said, the ball comes off the bat "markedly" slower than a regular bat.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #8: June 15, 2010, 10:08:22 AM »

You sure about that? :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #9: June 15, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »
But, if the ball is coming off slower off the barrel, that's going to rob Rose, or any player, of a couple of infield groundball hits. Balls that should be getting through the infield at regular speed were probably dying because of the hollow bat.

I don't doubt that a lighter bat would help Rose... Hell, that's why they have the 3 ounce rule in HS/Little League. A long bat that is light is a very dangerous weapon... I just imagine cork could have a negative result on any hitter... specifically, if as Myth Busters said, the ball comes off the bat "markedly" slower than a regular bat.

I don't recall that the cork provided anything in the way reflex off the barrel (positively or negatively).  Cork was just a way to lighten the barrel to gain bat speed.  The reflex properties of a corked bat was the myth, IIRC.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #10: June 15, 2010, 10:09:58 AM »
That bastard changed the time stamp!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #11: June 15, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
I don't recall that the cork provided anything in the way reflex off the barrel (positively or negatively).  Cork was just a way to lighten the barrel to gain bat speed.  The reflex properties of a corked bat was the myth, IIRC.

Momentum is mass times velocity. Think they can get a proportional speed increase to offset the mass loss? Baseball players and physics sadly are like oil and water.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: June 15, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »
Momentum is mass times velocity. Think they can get a proportional speed increase to offset the mass loss? Baseball players and physics sadly are like oil and water.

but you would think a guy who corked would only do it if there was noticable improvement. Sosa said he used corked bats for bp, assuming he wasn't lying, you would think we would notice that the bats were either easier to put on a show with, or stop using them

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #13: June 15, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
but you would think a guy who corked would only do it if there was noticable improvement. Sosa said he used corked bats for bp, assuming he wasn't lying, you would think we would notice that the bats were either easier to put on a show with, or stop using them

Sosa's an idiot. If you get a quicker bat and long fouls turn into bloop hits, then that's a big deal. But you won't hit more homers. You can chalk up long home runs to BP pitching giving you cookies.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: June 15, 2010, 10:17:16 AM »

Damn moderators.

Look again, young Padawan:

« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:50:24 AM »
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:50:34 AM »

:lol:

I'm thinking that you need some cork in your keyboard, maybe speed up your posts a bit.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: June 15, 2010, 10:22:33 AM »

You're missing the point, methinks.  They don't want faster bat speed to gain more velocity on the batted ball, but rather to be able to get the bat into the hitting zone while the ball is still there.  In other words, to be able to catch up to the pitch, as opposed to swinging late.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #16: June 15, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »
You're missing the point, methinks.  They don't want faster bat speed to gain more velocity on the batted ball, but rather to be able to get the bat into the hitting zone while the ball is still there.  In other words, to be able to catch up to the pitch, as opposed to swinging late.

Next post, sir :lol: I was agreeing with Minty and responded to the wrong post, as is my wont.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: June 15, 2010, 10:28:59 AM »
Sosa said he used corked bats for bp, assuming he wasn't lying, you would think we would notice that the bats were either easier to put on a show with, or stop using them

Why would you assume Sosa wasn't lying?  Of COURSE he was lying.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: June 15, 2010, 12:36:35 PM »
Why would you assume Sosa wasn't lying?  Of COURSE he was lying.

all my heros are getting dragged through the mud

I actually think it's a coin flip on that one

Online blue911

« Reply #19: June 15, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »

No it isn't.It's mass times acceleration.

Online blue911

« Reply #20: June 15, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »

Isaac Newton's second law What the cork bat does is change the density of the bat which is more important than the weight. An easy test is to hit a wiffleball with the standard plastic wiffleball bat,then hit the same ball with a piece of PVC pipe that weighs the same as the wiffleball bat.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: June 15, 2010, 12:45:52 PM »
No it isn't.It's mass times acceleration.

Huh?  What would acceleration have to do with it? 

mass * velocity is correct. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: June 15, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »
Isaac Newton's second law What the cork bat does is change the density of the bat which is more important than the weight. An easy test is to hit a wiffleball with the standard plastic wiffleball bat,then hit the same ball with a piece of PVC pipe that weighs the same as the wiffleball bat.

What does density have to do with it? 

And I'm not sure you could find a PVC pipe that is thin enough to weigh the same as a wiffleball bat, and if you did, it would have the same properties as the wiffle bat, I would think.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #23: June 15, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
Huh?  What would acceleration have to do with it? 

Force= Mass x acceleration - more mass, same acceleration, same force - stronger guy using a bigger bat

if you can't lift a heavy bat but you have quicker hands, you can try to put the same force behind it by bringing it around faster.

Average density = Mass / Volume -> corking lowers the average density, and thus the mass of the bat

A bat moving faster can impart more velocity to the ball. A heavier bat can too.

Look up the constant acceleration equations in a high school physics book and ignore friction, air resistance, etc. for a simplified view of things.

Online blue911

« Reply #24: June 15, 2010, 01:02:50 PM »

And I'm not sure you could find a PVC pipe that is thin enough to weigh the same as a wiffleball bat, and if you did, it would have the same properties as the wiffle bat, I would think.

What do you think mass applies to? Although a ton of feathers and a ton of lead weigh the same, drop them and the gravitational pull on the feathers is less because of the difference in density.

Newton's law deal with the change of momentum, thus f=ma.