Author Topic: Jack McGeary visits Washington, RFK  (Read 2029 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Jack McGeary visits Washington, RFK
« Topic Start: August 04, 2007, 10:14:09 AM »
The Post reported this morning that Nats' sixth round draft pick Jack McGeary is visiting Washington this weekend with his family, including attending games at RFK and a visit to the White House.  McGeary's trying to decide between signing with the Nats, or attending Stanford to play baseball on scholarship.

The Post also reported that negotiations with Josh Smoker remain active.  I'm thinking the Nats want to sign at least one of these two guys, and may be using each against the other a bit as a negotiating ploy. Anyway, great to hear that the McGeary possibility is not dead.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Jack McGeary visits Washington, RFK
« Reply #1: August 04, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
The Post reported this morning that Nats' sixth round draft pick Jack McGeary is visiting Washington this weekend with his family, including attending games at RFK and a visit to the White House.  McGeary's trying to decide between signing with the Nats, or attending Stanford to play baseball on scholarship.

The Post also reported that negotiations with Josh Smoker remain active.  I'm thinking the Nats want to sign at least one of these two guys, and may be using each against the other a bit as a negotiating ploy. Anyway, great to hear that the McGeary possibility is not dead.

Yeah, this was an interesting story. They are taking the right stance with both and are certainly using the media to make their firm position public. McGeary was never expected to sign, but the fact that he is in DC this week is pretty positive.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: August 04, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
I'd like to think they have budget to sign both, but maybe they'd like each of these guys think, budget for one only.  For sure, McGeary's presence lights a fire under Smoker!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: August 04, 2007, 01:49:38 PM »
I'd like to think they have budget to sign both, but maybe they'd like each of these guys think, budget for one only.  For sure, McGeary's presence lights a fire under Smoker!

Where there's Smoker, there's fire!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: August 04, 2007, 07:28:14 PM »
The Nats have been saying all along that they are willing to take the 31b draft pick next year if they cant sign Smoker. Their constantly repeating that fact leads me to believe they wont be signing Smoker at all. Come August 16th (the days the clock runs out for signing either one any unsigned draft picks) the Nats will say that McGreary was too demanding during negotiations and that they were too far apart with Smoker and will take the 31b draft pick next summer...

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #5: August 04, 2007, 11:01:23 PM »
The Nats have been saying all along that they are willing to take the 31b draft pick next year if they cant sign Smoker. Their constantly repeating that fact leads me to believe they wont be signing Smoker at all. Come August 16th (the days the clock runs out for signing either one any unsigned draft picks) the Nats will say that McGreary was too demanding during negotiations and that they were too far apart with Smoker and will take the 31b draft pick next summer...

It's good for them to continue to repeat that they are willing to take the 31b pick. That keeps the pressure on the draft picks. I would only expect one of the two to sign if that. Two would be a shocker to me. But I would rather they take a pick next year than overpay. It isn't about not having the budget, it is about trying to establish a precedent.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: August 05, 2007, 10:02:42 AM »
The Nats have been saying all along that they are willing to take the 31b draft pick next year if they cant sign Smoker. Their constantly repeating that fact leads me to believe they wont be signing Smoker at all.

It may work out that way, but I see that as simply a negotiating ploy.  We have alternatives, so you better come closer to our position.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #7: August 06, 2007, 10:20:37 AM »
Sign em both - get it done - spend that money, Lerner.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #8: August 06, 2007, 11:50:12 AM »
It's good for them to continue to repeat that they are willing to take the 31b pick. That keeps the pressure on the draft picks. I would only expect one of the two to sign if that. Two would be a shocker to me. But I would rather they take a pick next year than overpay. It isn't about not having the budget, it is about trying to establish a precedent.

both need to be signed, and the Lerners need to pony up for them.

the Nats Ownership has been selling us this "Plan", and it is time for the Nationals FO to walk the talk. having unsigned draft picks is terrible when your rebuilding plan is using the Draft as its foundation.

show em the money, Stan, and Mark, and Ted.

show em the money.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: August 06, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »
Perspective is important.  18 of the top 20 picks have been signed, so you could declare the draft a success if it ended here.  But sign one more of these guys, it's been a big success.  Sign both, and there won't be any complaints from me.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #10: August 06, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »
Perspective is important.  18 of the top 20 picks have been signed, so you could declare the draft a success if it ended here.  But sign one more of these guys, it's been a big success.  Sign both, and there won't be any complaints from me.

Agree, as long as they don't go so hog wild in signing them that they open every other contract for renegotiation.

Offline GtownNatsFan

« Reply #11: August 18, 2007, 01:56:54 PM »
that worked out pretty well in retrospect...

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #12: August 19, 2007, 12:05:32 AM »
Indeed. The lerners stepped up to the plate

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: August 19, 2007, 10:14:59 AM »
I should go on vacation more often.  Since departing, they signed Smoker, McGeary, and traded for Willy Mo. 

Shawn Hill > Matt Chico
Willy Mo > Ryan Langerhans

Now, it appears Jason Bergmann is ready.  Who goes down?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #14: August 19, 2007, 01:19:01 PM »
Schroeder or Rivera could go down - the bullpen is crowded, and they said that Bacsik might not make his start.