Should Manny Acta be fired?

Yes
76 (67.3%)
No
18 (15.9%)
Ask me later in the year
19 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Should Manny Acta be fired?  (Read 34024 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Should Manny Acta be fired?
« Reply #25: April 07, 2009, 07:45:52 AM »
I would say yes, but based upon last year. Its too early for this year. CC, Webb, and Liriano got rocked, but I could still see all in contention for a cy young, its only 1 game. Lannan isn't in that class, but he is better than he was yesterday, so is Shell

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #26: April 07, 2009, 08:08:27 AM »
I'm done with  Manny. Milledge is starting in the leadoff slot again. Swing at the first pitch some more, jerk.

« Reply #27: April 07, 2009, 09:01:52 AM »
Ask me later

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #28: April 07, 2009, 09:05:52 AM »
I voted no, but I actually think he could be canned sooner than most observers think.  Like the end of April, if things don't go well. 

Problem is, I'm not sure what to blame him for. Some of the lineup gripes seem to be an organizational decision.  He can only manage the pitchers he has (ok, even then he doesn't do that too well) and when you put a shaky defense in the OF, no manager is going to save many runs. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #29: April 07, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
I have no idea. I have a lot of friends who are baseball fans and NONE of them nag as much as some on here do.

Obviously none of your baseball friends are Red Sox or Yankees fans.  I lived it (without message boards) for better than 30 years and ALL they do is nag.  Even when winning.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #30: April 07, 2009, 09:25:19 AM »
I think Manny's got a short leash.  If we are 15 games back in mid-May, crap-can him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #31: April 07, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »
I voted no, but I actually think he could be canned sooner than most observers think.  Like the end of April, if things don't go well. 

Problem is, I'm not sure what to blame him for. Some of the lineup gripes seem to be an organizational decision.  He can only manage the pitchers he has (ok, even then he doesn't do that too well) and when you put a shaky defense in the OF, no manager is going to save many runs. 

I would blame him for last year (there is enough to go around, but he should get some), and for most of our guys not knowing how to take a pitch. Even if he is free from blame, a clean start now that Bowden is gone might be for the best

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #32: April 07, 2009, 09:49:03 AM »
Haha LOL OMG -- ONE GAME -- FIRE EVERYONE!! wow -- this board is just pure entertainment --

Offline zoom

« Reply #33: April 07, 2009, 09:57:16 AM »
what's going to happen if EB gets a hit off of Olson today? 

We should have fired Manny in the second inning.

Then we should have forced Zim and Lannan to fight at second base. 

Come on, guys.  I agree with some folks that Manny is on a short leash, but nothing is happening until June or so at the earliest (if it does).

We have a new (interim) GM who inherited this mess.  I think once the interim tag is removed, or a new person is given the job, we might see something happen.   The GM, if the Lerners are on board, has an excellent chance to mold this team the way he (or she) wishes with so much payroll coming off the books.  If those that will be staying are collectively under-performing, then that re-shaping might/should start with a new coach.   

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #34: April 07, 2009, 10:28:39 AM »
I have no idea. I have a lot of friends who are baseball fans and NONE of them nag as much as some on here do. It's actually pretty damn frustrating and it makes these message boards less enjoyable.

This isn't directed solely at you, but:

Haven't any of you ever heard of "vocal minority"?

sportsfan by himself posts more than half of the other top 10 posters combined :lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #35: April 07, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
sportsfan by himself posts more than half of the other top 10 posters combined :lol:
I just did the math, if I continue to post at this rate for the next 17 years, 6 months and 22 days, I'll overtake everyone else on the board.

Offline doubler

« Reply #36: April 07, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »
Eh, thats partly what message boards are for...to vent.

That being said, I am in the wait till later in the year camp. So far I hate the lineup, and hate that Willingham is not in the lineup, but am glad baseball is back!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #37: April 07, 2009, 10:35:59 AM »
I just did the math, if I continue to post at this rate for the next 17 years, 6 months and 22 days, I'll overtake everyone else on the board.

I admire your ambition ;)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #38: April 07, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
Haha LOL OMG -- ONE GAME -- FIRE EVERYONE!! wow -- this board is just pure entertainment --
They're obviously making the same mistakes they've always made.  Refusal to be inventive with the line-up card, lack of scouting against the Marlins, sucking off the opposition in the post-game pressers, etc.

Get a clue.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #39: April 07, 2009, 10:38:39 AM »
I'll say this much...  Manny sounded just as bored as he did during most of last year's pressers.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #40: April 07, 2009, 11:01:32 AM »
This isn't directed solely at you, but:

Haven't any of you ever heard of "vocal minority"?

Yeah, that sucks. I'm starting to think that the whole sports message board thing isn't for me. Not that I don't like most of the people here and on other boards, but it's just too much whining for me. I do still like to come here for the Minor League news, though.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #41: April 07, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »
Yeah, that sucks. I'm starting to think that the whole sports message board thing isn't for me. Not that I don't like most of the people here and on other boards, but it's just too much whining for me. I do still like to come here for the Minor League news, though.

Well, I'd hate to see you go.  It's refreshing to have folks who have seemingly undying optimism to off-set the folks with seeming undying pessimism.  You help keep a balance here.

« Reply #42: April 07, 2009, 11:07:44 AM »

Does this posting not constitute a bit of whining in itself?

You so belong on the Internet! :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #43: April 07, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »

i agree ... yesterday was too much for me.  in the offseason, i rattled a few cages about the lerners being cheap but they went out and got a couple pieces and i thanked them for it.  we're not going to be a world series champions, but we shouldn't be as bad as last year. 

and just like that after one day, we've got fans jumping off the wagon, saying "player a" shouldn't ever play again, manny should be fired, etc.  these guys want to win, it's hard when you go down 6-0, but they didn't give up.  hopefully today is better.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #44: April 07, 2009, 11:10:25 AM »
I admire your ambition ;)
I don't think I'll make it past next week, but you never know I guess.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #45: April 07, 2009, 11:10:53 AM »
Do we have a mid-50s, bald, fat minor league coach with classes we can call up and lead us to the playoffs?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #46: April 07, 2009, 11:15:57 AM »
I'll say this much...  Manny sounded just as bored as he did during most of last year's pressers.

He might be broken. He committed himself to being calm so early on that now he is just melting into depression. I don't think I would have been able to be calm at all watching my openning day starter implode.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #47: April 07, 2009, 11:20:37 AM »
Does this posting not constitute a bit of whining in itself?

I guess you could consider that whining. :D

I'm actually talking about the nonstop nagfests, though. That's the crap I can't stand.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #48: April 07, 2009, 11:21:36 AM »
I guess you could consider that whining. :D

I'm actually talking about the nonstop nagfests, though. That's the crap I can't stand.

I'm going to try to get the ignore function working again, if that helps.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #49: April 07, 2009, 11:22:03 AM »
I'm going to try to get the ignore function working again, if that helps.

:worship:

stay, ronny!