Author Topic: Wild Card  (Read 1425 times)

Nationalzfanatic88

Wild Card
« Topic Start: September 07, 2005, 11:51:52 AM »
You know looking ahead I dont see any way that anyone can beat the Astros for the Wild Card. No, I'm not being pessimistic but think about not only do they have Roger Clemens, Roy Oswalt and Andy Pettite (who in my opinion are no better than Patterson, Hernandez and Loaiza) but they also have the easiest schedule ahead by far. I'm pretty sure that most of their remaining games are against losing teams. Also, while they're getting to beat up on the weaker opponents of the NL Central, all the NL-East teams including the Nationals are going to be beating up on each other. You know dragging each other down the standings. I know baseball is a game of miracles but all logic points to the Astros winning the wild card.

And also, you guys are exaggerating how important yesterdayz game was, As long as we win either today or the game Patterson pitches. We'll be in good shape and I dont see why we cant win the first two games of the series against the Braves since we got Loaiza and Livan pitching.

Izarkrane

Wild Card
« Reply #1: September 07, 2005, 12:31:45 PM »
Hey, fanatic, it's because of your excellent points in the first paragraph that winning this series is so important. To secure the wildcard spot, we can't lose ground to the Astros. We can't just stay in the middle or towards the bottom. We have to excel. We have to rival the Astros all the way down the line.

Offline UMDNats

Wild Card
« Reply #2: September 07, 2005, 05:27:32 PM »
clemens, pettite, and oswalt are a lot better than loaiza, patterson, and hernandez.

but the astros are scary

can u imagine a playoff series vs oswalt, clemens, and pettite??

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Wild Card
« Reply #3: September 07, 2005, 06:56:26 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
clemens, pettite, and oswalt are a lot better than loaiza, patterson, and hernandez.

but the astros are scary

can u imagine a playoff series vs oswalt, clemens, and pettite??

Clemens: 11-6, 1.57 ERA
Pettitte: 14-9, 2.42 ERA
Oswalt: 17-11, 2.84

Hernandez: 15-6, 3.80 ERA
Patterson: 8-4, 2.44 ERA
Loaiza: 10-10, 3.62 ERA

If  you do the math, it's 33-20 for Nats trio vs 42-26 for Houston trio.  That makes a nearly identical win percentage of about 62%.  Therefore, I agree with fanatic.  Sure Houston's big three are more recognizable names with lower ERAs, but winning is all that matters, and they've done no better job at that than our big three have.  Not to mention the 8 or 10 no decisions that should have been wins for Patterson (if not for anemic run support) and the rash of awful games for Hernandez.  Overall I think we have some of the best pitching in the Majors, I don't care what anyone says.

Offline UMDNats

Wild Card
« Reply #4: September 07, 2005, 08:54:07 PM »
i do think we have some great pitching; dont get me wrong, i love our guys and think they are great.

but when all 3 of the guys have ERAs of below 3.00?? thats pretty scary.

patterson would be in the race for the Cy Young if only he had better run support of if the Bullpen didnt blow one or two games.

i mean, the big 3 for the nats have been awesome, and winning is most important. i guess theyre just better in different ways; astros pitchers dont give up as many runs, nats just find a way to win.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Wild Card
« Reply #5: September 07, 2005, 09:08:38 PM »
This year's wild card race = a bunch of stinkers.  You'll get no argument from me about the "scary" factor of Houston's pitching, but they're really no better of a team than anyone in the NL East, if even that good.  That said, they'll probably end up getting the WC for the exact reasons stated by fanatic.

Offline UMDNats

Wild Card
« Reply #6: September 07, 2005, 09:10:49 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
This year's wild card race = a bunch of stinkers.  You'll get no argument from me about the "scary" factor of Houston's pitching, but they're really no better of a team than anyone in the NL East, if even that good.  That said, they'll probably end up getting the WC for the exact reasons stated by fanatic.

i agree with you there. i almost hope they get it cause the phillies and marlins are division rivals. the marlins are probably the best team in the WC race: good pitching, veteran leadership, good offense.

Izarkrane

Wild Card
« Reply #7: September 07, 2005, 09:11:09 PM »
Anyone notice when Rick Short got substituted for second base? Does that mean he'll get to bat second too? In place of Cruz?

Offline UMDNats

Wild Card
« Reply #8: September 07, 2005, 09:13:33 PM »
mlb. com has him hitting 9th.