Author Topic: Capps deal leads to Smith's Firing  (Read 496 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Capps deal leads to Smith's Firing
« Topic Start: November 08, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »
Let’s take a look at the most recent deals that cemented Smith’s demise, so to speak:

For all the second-half wizardry, one such deal looms large on Smith’s list of boners. “Capps for Ramos” is a phrase that will evoke some of the most heinous reactions seen in the otherwise friendly area known as Twins Territory. This was one of the rare deals that left even the average fan scratching its head, even if their logic wasn’t necessarily astute. See, the hype around Ramos at that time reached a fevered pitch after his Jimmie Foxx-esque debut. It wasn’t hard to connect the dots for the average Joe; an oft-injured catcher ought to have a good backup. Still, if Twins fans were overrating Ramos, it appears Smith and the Twins brass underrated him just as much, and promptly dealt him to the nation’s capital for closer Matt Capps.

Oddly, Smith already had a taller, tatted version of Capps in Rauch already in tow, not to mention Capps’ skill set isn’t that of a shutdown closer, and that he was just a half-season removed from being non-tendered by the Pirates. Pesky details aside, Ramos hasn’t exactly lit the Pentagon ablaze offensively in his season-and-a-half out east, but a 3.1 WAR catcher doesn’t grow on money trees, either. Truth is, if Smith knew the club couldn’t continue to turn to Rauch in saves situations – a well-beaten talking point in Twin Cities media circles at the time – why did he turn to an almost identical pitcher, and beyond that send premium talent? This may have been the beginning of the end for Smith, even though Capps fared well down the stretch.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/eulogizing-the-departed-bill-smith-fired/

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: On Bill Smith's Firing
« Reply #1: November 08, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »
JCA I'm not sure exactly what you'd choose as an alternate title so I guessed, but this certainly didn't belong in the "Fire Rizzo" thread.  Let me know if there's another thread you'd like to merge it with (like the "Rizzo's Fine" thread, or whatever tom renamed it to :? )

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: On Smith's Firing
« Reply #2: November 08, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »
(like the "Rizzo's Fine" thread, or whatever tom renamed it to :? )

You can change it back if you want. :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: On Bill Smith's Firing
« Reply #3: November 08, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »
JCA I'm not sure exactly what you'd choose as an alternate title so I guessed, but this certainly didn't belong in the "Fire Rizzo" thread.  Let me know if there's another thread you'd like to merge it with (like the "Rizzo's Fine" thread, or whatever tom renamed it to :? )

Wait, what did tom do this time?

:-[     :bag:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #4: November 08, 2011, 04:15:24 PM »
You can change it back if you want. :lol:

I prefer playing the victim :bow:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #5: November 08, 2011, 04:15:39 PM »
Wait, what did tom do this time?

:-[     :bag:

Keepin' me down, like always.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #6: November 08, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »
I prefer playing the victim :bow:

Fair enough, I will enjoy my absolute dominion over however many characters may reside in a thread title.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: November 08, 2011, 08:28:33 PM »

I was looking for a Ramos thread, but i came across this and I thought that since the Capps-Ramos deal with Rizzo was a key part of Smith's downfall, I thought putting it here might be a nice comeback to those who think Rizzo can't make a deal.

I thought most of the "Fire Rizzo" stuff was ridiculous, so seeing him praised by outsiders is kind of nice.

Offline The Chief

Re: Capps deal leads to Smith's Firing
« Reply #8: November 08, 2011, 10:25:24 PM »
right so why would you want to bury an actual interesting story in that thread? :)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Capps deal leads to Smith's Firing
« Reply #9: November 09, 2011, 08:57:03 AM »
right, Chief.  I was really looking for the Ramos ROTY thread but did not dig further back than 3 pages.  I/M/O, the Fangraphs piece understates just how good of a rookie year Ramos had.  There was the article from NBC saying it was one of the top 5 rookie years for a catcher in the past 50 or so.  That is darn impressive.  As much of a Norris fan as I am, I no longer consider Ramos a place holder and think he may really be a block for Norris, making him trade bait.  Deal him to the Twins in a Span package, perhaps, and see if we can keep Clip and Storen.