Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF  (Read 74330 times)

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Re: Follow The Prospects: Destin Hood, OF
« Reply #500: February 05, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
The term "prospect" for me indicates either a very high probability of being a 3 WAR contributor (think Espinosa as he proved the ability to maintain hitting ability in AA and AAA) or having a very high ceiling, like someone who could possibly be a 4-5 WAR player in the majors even if he's not producing great numbers in the minors (think Aaron Hicks in 2009-2011).

But Hood is a non-producing corner outfielder whose major league ceiling is probably .350/.475 and is nowhere close to reaching that ceiling. Non-prospect for me. Doesn't mean he can't develop and contribute eventually, given his youth and decent (but not great) tools.

I'm not his biggest fan, but he produced well in the two years before this one when he dealt with injury. He's got all the physical tools in the world, he's shown the beginnings of using his body to hit for power and he's developed a propensity for getting on base. That's a good prospect. You're referring to a Brian Goodwin/Anthony Rendon/Matt Skole level prospect right now.