Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88134 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
What about Shields?

I'm intrigued by him

I think we get a pitcher (if we can make it work) and a catcher would be sweet

I think if we get Shields, it's a sign we're not giving a long term deal to Edwin Jackson. Which I'm okay with.

And for Mike Stanton, everyone not named Harper and Strasburg is available. Rendon, Meyer, Goodwin, Purke .... whoever. Trade Morse/LaRoche for the best prospect we can get (eat the salary) and combine that with the best package we can.

Thought I think this is some sort of ploy to motivate the Marlins.

Offline Hondo

If we let Jackson walk it's likely we will get draft compensation.  what do you guys think?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
If we let Jackson walk it's likely we will get draft compensation.  what do you guys think?

I'm not sure how the new system works... and if he'll qualify or not.

Offline hammondsnats

I'd love to get Shields.

Would bolster the rotation for the present and the future.

Shields/Upton :az:

get a catcher too ... let's gooooooo.

Offline Hondo

via wiki:
After the 2012 draft, free agents will no longer be classified by "type". Instead, a team will only be able to receive compensation if it makes its former player an offer at least equal to the average of the 125 richest contracts.[29] However, if a player is traded during the final season of his contract, his new team will be ineligible to receive any compensation.[30]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Draft#Free_agent_compensation

I'm not sure how the new system works... and if he'll qualify or not.

Offline Mattionals

Rendon, Meyer, Goodwin, Purke .... whoever. Trade Morse/LaRoche for the best prospect we can get (eat the salary) and combine that with the best package we can.

Good lord, trade the farm and get him.  Please do it!  Giancarlo + Harper + Zimm + Ramos + Desmond + Moore = ULTRA POWUH!

I think if we get Shields, it's a sign we're not giving a long term deal to Edwin Jackson. Which I'm okay with.

Yeah, I really like Jackson, but I'd be really happy with Shields as the number 4.

Offline Slateman

Good lord, trade the farm and get him.  Please do it!  Giancarlo + Harper + Zimm + Ramos + Desmond + Moore = ULTRA POWUH!

Yeah, I really like Jackson, but I'd be really happy with Shields as the number 4.

I'd even throw in Detwiler to that mix. If only Flores or Solano had shown that they were MLB catchers ... or if Rendon had actually played this season ...

Offline hammondsnats

I'd even throw in Detwiler to that mix. If only Ramos or Solano had shown that they were MLB catchers ... or if Rendon had actually played this season ...

Ramos is a MLB catcher you dummy

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Ramos is a MLB catcher you dummy

I was going to say somethin of this sort.

Offline Slateman

Fixed :lol:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
I'd love to get Shields.

Would bolster the rotation for the present and the future.

Rays are ALWAYS willing to deal --- I'd go after him if it's at all plausible

Offline mach1ne

According to @Ken_Rosenthal #Nationals in on Dempster, Liriano & Greinke as well as CA Ramon Hernandez

Dempster would require too much for a rental and it would go against the earlier article about the Lerners saying they dont wan't rental players

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
Dempster would require too much for a rental and it would go against the earlier article about the Lerners saying they dont wan't rental players

Dempster greatly increases our chances for a world series run so exactly where is the line that makes him cost too much?

Dempster-Gio-Zim is a world series caliber rotation.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The Rays still have a decent shot at making the wild card. I don't see anything involving Shields as more than preliminary talks.  He'd be the type of guy moved on 7/31.  I'm guessing that they could go forward with a rotation led by Price, Moore, and Hellickson, with Cobb, Archer, maybe Niemannn if he's cheap, and Alex Torres filling out the staff.  I'm guessing they would want prospects types (I think they could use catching) or maybe a cost controlled major leaguer (Espinosa would be a nice fit and would slide into SS) and lesser prospects.

Offline DPMOmaha

I haven't seen much in terms of what they're asking for.  Have you?

Offline sportsfan882

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Profile of starting pitcher the #Nationals want: Veteran with playoff experience. #Cubs' Dempster fits. So does #Mariners' Kevin MIllwood.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
#Nationals do not want to part with major prospects. Might be more inclined to grab someone like Millwood for lower price than Dempster.

I'd love to get Dempster but not a big fan of Milwood.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Really hope they pick up Ramon Hernandez in the next few days. Flores is getting close to not even hitting his weight.

Offline NatsTheFats

Really hope they pick up Ramon Hernandez in the next few days. Flores is getting close to not even hitting his weight.

Hernandez is having a worse year than Flores at the plate.  Is he an upgrade defensively?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Hernandez has been hurt (just coming back from DL) and has a much better career track record to go off of.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
No to Millwood.

I agree with NFA Brian -- Brandon McCarthy would be an interesting target. Injured now, but possibly back before deadline

Offline NatsDad14

I'd love to get Dempster but not a big fan of Milwood.

What is playoff experience supposed to mean? Millwood hasn't played in the playoffs in 10 years. Dempster has 1 career playoff start and he had 7 walks in 4.2 IP in that outing.

Offline NatsTheFats

Hernandez has been hurt (just coming back from DL) and has a much better career track record to go off of.

It's a friendly contract.  3 mil next year?

Offline Slateman

Trade for Mauer and Span

Upgrade CF, upgrade at catcher, upgrade in payroll :lol: